Jan 02 2012

How to extend your Malaysian tourist visa (Social Visit Pass) in Kuala Lumpur

Published by at 5:06 am under Visas

Malaysia has one of the sanest and most hassle-free tourist visa procedures in all of Asia, with most visitors being granted a free 30-to-90 day Social Visit Pass on arrival. Compare that to virtually every other country in the region, which are not only more stingy with the time they grant travellers, but also charge them into the bargain.

Where red tape is a way of life.

Where red tape is a way of life.

For the vast majority of visitors to Malaysia, such a generous allotment of days in their visa means never having to deal with the Immigration Department, which is a good thing, to say the least. It’s not really the fault of the frontline staff — many of whom are surprisingly helpful — rather that the rules and regulations they operate under are completely insane.

Blue skies thinking in short supply.

Blue skies thinking in short supply.

Should you wish to extend your  Social Visit Pass — they can in theory be extended twice, for 30 days at a time — in Kuala Lumpur, you’ll need to head to the immigration office (Mon-Fri, 07:30-13:00, 14:00-17:30), which moved in late 2011 to a new complex in the middle of nowhere. Getting there by public transport may be a nightmare (one near-mythical bus from KL Sentral, RapidKL U83), but it’s once inside the building that the fun really begins. Nearly everything to do with foreigners is dealt with by one room on the first floor (follow the signs which say visa, pas & permit).

This way madness lies.

This way madness lies.

Once inside the room, join the queue at counter 21, where you will be given a number, and at least one form to fill out. The numbers are only called out in Malay, so keep your eyes peeled on the electronic boards. Expect even the simplest of requests to involve visits to several different counters. Try to stay calm and polite at all times, however time-consuming and convoluted the process is.

Patience is not just a virtue but a necessity.

Patience is not just a virtue but a necessity.

Each extension to a Social Visit Pass costs 50 ringgit. While an extension should in theory only be granted if you have a good reason, such as illness, in practice, the first extension should be given without too much fuss, and possibly the second one too.

New office, same lack of seats.

New office, same lack of seats.

Although it might seem like more bother, a better option overall is simply to leave Malaysia for a few days, and get a new Social Visit Pass. The easiest (and cheapest) way from KL is to get a bus or train to Singapore. But this is also the border crossing where immigration officials are most likely to give you trouble. It is perfectly legal to get back-to-back Social Visit Passes, so try not to be intimidated into paying a bribe.

Ways to avoid hassle include:

– Always having an onward plane or train ticket;

– Leaving Malaysia for at least three days;

– Mixing up the places you do visa runs to;

– Opting for airports rather than overland crossings.

Clearly, if you do several visa runs in a row, always staying until the very end of your permitted stay, then suspicions will be raised. After two to three years, a long break from Malaysia is advisable, or alternatively, get a new passport.

Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri (KDN)
69 Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, off Jalan Duta, Solaris Dutamas
T: (03) 6201 2423

57 responses so far

More still
» Previous post:
» Next post:

Travelfish.org always pays its way. No exceptions.

Agoda logo
best price guarantee

57 Responses to “How to extend your Malaysian tourist visa (Social Visit Pass) in Kuala Lumpur” ...

  1. Geoff Won 02 Jan 2012 at 5:55 pm

    … Many thanks for the above info. regarding extended visa stays in Malaysia. We will be in K.L. in ten days time. I had assumed that the info. given to me from what is usually a reliable source was correct and that we would be granted 90 days upon arrival! These things do change though! At least it won’t be a shock if we are only granted 30 days. You have probably saved us a lot of hassle trying to find their new location also! So, THANKS once again … Keep up the good work!

  2. Paton 03 Jan 2012 at 1:27 am

    North Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, and all EU citizens get the full 90 days. I suspect that Gulf Arabs may get 90 days too. ASEAN citizens only get 30 days. I would imagine citizens of affluent Asian countries like Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, get 90 days. But I do know (mainland) Chinese and Indians have to apply for a visa in advance. The same goes for most of Africa, but I’m not sure about North Africa, or for that matter, Latin America. Sarawak has different rules, if you enter Malaysia there, but if you go there from another part of Malaysia, your Social Visit Pass is valid.

  3. Samiraon 18 Jan 2012 at 1:20 pm

    Many thanks to yr source, it really helpful on the information, as for yr information visit pass can be extended to 90 days from the arrival date.im from vietnam, today i came to immigration office in jalan duta to extend visit visa to another one month, but to my surprised they said my visa cant be extended. i asked them why because as i know and many of my friends before can extend the visit pass. they just said cant only given 1 months and that it.i have no choice but to leave the office with a very sadness.

  4. Paton 18 Jan 2012 at 1:54 pm

    Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the post, citizens from ASEAN countries only get one month (as Malaysians do when they visit Vietnam), compared to 90 days for nationals of (rich) western countries. It doesn’t make much sense to me, but then again, Thailand now gives overland travellers just 14 days, which can only be renewed if you leave the country.

  5. Abbason 16 Feb 2012 at 12:47 pm

    Please help me ASAP!
    hi dear,
    I am from Afghanistan and i have an offer letter from Malaysian university which my class will be started next 27Feb,so i went for getting visa(required) but they need an approval from immigration of Malaysia which take at least 4weeks therefore i dont have time to wait for that but if i fly and in airport is there any chance for me to get a short(or long) social pass? if i enter can i convert it to student visa without any bother to leave country and re-enter?

  6. Paton 16 Feb 2012 at 1:15 pm

    I’m afraid Travelfish cannot give this sort of personal advice. You are going to have to talk to Malaysian immigration directly, and see if they can help. As a general rule, it is sometimes possible to convert a social visit pass into a student visa without leaving Malaysia – but it is up to the discretion of immigration officials. Good luck with getting your visa.

  7. Samiraon 16 Feb 2012 at 5:52 pm

    for what i know if u got an offer from university than the university must hv responsibility to do student pass for u, once u submit yr visa they will issue u a letter, with this letter u can be legal untill yr student visa done. i dont know why u hv to go to do visa for yrsf. anyway i dont know how to give u advice u should better go to immigration office,they can give u instruction.and last option for u is u have to leave the country and come in again.thus, u can show yr offer letter to immigration office then they can extend yr visa up to 3 months with out leaving the country.wish u luck

  8. Matton 03 Mar 2012 at 4:39 pm

    Hi Pat,

    Thanks for the info on this topic. It is the most detailed and accurate information I was able to find.

    Quick question, I’m a US citizen and I came to Malaysia in January and was granted a 90 day tourist visa on arrival. A month later my passport was stolen. I got it replaced and they told me I had to go to Putra Jaya and get a visa confirmation from them so when I leave the country they will not give me any problems at the airport. I put on my jungle clothes and went to Putra Jaya to the immigration building and was there for an entire day. Finally they asked me for 100 RM and they asked me when do I want to leave the country. I told them in 4 days so they stamped a 1 week visa in my passport. something came up and now I need to stay for another 1 week so the visa they gave me must be extended. Do you think it will be the same process all over again? Knowing that my original lost 90 day visa still has more then a month validity in it but the one they gave me later expires this coming Monday.

    If you have any info on that please let me know before I head down to Putra Jungle again.



  9. Lihon 06 May 2012 at 2:27 am

    Hi Pat,

    Thank you for the info, and also thanks the main writer on this topic. Now I know what to do if I need to stay longer than one month in Malaysia. I have been volunteering in Malaysia for 3-6 months on social pass. I used to get three months upon arrival, but now I get only 1 month with a Singapore passport. It is frustrating when I heard a British gets the full 90 days (3 months) upon arrival recently. Your post surely clears my doubt about the different standards.

    I thought of applying a long term social pass for my volunteering work, but it could take up to months before I get it.


  10. jrdon 10 May 2012 at 7:49 pm

    Hello there…i have a question about applying 3months social visit visa…I am actually a citizen of Philippines working here in Malaysia. Now my wife is with me carrying a social visit visa for 3months. Now her visa period is ended. I don’t want to extend. But is it possible that we exit to Thailand and then apply there a new 3months social visit visa to Malaysia? I really appreciate any answers as this is very important to me…thanks in advance.

  11. mahdiehon 25 Jun 2012 at 11:50 am

    hello, i have a quick question i’ll be thankful if you answer,
    me and my fiance study in Malaysia, my fiance completed English courses in one university and now wants to start degree in other university in gombak. previous university extended via for especial pass several times and now he need to exit and enter Malaysia, in order to submit the passport to new university for issuance of student pass, could you do a huge favor and suggest the most shortest (in time) and cheapest way to exit and enter Malaysia? maybe only for one night?

    i really need your help, thanks

  12. Paton 25 Jun 2012 at 12:04 pm

    The quickest and cheapest visa run is to get a bus to Singapore and back – but try not to exit and enter on the same day, or to come back late at night, because officials at this crossing have a tendency to extract “fines” when they can. Evidence of onward travel arrangements (i.e. air ticket out of malaysia), helps enormously.

  13. icoon 06 Jul 2012 at 9:14 am

    hi. thanks for the info.. I just want to know if i can process my extend visa in johor bahru immigration? go to kl is really far. is it possible?

  14. simply_irison 14 Jul 2012 at 11:32 am


    My bf’s 90 days visa is about to expire next month. Is it safe to exit in Singapore or Thailand? How soon we have to exit here in Malaysia? is it 2 days before the expiration date of visa or more? We plan to stay in SG or Thailand for 5 days to be safe but after that can we both easily back here in Malaysia???

  15. Joanneon 20 Jul 2012 at 5:47 am

    I have a cousin sister visiting us; she is from China. Her visa is valid for 1 month only to stay in Malaysia. May I ask can she extend her visa to stay longer in Malaysia. How to do that?

  16. rhetton 05 Aug 2012 at 5:05 am

    Hello there… i really appreciate any advice from you guys….I am a citizen of the Philippines…I succesfully got 3-months visa in Malaysian Embassy at Philippines when i applied. Upon arrival in Malaysia, the immigration stampped me a 90 days stay in Malaysia. After 90 days passed, i had applied and granted another 2 months extention for my visa. Now the two months also come to an end. Is it possible i go exit to Thailand and apply again a 3 months visa in Malaysian embassy in Thailand even i am a citizen of Philippines? Because going back to my country and apply again is too expensive for me…Please help…thanks a lot.

  17. simply_irison 13 Aug 2012 at 8:39 am

    Hi rhett,

    we plan to apply visa extension tomorrow in putra jaya… wat reason do you state in the form?? Hope you can help me…


  18. Orbiton 22 Aug 2012 at 10:27 am

    What would be the starting date of the granted social visit pass extension?
    1) The Day after the Last day of the existing 30 day social pass.
    (This way we get 60 days in total with 1 granted extension)
    2) The day on which we go to immigration office for requesting extension ?
    (current social visit pass’s remaining days are lost)

  19. Asifon 10 Oct 2012 at 9:32 am

    can u please give me the full address of the Immigration Office including the phone number? Is there only one, in Putrajaya? or is there another one in KL?

  20. samon 15 Oct 2012 at 4:33 am

    Hi Pat, thank you so much for sharing the info. I am just looking for an agent that can help me processing working visa.I just traveled to Malaysia on tourist visa to look for a job.I have computer animation expertise and I have applied for couple companies in Kuala lumpur and they all liked my work ,I just have problem with getting working permit since none of the companies are willing to apply for my working permit. I am just wondering if anyone knows an agent or someone who can help me.. I would appreciate any help and guidance.

  21. riseandshineon 10 Nov 2012 at 2:17 am

    hi Pat, i would like to ask u a question..is it possible to convert tourist visa into work permit?? without leaving malaysia? my bf is from India. *i hope u understand my question,i’m not good in english*

  22. amriton 11 Nov 2012 at 5:28 am

    hi I am from india and I have 3 month toriest visa. but entry for 30 days. than my entry is finesh I am over stay in 5 days I have apply for special pass.. can u tell me after special pass may I go to Bangkok

  23. safder alion 19 Nov 2012 at 5:15 pm

    sir ,
    i have Malaysia visit visa for 1 month . i want to study so its possible or not .
    please sir give me some advice what i do to continue study ?????????
    i m waiting
    best regard.

  24. CeeLoon 27 Nov 2012 at 11:09 am

    Safder ali:

    If you want to study, you’ll need to apply to a university/college before the course starts. Get your visa approval before you travel to Malaysia. You can also apply for the student visa while you’re in Malaysia in your tourist visa. But it is always advisable to get visa approval before you come for studies.

    Hope this helps.

  25. Dafnion 27 Nov 2012 at 1:34 pm

    Hi, thanks for the information.

    Is there any other place in Malasya to do the procedure?

    I am in Penang, I want to stay more than a month and I am a Mexican citizen, which means that to get into Thailand (closest border) when my Malay social visa expires I would need a Thai visa that costs a 1000 Baht (Which I would only use for 24 hours!) and I don’t want to go all the way to Kuala Lumpur. Please help!

  26. thidaon 05 Dec 2012 at 7:18 pm

    Any time gap of coming to malaysia as a tourist? I visit malaysia for 14 days and back to cambodia. Can i come to malaysia again after 5 days from cambodia?

  27. khulbiron 23 Dec 2012 at 3:54 pm

    Hi there, my gf is from Japan and have been visiting me here in KL for many times until her passport is full of Malaysian chop..

    But the other day she was stop by the immigration due to suspicionas working without permit. But no. She has just been visiting me and always been granted for a full 90days.

    By preventing such events happening again, is it possible for her to extend her stay here? As her only reason is for me.

    Pls advise..
    Best regards.

  28. Samantha Brownon 28 Dec 2012 at 1:32 pm

    Sorry but we’re not really sure — you’d have to check with immigration directly I think.

  29. Kateon 31 Dec 2012 at 1:03 am

    Hi, I thought visas had to be applied for at Putra Jaya office? But you have the Solaris Dutamis address at the end of the article… ? The article itself doesn’t once mention where the hq is, other than in the middle of nowhere…
    Also I think the cost is actually RM100, isn’t it? 50 for visa and 50 processing fee… that’s what their website says anyway. I’m about to find out.

  30. adminon 31 Dec 2012 at 1:07 am

    Hi Kate — Good luck and let us know how you fare — will update the story accordingly.


  31. Haranneon 12 Jan 2013 at 5:48 pm

    Hello sir
    My fiancee work in Malaysia and planning to come stay with him for 3 months
    I have a free visa for 14 days only
    Is it possible to extend my visa or visit pass once I wld be in Malaysia ???
    Pls need you answer …thkx you very much

  32. Irfanon 18 Jan 2013 at 6:00 am

    Hi, I want to ask something if you don’t mind. I’m a student from Indonesia in Malaysia. My student visa is going to expire on this 23rd of January. I couldn’t extend my visa as my next course only will commence on March. I’m suppose to go out from Malaysia before or on 23rd of January. If I’m going back to Indonesia/Singapore just for a few days, and later I will going back to Malaysia as a visitor (ASEAN visitor granted a free visa for maximum 30 days-if I’m not mistaken). Is this possible for me to come in as a visitor and not as a student ??I would like to stay until March to get my student visa in Malaysia.
    Thanks in advance.
    Please advice.

  33. Tuan Rizmil Sinnenon 31 Jan 2013 at 9:43 am

    Dear Sir / Madam,

    My wife and kids came from Sri Lanka, sri lankan passport holders arrived in Malaysia on the 10th Dec, and now they are at selangor. My kids are studying at one of the leading international school in malaysia and her visa school is handling. My nephew and my wife’s brother traveled with my family to arrange their accommodation and assist them and they will come back in about another 15-20 days.

    They have to extend their visa for another 1 month…pls advise the documents that thye should bring and how they used come to reach there?

    Thanks/ Regards

    Rizmil Sinnen.

  34. Samantha Brownon 05 Feb 2013 at 5:46 am

    Sorry but we really can’t help you! This is a very specialised question I’m afraid.

  35. amiraon 08 Feb 2013 at 7:39 pm

    hi, i want to ask u about vist visa for 90 days.. can pakistani vister extend their vist visa for 90 days????????? or not?????plz reply soon

  36. Hopeon 14 Feb 2013 at 3:47 am

    Im Algerian. Ive been granted a 30 days visa, but I did a lot of research saying that Algerian passport holders are granted a 90 days visa at the arrival which cannot be extended. The official website of the malaysian embassy in Algiers and so the malaysian immigration office webiste confirm that to me, however, that’s not what Ive been granted at the arrival.

    Could you please tell me exactly where the immigration office is in KL, so that I go there to extend my visa?


  37. GKon 25 Feb 2013 at 2:05 pm


    I’m Namibian, my wife has a scholarship at a Uni in KL and has her stuff sorted. I surely want to accompany her to study at my own cost though. Is it advisable to come on a 30-day tourist visa, look for admission at any college/uni while in Malaysia and convert to a study visa once i find suitable admission from there. In case the study visa application takes longer that 30 days can i extend the tourist visa while in Malaysia?

  38. Abhi....on 27 Feb 2013 at 1:32 am

    Hi Guys,

    My Wife is pregnant and my mom is in KL to help us out during this. but my mom is on tourist visa that here as i have planned to convert it to social visit once she arrives but somehow it got delayed.

    can someone suggest as what I can do now, like
    1-how to extend tourist visa
    2-how many days exit is required if I plan to exit and enter again to malaysia
    3-any other way round.

  39. Francison 20 Mar 2013 at 9:06 am


    I’m from the Philippines and currently on a business trip here in KL.
    Does this apply to business trips?

    Thank you!

  40. Chris Lamon 02 May 2013 at 5:48 am

    I’m from Vietnam and travelling Malaysia for a month! I found the way to travel to Singapore overdate 1 day for my Social Visit Pass! Then I need to see Immigration Officer and they approved to Exit Malaysia. But on that day I had trouble when I met Singapore Immigration. I was not able to to enter Singapore. They send me back to Malaysia as my airline ticket from KLIA. I met Malaysia Immigration and I had a special visit pass for 7 days and a letter to KLIA.
    Bcoz I ‘m planning to work in Malaysia as I had 6 years experience in HR feild. I have an appointmentfor my interview on the day when I need to leave Malay
    Pls advice me if I want to stay more than 7 days what do I need?
    Tks and kind regards

  41. Samantha Brownon 02 May 2013 at 5:51 am

    I’m really sorry Chris but we can’t provide that sort of advice! You’d have to check with the relevant authority directly to be sure I’m afraid. Good luck!

  42. Faisalon 13 May 2013 at 5:23 am

    If for a requirement, I extend my social pass visa, shall it effect me in future for visa again?

  43. Lauthaon 17 May 2013 at 2:22 am

    Hi. I’m practical student from Indonesia. I undergo training in one telco company in KL starting from 29 April-28 May 2013. I entered Malaysia on 27 April (I need to search for accommodation and other thing that matters) and got 30 days social visit pass. It means, my visa would be expired on 27 May right, but my training period ends in 28 May and my return ticket is on 30 May. I should apply for the special pass as well or is there any suggestion for me?

  44. adminon 18 May 2013 at 3:34 am

    chris lam,
    u should go to thai border cross and then come back again with new pass.

  45. Dalmion 21 May 2013 at 6:16 am

    I need your advice. I came Malaysia with Tourist visa 90 days ( Actually I had student pass last year but expired even my passport also expired I didn’t bring it with me). so when i came i thought only i need less than 2 months then back to home but still i need more time therefor i did apply for student pass at my University and I got it ( started from March/2013 to January/2014 for one year).
    Here my questing may i will face problem when i go back home with immigration officer.
    even my study not finish i need go home(go home in july-2013.) then come back after 3 months.

    please advice me!!!

  46. johnon 22 May 2013 at 11:33 pm

    dear sir/madam
    i am in malaysia right now almost 2 years now! i am from nigeria, i submitted my passport to my school technic campus in puchong on feb 11 2013 for another 6 months renewal of my visa,after one week i call my school,to follow up with my passport,my school told me that my passport is in the immigration for approval,week after week calling my school to follow up! the same answer givin to me that my passport is with the immigration,and i feel something is not right! i went to my school to inform them that i need to make a police report,mr gopi in the school told me to come to school to meet them before i make police report,i do go to my school and the same promise my school give to me! i waited for there promise that my passport is with the immigration waithing for appoval 3 weeks o sign of my passport,i did make police report,and went to immigration in putra jaya and find out if my passport with immigration,to my sorprise i was inform one of the immigration offecer that immigration do not hold passport so long,now i went back again to my school and the same answer given to me by my school,then i told my school the girl in my school counter that i am just coming back from immigration 30mts ,then only she get up and went inside to inform mr gopi of what i just inform her that my passport is not with the immigration,after 15mts mr san come out and holding my passport,i was so happy,later only i realize when i open my passport no visa in my passport i already over stay in malaysia 3 monts,my world just like god,and i was given options to pay rm2500 for clearing my over stay by mr san,or face deportation! i ask why do they do that to me! what did i do! i know nothing about it! i told mr san in my school i will collect my passport,i went back to immigration to find out! was so greatful enought immigration give me a letter to clear my over stay my self! my night mare is not over yet! i went back to my school to sent my school representative because thats the requirments of immigration,and my school reply to me was,they wont come to immigration with me! i do not know what to do please i need help! i made 2nd police report that my school dosent want to follow me to immigration,i was inform that police cannot take action i have to go immigration,,,,please help

  47. johnon 22 May 2013 at 11:52 pm

    i inform the immigration offecer in putra jaya that my school wont come with me to immigration,but according to the offecer thats the immigration requirements to confirm that i am really study in that school,i was in my school yesterday i meet my school agent from nigeria we call him only by the name of agent ope,he inform me that some of the student get arrested from the school because of there passport hold by the school technic campus in puchong,he inform me that school refuse to go to where the student get arrested too.i am writhing this hope to get help! my parents sacrifices to send me to study here! i do not want to disappoint them!,,,,,need help…..please….johntito18@yahoo.com

  48. Chris Lamon 06 Jun 2013 at 1:57 am

    Hi Sir!
    Can u give me an advice for my case.
    This was second time I met trouble with Immigration Officer. My first problem is overstay 1 day but I went to Singapore and they didn’t allow me to pass then I went back Vietnam after 7 days (based on Malaysia special extension).
    After 1 month, I travelled to bkk and I tried going to Malaysia by land. But I was given a NOTICE OF REFUSAL OF ENTRY at Hat Yai Immigration Office. Officer told me reason of refuse that I got problem last time so he didn’t allow me to pass. He told me if want go Malaysia you use flight.
    My question is:
    1. Can I still go Malaysia after 2 days since the day I was refused by using flight from Hat Yai – LCCT or Phut Ket-KLIA?
    2. How long can I go back Malaysia if I got a NOTICE OF REFUSAL LETTER from Hat Yai Immigration Office?

    My purpose to Malaysia is to learn Bahasa Malay. ButI I learn from my Malay friend and by myself. I just want to stay there for 3 months more. Can u pls help me!
    Thank so much for yr help!

  49. Chris Lamon 17 Jun 2013 at 2:58 am

    Dear Sir & Madam,
    Pls help and give me some advice?

    Thanks & kind regards!

  50. Mafruhaon 26 Jun 2013 at 8:45 am

    Hi I have already extended my social pass for 1 month which is gonna expire on 5th July.i want to know if I want to extend for another one month can?any procedures

  51. hasanon 06 Jul 2013 at 8:33 am

    hello sir.. i got a visit visa for 3 month.. can i extend for 3 month more?? or less than 3? thanks alot

  52. julieon 09 Jul 2013 at 7:33 am

    hi im fromphil. can i extend my stay in malaysia after 1 month?and how much it cost if ever i can extnd. pls tell me about t his information it will be hlpful for me. thank u…

  53. Arieson 15 Aug 2013 at 6:25 am

    Hi! I just want to ask how many days processing it will take if the company will extend my visa for another 1 month. Do they have to give my passport to the immigration and leave there? Hope for your reply. My contract is end and company hold my passport. Thank you.

  54. Vanon 19 Aug 2013 at 1:35 am

    So today I came back to Malaysia for a new social pass after few attempts to extend my visa when I was still in this country yet unsuccessful. 1-2 days before my visa expired, I came to the immigration office in Penang and asked for an extension. After waiting for a while, the officer told me that the purpose for extension was not reasonable and she could only give me one more week, then she suggested me either going to the immigration head quarter in Putrajaya to ask for extension or going out of the country and then coming back. When I came to the head quarter, the officer told me that Vietnamese passport could not be extended, then I decided to go out of the border to Singapore and come back to Malaysia for a new social visit pass. When I arrived at LCCT today, the officer at the immigration department asked me for a return ticket to Vietnam and required me to go to the immigration office few steps away.

    I followed his direction and went to the office to ask for a new social pass. After a while trying to explain my situation with the officer, that I came back to Malaysia to finish my application form for university, but he ended up giving me a special pass of 14 days with a stamp “To report at the immigration office HQ Putrajaya”. The officer said that I spent too much time in Malaysia (The first time I stayed 6 days, second time 8 days and 30 days in July) and next time I could not visit this country with a normal social pass, I had to apply for Student Pass or something like that if I wanted to come back here which was such a good thing because I absolutely don’t want to come back. Before applying for extension, I looked up on the internet some information regarding this issue. Most of them said that many people could get a new social pass by leaving Malaysia and coming back, aka making a u-turn. I don’t know if it works to other people, trust me, it didn’t work to me.

    Would you please explain to me what it means by “To report at the immigration office HQ Putrajaya”? Does it mean I must go to head quarter in Putrajaya before I leave?

  55. rayon 27 Nov 2013 at 6:58 pm

    My gf from laos she visits me few days every mth as in visiting pass. I planned to get her work here as now she work at thailand as housekeeping. As she wish to apply job at hotel as housekeeping. i check with hotel hr i been told she need to have work permit. What i need do b4 she arrive…

  56. Vishnuon 20 Jan 2014 at 11:43 am


    I am an Indian staying in Malaysia with a tourist visa. When I entered Malaysia I was provided with a 30 days visa, but at the end of 30 days I wanted to extend it to 30 days more. Hence, I searched internet completely but got no other information other than the one in this site. But, even this site did not answer my questions completely about whether there are chances for me to get 30 days of extension and how easy or difficult is it and what type of reason would be valid. But, finally I decided to take risk and went to the Immigration Department at Putrajaya. Here is my experience:

    I reached the immigration department around 3 pm in a taxi. Taxi driver asked me why am I going there this late since there would be a lot of people there. When I reached there outside the actual room there was a counter where tickets where issued. I was happy that they were still issuing tickets. They handed me a IMM55 form and asked me to fill up also had to take a xerox copy of my current visa and passport front and back pages. Xerox machine was available there. In the IMM55 form I wrote all my personal details and number of days of extension as 30 days and my reason: “Due to my illness, I was not able to visit all the places that I had booked through my travel agency. I wish to celebrate “Chinese New Year” in Malaysia”.

    There was only two lines available hence I was able to write only that much. I was given a ticket number and I went into the actual visa issuing room. The room was filled with people and I thought they may not call my number since I was late. But in less than 30 mins my number came up in the display board and I went to the counter with all my support documents and the form. (I had support documents like the list of places I wanted to visit, visited and yet to visit places, booking with my travel agency, tablets that I bought for illness, etc.). The officer got the form and the xerox copies along with my passport. I asked, “Sir, do you need any supporting documents?”. He smiled and said, “No, please be seated”. I went back with a shock thinking what is happening, isn’t there any interview, he didn’t ask me any questions, reason for extension, will they call me back again for discussion…… a lot of questions in my head. From then, I kept on waiting. At 3.45 pm, all display boards turned off and all officers started moving out. I thought might be break. After 30 mins some of the officials came in but display boards never turned on. Most of the people in the room disappeared. After long time, one official came with a lot of passports and started calling the ticket numbers to the cash counter. My number was not there. This process continued until 5 pm. It was written that the cash counter would be closed at 5 pm but it didn’t. My number never came up. I showed my number to an official and after some time he told me that my passport is at the counter at the other end of the room. I ran to the other end and there was a queue but the counter was not cash counter, it was inspectorate. I read in internet that extension would cost me RM 50. So, since I was not called to cash counter it means that my extension was not granted. Finally, when I reached front the officer gave me my passport and I asked him, “What happened, Sir?”. He said, “You go back now”. I asked, “Why sir, am I not granted with extension?”. He said, “Will you please look at the passport and then ask me questions?”. I opened my passport and found a new visa with 30 days extended. I was completely in a shock with surprise. Yes, it was that easy!!! I got my extension for 30 days, but it was written in the visa that “No more extension is allowed”. And, for my surprise it costed me nothing.

    Moral of the story:
    Only one time extension will be given for an Indian Passport with 30 days extension.
    This extension is free of cost.
    No problems with reasoning for the stay.
    The process took only 2 and half hours for me.

  57. johnon 24 Aug 2014 at 4:48 pm

    can I enter malaysia with my tourist visa to be expired in two weeks

Leave a Reply