May 31 2011

Discover how to grow a city at Singapore’s URA Gallery

Published by at 10:35 pm under Art & culture


If you’re curious how a backwater trading post blossoms into a high-tech metropolis of more than 5 million people, you can get some insights at the URA Gallery. With so many people in so little space, every detail of Singapore’s growth needs to be carefully planned and the URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) are the people who do it.

Everything you wanted to know about city planning but were afraid to ask

The URA Centre is a big government complex and you walk in to flashy video presentations and displays of Singapore’s latest achievements like Marina Bay Sands to impress passers-through.

To get to the main gallery, also known as the Singapore City Gallery, take the escalator to the second level.The gallery has more than 50 exhibits covering all aspects of Singapore’s growth, from public housing to planning the MRT network. It might sound a bit dull, but the exhibits are surprisingly interactive with lots of video, audio, and computer simulations.

One of my favourites modelled Singapore’s physical expansion; land reclamation grew the island from 581 km² in the 1960s to its current size of 710 km² — Raffles Hotel used to be on the beach! Another interesting fact I picked up here is that only 20% of Singapore’s land is for residential use; the other 80% is set aside for commerce, industry, military bases, and parks. No wonder Singapore’s public housing estates are so crowded.

Do shrunken malls have shrunken price tags?

One exhibit not to be missed is the miniature model of downtown Singapore with impeccable detail, right down to the outdoor pools at the hotels along Orchard Road.  There’s a similar model of the whole island on the ground floor. It’s not nearly as detailed, but I did manage to find my apartment.

As you leave the gallery don’t miss their collection of complimentary brochures – they’re not the usual tourist pamphlets but guides for architectural walks through heritage neighbourhoods like Chinatown and Kampong Glam.

The URA Gallery is less than a 10-minute walk from the Outram Park MRT station, but can easily be incorporated into a visit to Chinatown as it’s beside the Maxwell Road Hawker Centre.  Admission is completely free, though you’ll need to sign in with your name and country. Aspiring city planners and architects could spend hours here, but for most visitors 30 – 60 minutes should be enough.

URA Singapore City Gallery
URA Building, 45 Maxwell Road
T: (65) 6321 8321
Open Mon to Sat, 09:00–17:00, closed Sunday and public holidays
Admission: free!

http://www.ura.gov.sg/gallery/index.html

More still
» Previous post:
» Next post:

Disclaimer
Travelfish.org always pays its way. No exceptions.

Tags: ,

Agoda logo
best price guarantee

No responses yet

Leave a Reply