May 18 2012

Getting a Thai visa in Kuala Lumpur

Published by at 2:46 am under Visas

If you’re heading to Kuala Lumpur and then onwards to Thailand, the Royal Thai Embassy in KL is a fine place to get a visa. While not quite as painless as completing the process in Bali, we found the embassy in KL to be organised and professional. If you show up prepared, you’ll have plenty of time left in the day to explore the city.

Welcome to KL's least fun tourist hot spot.

Welcome to KL's least fun tourist hot spot.

The embassy issues a range of visas, including business, marriage and education, but at present they only offer single entry tourist visas, not double entry. A single entry tourist visa will get you 60 days upon entering the country with the possibility of extending the visa for another 30 days. The cost is 110 ringgit, which you should have ready in exact change, and they don’t accept Thai, US or any other currencies.

According to the “official rules” posted on the wall inside the embassy and on their website, tourist visa applicants from most countries need to produce one filled out application form (available at the embassy or as a download from their website), a passport with at least six months validity, one signed photocopy of the passport, three 4 X 6 centimetre recent head shot photos, and a copy of onward travel (air itineraries are the standard).

Thailand is waiting for you.

Thailand is waiting for you.

Many reports, however, indicate that the last bit only becomes necessary when an applicant has already used several consecutive tourist visas, in which case copies of hotel reservations and bank statements may also be requested. In some cases applications may be denied for “serial visa runners”, but this seems to be more dependent on the mood of consular officials than any clearly stated rules. While it’s unlikely a first-time tourist visa application would be denied if no proof of onward travel is shown, it is within the power of embassy officials to deny any application for any reason. In other words, if you don’t rub an official the wrong way, you should be fine.

Applicants for other types of visas, and citizens of some countries are subject to further requirements — see the embassy’s website or contact your nearest Thai consulate for more details.

"We want visas! We want visas!"

"We want visas! We want visas!"

Normal processing time for tourist visas is two business days, and the embassy accepts applications from 09:30 to 11:30, with pick up available on the next business day between 14:30 and 16:00 (it says on their website and sign in front of the embassy that pick-up is until 16:30, but they closed at 16:00 when we were there). Visa processing is open Monday through Friday, except on Thai and Malaysian holidays, a list of which are available on the embassy’s website.

Although wait times for submitting applications can be upwards of two hours, the waiting area is air-con and it’s a far more organised affair than, for example, the embassy at Vientiane. There are no on-site facilities for making photocopies or trimming your photos down to the right size, so be sure to double-check that you’ve come prepared. It’s also a good idea to show up before the embassy opens — you’ll have to wait outside for a while but it will save you more time once you’re in.

That's the one you want.

That's the one you want.

The embassy is located on Jalan Ampang, a 1.5 kilometre walk from the Ampang Park LRT (subway) station (KJ9), accessed by the Kelana Jaya Line. Exit to the right out of the station, following the sign for “Jalan Ampang, Jalan Tun Razak, and Empire Tower”. Make a U-turn as soon as you get outside (doesn’t matter if to the left or right), and then go straight past a McDonalds. Cross the street when you come upon the busy intersection and continue straight, staying on the left side of the road. You’ll first pass the French and Spanish embassies and a couple of car dealers before reaching the Royal Thai embassy on the left.

Royal Thai Embassy
206 Jalan Ampan, Kuala Lumpur
T: (03) 2143 2127 ; (03) 2413 2107 ; (03) 2143 2125
www.mfa.go.th/web/1321.php?depid=220

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Getting a Thai visa in Kuala Lumpur” ...

1. Conoron 31 Aug 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks for this, loads of great information, just one question for you. Do you need to fly into THailand (From Malaysia) to get the 60 day visa or can you get it by traveling overland. Cheers

2. Steve Johnsonon 09 Oct 2012 at 3:14 am

Thank you – this was very helpful! Directions were spot on.

I just got back from the embassy and wanted to add that for me (with a USA passport):
    1) Only 1 photo was required
    2) No passport copy was needed
    3) No proof of onward travel was needed

I got there at 9:20am and was the 26th in line when it opened. It took me a little under an hour in the waiting area. It was all very organized.

3. pang wei tengon 11 Oct 2012 at 2:21 pm

hey,i have just finish my visa (60 days) 2 day ago,i already come back from thailand,now at malaysia.may i get other 60 days visa reenter thailand?

4. baibaon 26 Nov 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi, if i have booked flight to Bankok, is it enought to get visa, or I should show aswell initerary of flight, that i will leave this country? Because i would like to bok, flight but im not sure if i will get tourist visa or visa on arrival, which means as lativan i will get only 15 days…

5. Mr Von 11 Dec 2012 at 2:26 am

Unlike Thai embassies official guidelines say for this embassy (or any other one), one cannot get any sort of multiple entries in this Embassy. This means even if you have work permit in Thailand, and otherwise all the papers required for employment, they push them aside and issue you 3 month single entry only. So basically the 550 ringit price for multiple never happens (220 ringit for non-immigrant b single entry).

Experience from last week (December 2012).

6. pete smithon 12 Dec 2012 at 8:08 am

The contact numbers on the Thai Embassy web site (KL) do not work. That is to say, two of the numbers (+603 2143 2125 and +603 2143 2127) appear to be permanently busy. I rang numerous times over two days and on the afternoon of the second day sat pressing automatic re-dial – pressing disconnect in between each call for a solid 70 minutes and every time I got the busy tone. The third number given on the web site (+603 2413 2107) just doesn’t work and has a pre-recorded message stating the number is not in service. Its not unusual for embassy visa staff to make it very difficult to get through to on the telephone (UK and worse yet, USA embassy staff can be almost as bad to get through to), but a permanent busy tone is really a bit too much.

7. Samantha Brownon 15 Dec 2012 at 8:08 am

Sorry to hear that. Extremely irritating and unfortunately not much we can suggest to get around it (other than going in which you can’t do if you’re not in KL, clearly).

8. lalaon 21 Dec 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi, I would just like to thank you for taking the time to post. most helpful. Thai legislation changes with the wind. every embassy, web sight and acclaimed thai lawyer is different. you pretty much summed up every thing, with “incase” extras. all you need to do next is tell me where to go for dinner while i wait! :)

9. mr tareq shekha hasanon 11 Jan 2013 at 4:59 pm

dear sir or madamim
    mr tareq from iraq i want to ask you about visa to thailand,
    can i gate visa to thailand from your embbasy ?i have iraq passport and i have thailand work permit and i have visa but the visa expair on 26-1-2013, but i can’t go back in this time i can go back on february,so my visa be expair and i need new visa,and im visiting malaysia on february so can i gate visa from your embassy i’ll go visit you.

10. Billyon 25 Jan 2013 at 4:51 pm

Theres a bus stop next to Ampang Park LRT exit and its RM1 to the embassy
    or take bus U22, U26 or U30 from Jalan Tun Tan Siew Seng (Next to RHB bank) near chinatown,the fare is RM1.90

11. maryon 29 Jan 2013 at 11:31 pm

hi,i would like to know,i am holder a philippines passport,,but im working as a housemaid in malaysia(means my visa is housemaid in malaysia)so i want visit thailand this chinese new year ,my employer allow me to go,,so do i need take visa in embassy? or no need?please advice me thank you!!

12. alexon 07 Feb 2013 at 8:50 am

hi mary , you got 30days visa on arrival upon any land /airport entry under Asean country to Thailand . The main concern was you re entry to Malaysia. Make sure have valid maid work permit and letter / holiday release from you boss. i presume you on holiday by yourself.

13. ramion 12 Feb 2013 at 4:33 pm

hello sir.

this is Rami with iraqi nationality and im staying in Malaysia since 2008 because im studying here with high school certificate and university certificate and i have been to Singapore and Jordan. I would like to apply for Thailand’s visa for vacation of 5 days.

im wondering if I can get the visa when I apply for it..

thank you and best wishes..

Rami

14. Lashon 24 Feb 2013 at 7:04 am

Thanks!

On their website, I could not find the opening hours, processing times, and specific times to apply and pick up visas.

Since you mentioned that this info is on their website, and since it seems like it should be on there, perhaps I just had ‘brain freeze’ when I checked?

Anyhow, thanks for the info I needed!

cheers, Lash

15. Shirleyon 03 Apr 2013 at 12:00 pm

hi, i’m shirley.
    my cousin’s gf is a china citizen who is working in malaysia.
    she wanted to follow us to travel to thailand next year.
    may i know does she need a visa like us as malaysian?
    if she needs a visa, what’s the documents & procedures needed?

16. abdullahon 03 Apr 2013 at 12:40 pm

hi,
    Am Abdullah from Yemen, and am working in Malaysia as a consultant in A company and i want to visit Thailand for 5 days coming jun 2013 and my visa here in Malaysia will expire in 16 Aug 2013 so can i get a visa to Thailand in jun or i have to renew my visa first here in Malaysia to be able to get Thailand visa, i means is there any requirement related to the duration of my visa expire in Malaysia? …..

17. Brendan leeon 10 May 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi I am in Phuket now I come here only on passport only got 30days I’m Australian ..I really want to stay 3months more.you think the best way is to fly to KL and apply for the visa then fly back or is there a Easy way to this. I have to leave Phuket in 10days

18. alion 01 Jun 2013 at 6:29 am

Hi im in thailand holding iranian passport i have education visa that is about to finish on 9th june im wondering if i go over to malysia can i apply for tourist visa back to thailand ,need to stay here little longer please guide me if anyone has an idea

19. Rajkumaron 26 Jul 2013 at 10:40 am

HI, Im holding Indian passport and I got 1 year multiple entry malaysian visa… Now i wish to travel around Thailand by road from KL city… Can I get Thai visa upon arrival @ Hat yai or I need to go apply for thai visa @ Thai embassey in KL? Please advice… TIA

20. […] I found some other blogs about getting an Indonesian and Thai visa in Kuala Lumpur and learned from their experiences. So to each embassy I only brought a copy of my passport’s data page and the entry stamp to […]

21. Lenaon 09 Apr 2014 at 6:34 am

Well apparently, it is not that easy to get a Thai visa in KL. This is the first time I apply for it in Malaysia, before I did it in China and Vietnam. In neither of those places there was a problem. Here on the other hand, they took my documents, then I waited like for 2 hours, and then they called me up giving me all my docs back including the passport saying that they would call me in 1 week! Just to let know whether the visa would be granted or not. I was surprised, as earlier I had no problems with getting a Thai visa. I am from Belarus, so I don’t know maybe the country you are coming from really matters, however it doesn’t make any sense when I have been already in Thailand for a couple of times.
    Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

22. Tanzilon 21 Aug 2014 at 6:40 am

I applied for Thai visa today and i found it quite organized but still some hv some confusion. Good thing is No Air Ticket needed for application. Some of the countries listed in thai embassy are cnt get visa within 1 wrking day. They need to wait for 7 working days. Specially Bangladesh, other neighboring countries and some african countries need to wait for 7days for approval. In mean time they didnt hold passport just take a copy of application. Moreover all international students those are studying in malaysia they must need to submit college/university travel letter. Those are in working visa they also need to submit documents from company. Nigerian citizen cnt apply tourist visa but they are eligible for Non Immigrant Visa. This is what i found physically in thai embassy. Just wanted to share my experience.