Dec 27 2011
It’s not easy to get hold of information about ongoing events in Siem Reap. If you’re lucky your hotel will hold a copy of AsiaLIFE magazine, an excellent guide to what’s hot in Cambodia other than the weather, and they also carry events guides for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap each month. Taking their cue, we’ve compiled a highlights list of events that you can look forward in 2012’s first month as a taster for the kinds of things you can enjoy here right throughout the year.
* Permanent exhibition Elegy: Reflections of Angkor by John McDermott is at the McDermott Galleries, FCC and The Passage. John’s magical images have developed iconic status and The Passage gallery is also home to a number of rolling exhibitions that are definitely worth a look.
* Endangered at the Hotel de la Paix Arts Lounge and Thev Gallery.
* Khmer Empire/Mothers of Love at the Friends Gallery at Angkor Hospital for Children. A wonderful exhibition of paintings and sculptures by renowned Cambodian artist Tor Vutha.
Monday 30 January, from 19:00: At 1961 the opening of two exhibitions, Velvet by Kampot-based artist Vincent Broustet, and Somewhere in Sudan by Phnom Penh-based Canadian photographer Heather Stillwell.
* Tuesdays at Chilli Si Dang: Live music and open mic night.
* Wednesdays at X Bar: Jam session, 18:00–23:00.
* Thursdays at the Heritage Suites Hotel sees incredibly talented live sax player Stevie Cadd during happy hour at the cocktail bar, 18:30–20:30.
* Fridays at the Warehouse: Open mic night with Richard Besley, rock, folk and blues, from 21:00.
* Fridays and Saturdays at The Station: A dance, music and comedy special with the Lady Boy Revue, from 21:00.
* Saturdays at Linga Bar: The fabulous Diamond Paradise Drag Show, from 22:30.
* Saturday 28 at the Warehouse: Karaoke Mayhem from 22:00, if you dare…
* Cooks in Tuk Tuks street food tours run daily from the RiverGarden Hotel at 16:00.
* Monday to Friday at Molly Malone’s: Early bird specials on the restaurant and steakhouse menus from 17:00 to 18:30
* Wednesdays at Soria Moria: $1 training night. An excellent selection of special small dishes and drinks all available for $1, 19:00–23:00.
* Fridays at the Ivy 2: $1 tapas night, including $1 cocktails and a wide selection of vegetarian dishes, from 18:00.
* Tuesdays and Sundays screenings at the Siem Reap Film Society. Check out their facebook page for an update on what’s showing at this really special little art-house cinema.
* Mondays at Soria Moria are movies on the rooftop bar with free popcorn. From 20:00.
Sports and leisure
* For information on the Hash House Run, check out the website of their local organiser.
* For information on yoga in Siem Reap, check out our comprehensive posting here.
* For information on Siem Reap’s famous pub quizzes, check out our guide here.
* Tuesdays at Siem Reap Hostel see salsa classes held from 18:00 to 19:00.
* Saturdays at the RiverGarden see Zumba classes on from 17:00.
* Wednesday 11 January to Sunday 15 January: Angkor Handicraft Fair at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor Gardens. Stalls from more than 60 associations in Cambodia, plus many more from all over Asia and Southeast Asia.
Travelfish.org always pays its way. No exceptions.