Apr 06 2011

How to get a Vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh

Published by at 1:31 pm under Visas

Sign that reads Visa to Vietnam at the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh

Get a visa to visit Vietnam in Phnom Penh

Getting a visa for Vietnam while in Phnom Penh is no problem, and in fact, is probably cheaper than in your home country. The cost of visas for Vietnam vary embassy by embassy, but are almost always cheaper to get in Asia, and particularly in Cambodia.

Citizens of most Western countries need to obtain a visa in advance before entering Vietnam. Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Japanese and South Korean citizens can enter Vietnam for 15 days without a visa, and citizens of Cambodia, as well as Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore can visit for 30 days without a visa. Everyone else needs to secure a visa before entering Vietnam.

Despite rumours to the contrary, there are no visa-on-arrival schemes for Vietnam. There are, however, pre-arranged visas that one can purchase online and pickup at certain airports. These visas are often cheaper than the embassy visas. Just Google “Vietnam visa on arrival” to find an agent. Last year, I used MyVietnamVisa.com with no complaints. If you’re looking for a one- or three-month single or multiple-entry visa, getting one pre-arranged is easy and reliable. Six-month visas are no longer available, either online or at the embassy.

The one option available in Phnom Penh that isn’t available online is a 15-day tourist visa. These can be only obtained through travel agents and not through the embassy directly.

In general, going to a travel agent in Phnom Penh will get you a visa in the same amount of time and surprisingly, it’s often significantly cheaper than going directly to the embassy. Travel agents are generally able to offer the service for less because they reportedly shuttle your passport down to the Vietnamese consulate in Sihanoukville (which does the visas super-cheap). There are hundreds of travel agents all over town, so ask around and check prices.

Here are some prices that I was quoted in March:

15-day visa Embassy: Does not offer this type. Travel agent: $34-38
1 month visa, single entry Embassy: $45 Travel agent: $39-45
1 month visa, multiple entry Embassy: $70 Travel agent: $55-59
3 month visa, single entry Embassy: $80 Travel agent: $65
3 month visa multiple entry Embassy: $110 Travel agent: $80

You’ll also need one passport photo for all visa types. Visas are typically processed in one to three business days, both by the embassy and through agents. Expect to pay a surcharge for express processing.

As long as you’re not worried about your passport heading down to Sihanoukville, there’s no real reason to go to the Vietnam Embassy in Phnom Penh, as you can get most visas more quickly and for less money either online or from a travel agent.

However, if you feel safer going directly to the embassy, or find it’s a good place to meet new friends, the Vietnam Embassy’s Office of Consular Affairs is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 – 11:45 and later from 13:30 to 17:00. On Saturdays they are open from 8:00 till 11:30. They are closed on both Vietnamese and Cambodian public holidays.

Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam #436 Monivong Blvd, Phnom Penh.
T: (023) 726 274.
vietnamembassy-cambodia.org

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “How to get a Vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh”

1. AGROon 13 Sep 2011 at 6:06 pm

You can also mention that citizens from The Philippines being part of ASEAN, get 21 days stamped upon arrival, no visa needed.

2. hcmc dudeon 04 Apr 2012 at 5:59 pm

There *are* Visas on Arrival in Vietnam at the Ho Chi Minh City Airport (Airport Code: SGN). I see people getting them every time I get off a flight.

However, if you want to get a visa that is longer than 30-days, I believe you need to visit an official Consulate/Embassy before arriving in Vietnam.

3. lynon 02 Jun 2012 at 5:17 pm

HCMC Dude – the people picking up visas that you see at the ‘landing visa’ desk when you arrive in HCMC have had their visas pre-approved. They have obtained an invitation letter through an online agency and have brought that with them. They can then obtain their visa on arrival. Without this letter, they will not be able to enter the country.

4. ChiDzungon 19 Jun 2012 at 10:45 am

To apply visa fro Vietnam from Embassy of Vietnam in Phnom Penh: send your information to facilitation45@gmail.com [ mail box of the Travel Facilitation Program on 45th Anniversary of Vietnam-Cambodia Diplomatic relation]. You can get the application form to fill-in, get processed in one day, get your code number, go to the embassy with your code number and get the visa fixed.
    Address: 440 A Monivong Blvd, VISA section
    All sorts of questions should be answered via this mail box.

You also can ask your travel agent to apply for you.

5. sanon 03 Dec 2012 at 2:09 pm

I have a question about 15 days visit VIETNAM. IF SOMEONE travel Vietnam for 15 days from South Korea, can he take visa to South Korea while he is in Vietnam?

6. Stuart cameronon 22 Jan 2013 at 3:51 am

Is it true that a tourist including an American tourist does not need a visa at all if he or she only goes from outside Vietnam to Phu Quoc island and returns within 15 days?

7. AlegreViajeroon 24 Jan 2013 at 12:50 pm

All the prices above are wrong. As of January 23 2013 – the day I went – I saw the price list on the wall. I don’t remember for the 1-month, since I was only interested in the 3- or 6-month. The 3-month single entry is $105 and 6-month $135. With an extra $10 you get it “on the spot”. Which I did. I then went out on the other side of the street and started to walk back to Capitol, hoping to jump on the next bus to Saigon… Which I did! I was out of Phnom Penh in 20 minutes!!! Beat that!

8. Naveen and Robinon 16 Feb 2013 at 6:52 am

Hi.
    we just wanted to let people know that from 2013 the prices for the vietnamese visa has changed. its 60 dollars for 1month single entry. and 85dollars for 3month single entry at the consulat in sihanoukville. it takes 10minutes and the people in there are werry helpfull and nice.
    the consulat is also open on saturday. at least in the morning from 8 to 12.

9. Winon 07 Mar 2013 at 7:16 am

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could confirm whether the Vietnam Embassy in Phnom Phen is closed on March 8th (tomorrow is Int. Women’s Day and the Vietnamese Embassies in the US are closed)

ps. I’ve never seen a woman working at this embassy…don’t know if that matters:)

If anyone might know, please reply!

Cheers

Win

10. Abigail Gilberton 09 Mar 2013 at 5:33 am

Hi Win

International Women’s Day is a public holiday in Cambodia. Although it’s not observed by everyone, the Embassies are likely to be closed.

If you need to get a Vietnamese visa, don’t forget you can use travel agents too!

11. Maron 13 Mar 2013 at 9:59 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me if possible to get a vietnam visa in Phnom Penh staying only around 30 hours there? AlegreViajero: did yoy get it from a travel agency or at the embassy?

Thanks a lot

12. Abigail Gilberton 14 Mar 2013 at 8:05 am

I would suggest you go to a travel agents very early in the morning, and it would be possible to get your passport back with a visa within 24 hours. You may have to pay a little more for the express service, though.

Otherwise, consider using the online service mentioned above and then you won’t waste time in travel agents when you could be enjoying Phnom Penh!

13. Maron 14 Mar 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hi Abigail, thanks for your quick response! What online service do you mean? I am planning to enter to Vietnam by bus not by plane and everything that I have read about doing things online is for people entering via airports

14. Abigail Gilberton 17 Mar 2013 at 3:54 am

Ah, if you’re crossing by land then you will need to get a visa before you arrive. Think Phnom Penh is your best bet, in that case. Any opportunity to extend your time there by a day, to give you the security of knowing that you can get the visa sorted? You should also check public holiday dates – Cambodia has quite a few of them, and embassies will not be working on those days.

Alternatively, can you get a visa before you get to this part of the world? I believe you can have your visa forward dated for entry.

15. Trevor Mileson 17 Apr 2013 at 10:11 am

I just heard from a friend that 6 month or even 1 year long Vietnamese visas can be received in Cambodia. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

16. VIVIANon 19 Apr 2013 at 4:42 pm

hi i’m going to go to Phnom Penh to update my visa. Anybody know the price for 1 month single and 3 month single in April?

The Vietnam visa policy and price seems changing always.

I’m living in HCM by myself, the travel agency here told me that the foreigners should go abroad (leave vietnam) once every 6 months, after you come back from other country, you can prolong visa with a cheap price 35USD for 3 month single entry, if you don’t go abroad, you have to pay more than 100USD to prolong your visa . But one of my Korea friend said from feb 2013, he no need to go abroad, and prolong his visa once every 3 months with 35USD only……
    I don’t know which one is correct?

By the way, anybody want to go with me together?

17. Ryanon 12 May 2013 at 2:29 am

hi Vivian,

I am also confused to about this but anyway will need to go to Phnom Penh

before august I was thinking to go and re-enter since now i have a mutiple entry visa I was told you can extend 2 times in country after leaving then re-entering Vietnam but no idea When is your next trip there? I am also looking for sum one to go together with send me an email VietnamRyan@yahoo.com

18. sureshon 13 Jul 2013 at 4:47 pm

hi friends, this is suresh from india… i would like to travel Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam… for me Cambodia visa is not a problem..but the problem is only Vietnam visa. yeah the travel agent in Vietnam who are doing the visa on arrival asking me to pay US$50 for visa approval letter (one month single entry)…then i have to pay US$45 at airport.. but usually they collect US$20 for visa approval letter except for Indians.. so i feel like this US$95 is very high amount.. so is it possible to get a visa in Cambodia much cheaper than above case… if i can can you provide the details ….

19. brianon 13 Feb 2014 at 3:48 pm

hi, how long does it take to get a 15-day travel visa from a travel agent?

i’ve searched everywhere, but there is not much info on the 15-day visa, is it definitely a valid visa to get into Vietnam? is it easy to obtain from a travel agent or hotel desk?

thanks,