Feb 27 2011

How to get a Thai visa in Phnom Penh

Published by at 7:30 pm under Visas

Royal Palace in Bangkok, Thailand

Get a visa to visit Thailand in Phnom Penh

If you’re looking to visit Thailand, you may be eligible for a free 30-day visit. Nationals of 42 countries entering Thailand by air are granted a 30-day stay and those crossing by land are granted a 14-day stay.

If that’s not enough time for you, you can apply for a 60-day tourist visa before entering the country. This visa will allow you one 30-day extension for a total of 90 days in Thailand.

To apply for a 60-day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, you’ll need:
* One completed application form (a blank one can be picked up at the embassy);
* One recent colour passport-sized photo (photos will be rejected if not taken recently);
* Proof of onward travel.

Citizens of the following countries must submit five passport photos and five copies of their application: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

The fee for a 60-day tourist visa is $35, however, until March 31, 2011 all tourist visa fees are being waived.

Non-immigrant visas are also available for between $65 and $350, depending on which kind you get. You can find more information on the Phnom Penh Thai Embassy’s website.

The consular services office hours are:
Visa applications: 08:30 – 11:00, Monday through Friday, except public holidays
Visa collections: 15:00 – 16:30, Monday through Friday, except public holidays

The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh has a reputation for being both unfriendly — yours truly was hung up on twice while writing this post — and alternately strict and permissive regarding visas. Those who do regular Thai visa runs say that Phnom Penh seems to be less stringent about allowing those with multiple previous tourist visas to get another, in comparison to embassies elsewhere. Moreover, some visitors report being able to get double-entry tourist visas quite easily in Phnom Penh. When I spoke to an embassy representative he said that they usually only issue single-entry visas.

Visa processing takes three working days if you visit the embassy yourself. However, if you use an agent, the turnaround time is usually just one working day. Agents — of whom you’ll find dozens in the Phnom Penh riverside area — can get 60-day double-entry visas for a processing fee of $10 to $40.

Royal Thai Embassy
#196, Norodom Blvd, Phnom Penh.
T: (023) 726 306
Royal Thai Embassy, Phnom Penh website

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “How to get a Thai visa in Phnom Penh”

1. ibikaon 24 Aug 2011 at 2:56 pm

just applied for a two month visa here in PP.. the thai consualte are being really unhelpful and pedantic.. they would not issue me a visa unless I had an air ticket out of the country.. even though i explained I would enter by land and leave by land..and I have been to thailand 40 times in the last 5 years and alwasy left!!.
    they also wanted a hotel booking receipt… I said what for 2 months??
    Im told this has happened with the change of govt.. so good to see the land of the free is moving to more control, beaurcracy and the sniff of fascism..
    by the way I happen to come from perhaps the most wealthy nation on earth at the moment…one booming from digging up its minerals and coal and flogging it to india and china..so woe betide you if you come from a poor country…like ireland or greece..ha ha

2. Lina Goldbergon 26 Aug 2011 at 12:33 pm

It appears that they have just tightened up the Thai visa rules, not just in PP.

You can book a hotel in advance that will allow you to cancel — some of the online booking sites allow that.

3. ibikaon 26 Aug 2011 at 1:12 pm

thanks lina, yes its from the top.. but Im interested in the energy behind it.. they have only been in power a few weeks and they have made this move already.
    for what reason??.. Ive noticed in thailand in the last few years that the country is moving toards more and more control…buddha help us..even in a suppsed buddhist country..they want to contol everything and everyone.. maybe go back to the Dhamma 101 and take a read..

4. Linaon 26 Aug 2011 at 4:22 pm

ibika — can you post about it on our forum here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/15663_rules-for-thai-tourist-visas-changed-agsin

People are wondering if this is really being enforced so I think hearing your story will be really helpful!

5. NKon 05 Jan 2012 at 6:08 pm

Our family just successfully negotiated the Thai visa hurdles here in Phnom Penh. We had no proof of onward travel nor of booked accommodation. Luckly, after a tip from some Brits, we included a copy of our bank statement with our application and we picked up our 60-day tourist visas today. They cost $40 each, due upon applying, non-refundable.

6. japthaon 25 Jan 2012 at 5:55 am

Thanks a lot for the update NK.
    How long did it take you to get the visas?
    Did you apply directly at the embassy or did you go throug one of the agents in the river side area?
    And can confirm the opening hours :
    Visa applications: 08:30 – 11:00, Monday through Friday, except public holidays
    Visa collections: 15:00 – 16:30, Monday through Friday, except public holidays
    Thanks.

7. Johnon 19 Apr 2012 at 8:27 am

NK,

I heard of someone else doing the same thing recently. Do you know how much they would like to see in your bank account?

Thanks,

8. [...] notoriously painful process of obtaining a Thai tourist visa in places like Vientiane, Penang, or Phnom Penh? If Bali is on your itinerary, obtaining the visa here is akin to gearing up for a long, dull day [...]

9. Johnon 11 May 2012 at 8:43 pm

As of right now, You can provide your bank statement of the last three months and get a single entry Thai Visa. If you don’t want the hassle of going and having to answer questions, then I suggest going using a travel agent. I went to World Express Tours and Travel in Siem Reap and it only cost me $45. They also have a Phnom Penh office http://www.worldexpresstour.com.

10. Paulon 15 May 2012 at 5:32 pm

In phnom phen can you get the visa in 1 day or does it take two or three thanks in advance

11. Johnon 24 May 2012 at 5:42 pm

It takes 3 days. Be sure you ask if there are any Thai or Cambodia holidays that may delay getting your passport back. Ours was delayed a couple, because of holidays.

12. [...] notoriously painful process of obtaining a Thai tourist visa in places like Vientiane, Penang, or Phnom Penh? If Bali is on your itinerary, obtaining the visa here is akin to gearing up for a long, dull day [...]

13. keithon 04 Mar 2013 at 12:54 pm

hi everyone i am at Phonm Penh now for a tourist visa, my advice is not to come here for a visa, very unhelpful and takes 4 days to come back. I have been to Vientiane, Burma, Malaysia and never had any problems with either tourist visa or non B and got the next day and so boring here

14. Vadon 03 Apr 2013 at 1:25 am

Can i apply for a Non-Immigrant visa?
    I have condominium in thailand and it is in my name. I want to apply a Non-immigrant visa because when I apply a two months visa it’s cost so much for my flight many time. And I alway stay in thailand.
    Last time I did have one Non- immigrant visa.
    Thank you.

15. Vadon 04 Apr 2013 at 3:16 am

Can i apply for a Non-Immigrant visa?
    Last time I did have one Non- immigrant visa.
    Thank you.

16. Daon 19 Apr 2013 at 4:20 am

I am Cambodian i want to apply for business visa so what i have to do ?how long time to get business visa? and how much ?will have any problem if Cambodian people work at Thailand? Thanks in advance

17. jimmyon 07 Aug 2013 at 12:12 pm

can i apply Non Immigrant Visa at thai embassy Phonm Penh ? for senegal passport

18. Abigail Gilberton 22 Aug 2013 at 4:06 am

You’ll need to contact the Embassy directly to find out – use the link in the article for the Thai Embassy website.