Jun 02 2011

Getting a Vietnamese visa in Bangkok

Published by at 7:20 am under Visas

Ignore all of the touts in Khao San Road and don’t worry about finding a travel agent to process your visa to Vietnam — it’s insanely easy to get by yourself (and cheaper). You will need: two passport photos (available on the way to the embassy), the visa form itself (available here, or at the embassy), your passport, and a pen. Pen optional as you can probably borrow one from the embassy.

BYOB.

The Vietnamese Embassy has a helpful website but they haven’t updated their fee schedule, so make sure you bring the amount cash you need for the visa you want (see below).

The Embassy’s visa section is located on Wireless Road, directly south of the Phloen Chit BTS Station. From the station, take Exit 2. If you need photos, make a U-turn at the bottom of the steps and walk 50 metres to the Mahatun Plaza Building and find Closeup Photoshop (1st floor). They’ll take a set of visa photos for you for 150 baht. If you already have photos in hand, proceed straight forward to the corner of Wireless and Ploen Chit Roads and turn left. Walk down Wireless about five minutes, passing the Hotel Athenee, and the visa section entrance will be on your left.

Into the abyss. Hope they have snacks.

Single entry visas cost 1,800 baht for four-day processing (hand your passport in on day 1, and it will be ready first thing day 5), 2,300 baht for next day processing, or 2,800 baht for same day processing (must be requested before 10:30). The embassy wouldn’t confirm over the phone what multiple entry visas cost (because it is clearly a state secret), but reports from other travellers indicate it costs around 1,000 baht more.

Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Consular Section
83/1 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
T: (02) 650 8979
Open Mon-Fri, 08:30-10:30, 13:30-16:30

Tags: , ,

46 Responses to “Getting a Vietnamese visa in Bangkok” ...

1. Kelon 16 Jun 2011 at 9:43 am

If you are a UK passport holder planning to visit Vietnam and are currently in the UK, you can now get a visa on arrival for £20 if you fill in the appropriate forms before you leave.However take note its only if you FLY into and out of Vietnam – not if you are planning to go in over the border.

2. Brockon 16 Jun 2011 at 9:57 am

Thank for the good news – I hope they expand this program to anyone travelling to Vietnam.

3. Jonon 29 Dec 2012 at 1:07 pm

Can I leave Bangkok and come back to pick this Visa a week or two later?

4. Randyon 14 Jan 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks for this guide, it was extremely helpful now a year and a half later, especially the bit about the photo place (which is still there).

Bit of an update for you though, I just went in today for next-day processing, and that is now 2500 baht. I didn’t ask about the others.

5. Angieon 07 Feb 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hey guys,

has anybody got an idea how to pre-book a visa if we are planning on crossing Laos-Vietnamese border around mid March? What are our options? I think our bus will go through Nam Kan.

Angie

6. adminon 08 Feb 2013 at 1:13 am

Hi Angie,

You can’t get visa on arrival at any land border with Vietnam so you’ll have to get a visa beforehand at a Vietnamese embassy — Vientiane would be a good option if you are passing through there.

Cheers

7. Elisabethon 27 Feb 2013 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the info the websites so helpful. Just been to get my visa though and as in the comment above its now 2500 baht and you only need one visa photo so we bought more that we didn’t need as already had one. Just to let others know! It’s a simple process otherwise and completely as described in the article.

8. Kurioson 22 Apr 2013 at 4:35 am

They asked 2700 Baht for same day processing this morning. As Elisabeth said, only 1 photo was required.

9. Naomion 25 Apr 2013 at 9:34 am

2013 Traveler

I recently went to the embassy (April 2013) to get my visa. Prices have changed a little. To get a tourist visa the same day, the price is 2700 Baht. To get it the next day, it is 2500 Baht, and to get it anytime after that it is 2000 Baht.

Just a few tips. There are three windows in the office where you can line up. If you are dropping off an application or picking up your visa, you need to go in the tourist visa line. Seems rather intuitive, but I made the mistake of lining up at the “Approved Visa” section for my pickup. I waited a while there before the agent told me I was in the wrong line. Don’t repeat my mistake, especially if you are in a rush.

Also, when they put the visa sticker in my passport (it takes up one page), they put it on a page where I had other visa stamps. It was a little sad since I liked to display my old visas to remember where I have traveled to. So, if you too like seeing your old visa stamps, tell them to put the visa on a new page.

The service is not very friendly, so you might need an extra dose of patience. But as foreigners of whatever country we are, let’s represent our nation well and show respect : ]

Happy travels!

10. Samantha Brownon 27 Apr 2013 at 2:53 am

Thanks for the tips and update Naomi!

11. Alexandria Burnson 27 Apr 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hey, just a question.. I’m going to be heading to Bangkok tomorrow (its a Sunday), will the embassy be open? Also, can I get two visas at the same time? I’ll be re-entering Thailand at a later date, after Vietnam, and I don’t think the standard 16 day land border crossing visa will be enough. Any suggestions? thanks!

12. Samantha Brownon 29 Apr 2013 at 12:19 pm

Sorry for the late response… but embassies are generally closed weekends.

13. Josiahon 07 May 2013 at 4:39 am

Hi there, is it possible to obtain a 3 month visa from the vietnamese embassy?

14. Chrison 09 May 2013 at 8:36 am

Hi – thanks for the info its a great help. Just a question about the forms – I’m wanting to get a 3 month visa – is it the same form as the one month, and if so do I just need to write the expected leaving date as 3 months after arrival? Thanks

15. meganon 10 May 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hey.. i was wondering if i got the visa going through by land would i have to have proof of that i mean how does that work? :/ thaaaAnks :)

16. How to: Teach English in Vietnam | A Walkers Wonderlandon 01 Jun 2013 at 12:57 am

17. David Jon 28 Jun 2013 at 3:53 am

I went through to go get my visa this morning hoping the same-day processing was still affordable. It isn’t even available. No idea why, no reason given just a very unimpressed man glaring at me and repeating ‘MONDAY is early time for visa Mr’. I was there at 8.30am so plenty of time to get it done but it is a Friday so perhaps there was something else more important to be done today.

As I was sitting there weighing up my options a group of about 10 british guys came in and all there for same day processing (it was about 9 by now) and all of them were refused as well. At least it wasn’t my tattoos working against me lol.

Unfortunately I had booked an internet special flight so changing flights is not an option so there goes $200 and yes it’s my own fault, I can cop to that.

Just a word of warning to others not to bank on same day processing being available even if they advertise it. I didnt get an indication of price either sorry.

The last resort seems to be to use an online service that can process an approval letter in under 4 hours, then see if I can make a flight tonight. Does anyone have any experience with these letters being approved/rejected at the airport for visa-on-arrival?

Thanks to everyone for the tips on this page, they are spot on and proved invaluable. Photo guys were awesome and also sell a killer iced coffee :)

To get to the embassy afterwar you get your photo taken, just walk back to Phloen Chit (the main road) turn left and walk to the corner and then turn left again. Signs say Whattaya not Wireless so it can be confusing but you are headed in the right direction. Stay on the same side of the street/intersection as Exit 2 as mentioned above.

BTW there are also a number of other embassies on this street if you are planning your trip to multiple destinations you may be able to do it all in one go.

18. Georginaon 04 Jul 2013 at 10:44 am

I went to the Vietnamese embassy this afternoon(about 16.00, so admittedly late on in the day). I was told that next day processing is not available, even for the extra fee, and the absolute earliest I could pick up my tourist visa is Tuesday (today is Thursday). The man behind the counter was absolutely unbudging on that. Just to let people know, quick turn-arounds at the moment do not seem available, even if you are willing to pay.

But the directions in the article and the above comments are spot on. Thanks!

19. [...] off to the Vietnamese Embassy in Canberra (and paying an arm and a leg), another option is to apply for your Vietnamese visa in Bangkok, Thailand. I’ve opted to apply for mine this way for a couple of reasons; flights to Bangkok are [...]

20. Popon 19 Jul 2013 at 9:03 am

Hello, is it possible to obtain a 6 month or 1 Year visa from the vietnamese embassy?Thanks in advance

21. Kirstyon 24 Jul 2013 at 6:26 am

I went to get my Vietnam visa this afternoon and it was pretty easy. I walked in, went to the desk completed a fairly simple form, glued the photo into the form, handed my passport over to the desk, went to the next desk and paid the money…job done!

This being said, my friend arrived at 11.20am and went to the desk for 11.30am only to be told that the guy had gone home so make sure you are prompt.

Next day visas are 2500 baht.

22. Tony Pricoron 26 Jul 2013 at 10:59 am

Thank you soo much for this invaluable info. I just completed the “same day” processing and it costs $2600B as of July 26, 2013.

I arrived at the embassy at 10:50am and was almost turned away being told it was too late. I expressed my understanding but told them I was due to leave Bangkok over the weekend and had really no other option. He took sympathy and agreed to process my request.

Advise getting there as early as possible if you plan to go on a Friday.

Cheers.

23. Carolynon 09 Aug 2013 at 10:33 am

Just an update. I went Friday, August 9th and arrived a bit before 3pm. I was able to get next day processing for 2500B and was told to come back at 4pm on Monday.
    Also, in case anyone was worried about it, my photo was not quite the right size (I got them in Korea) but it wasn’t a problem.
    Thanks for the info. It was really helpful.

24. [...] http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2011/06/02/getting-a-vietnamese-visa-in-bangkok/ [...]

25. Carolyn R.on 18 Aug 2013 at 3:29 am

My boyfriend and I followed all the steps and were able to get our visas hassle-free. We paid $2500B each for next-day processing.
    I read the earlier comment about the embassy covering up past stamps with the full paged visa and I was quite worried because we both have UK visas in our passport that we still need to use. I explained this the man behind the counter and he asked us which page we wanted the visa on. We picked out blank pages and he then put a little sticky note on that page for the visa to go on. When we got our passports back, the visas were put on that page :). Yay! Our UK visas weren’t covered up :)

26. Chrissyon 13 Oct 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi! Me and my boyfriend arrive in Bangkok next Monday and plan to get our Vietnam Visa’s whilst there.
    Can anyone tell me how long the same day processing is? we plan to get there very early (when it opens at 8.30am) but is the application immediate? or do they ask you to come back that afternoon? I only ask as we are moving on quite quickly (need to be gone by 3.30pm).
    Thank you!

27. tomon 17 Nov 2013 at 8:08 am

hi, does it make a difference if i request a travel or a business visa? i make a visa run and want no extra problems … whats the difference

28. Eleneon 07 Dec 2013 at 4:51 am

Does the embassy work on weekends?

29. Edward Cannonon 13 Dec 2013 at 3:58 am

I just went today to get a single entry visa (four working day processing) for myself and a friend on her behalf (which you can do without any problems, I even signed for her as I filled the application out at the embassy which is very easy to get to).
    The cost however has gone up, it is now 2000Baht per person for the single entry (four working day processing), I didn’t ask how much the other quicker processing times would cost as there were people behind me.
    The photo processing place is still there and easy to find, a very quick service and still 150 baht (for six photos, which is the minimum you can get, but i gave him 200 because he was quick and friendly). They will also cut the photos up for you, although they do provide scissors at the embassy and prit-stick for attaching to the application. If you do find you need a drink before you get to the embassy there is a coffee/drink place inside the photo shop which is pretty good and cheap too.
    Note: I would bring a pen though as you can only ask for one behind the counter (which there is usually a line) and I doubt they like handing them out all of the time. If you don’t have a pen there is a 7 eleven outside of the BTS station.

I hope this helps someone.

30. Jonton 04 Jan 2014 at 6:43 am

Can I just turn up at Hanoi airport from Bkk & get a visa there & then? I’m a uk citizen.. Do I need the letter of approval?

31. adminon 04 Jan 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi Jont,

No – you need to either arrange a visa beforehand (say at the embassy in Bangkok) or arrange a visa on arrival via one of the 12,543,234 Vietnamese travel agents that will arrange one — just Google “Vietnam Visa” and you’ll find them. It costs more than DIY at an embassy, but you can pick it up at arrival.

Cheers

32. Jonton 06 Jan 2014 at 10:48 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to confirm that I went to the Vietnamese embassy today. I followed the above instructions & it was super easy.
    I paid 2700 baht for next day visa.

Cheers

33. Anaon 07 Jan 2014 at 7:30 pm

Is everybody talking about the one month visa? How about a 3-months visa?
    Thanks

34. Caseyon 10 Jan 2014 at 5:33 am

From our experience today, fees are up again.. 3000 baht for same day (if they accept for same day, which is not predictable depending on how many applications they have that day and their mood), 2700 for next day. You can pick up next-day visas starting at 10 AM which is handy if you are leaving next day in the afternoon and want to save a few hundred baht.
    And yes, photo place is nice and has good coffee. :)

35. Jeffon 23 Jan 2014 at 2:59 am

Price update: showed up on January 22nd 2014, and for a Canadian citizen, pickup 2 days later, cost 2500 Baht. I had checked the multiple entry, but the guy said “no”, and was also told that 30 days really means a month (same day out as in) which really sucks when travelling in February. Oh well.

36. Arton 20 Feb 2014 at 12:45 pm

My wife and I followed the instructions to the letter and it truly was a painless experience. Your right too everyone and their dog told us to use a travel agent. Quite honestly I would not recommend it as this was way too easy.
    Thanks for the information.

37. Susanon 12 Mar 2014 at 10:43 am

I just paid 3000 for a 30-day single-entry visa with same-day pickup.

38. Bea Brownon 17 Mar 2014 at 7:11 am

Arrived @ embassy- you can only submit between 8.30-11am, and collect 10-11.30/4-5pm- quoted 2700 baht for same day processing.
    Not super friendly asked as I’d travelled all day if they could help. No was the answer. :(

39. Frankon 25 Mar 2014 at 9:01 am

Is it possible for UK citizen to obtain a multi entry visa from the embassy in Bangkok? The entries will be between mid April and Late June. Probably only two entires.

40. Steveon 11 Apr 2014 at 5:36 am

SAME DAY PROCESSING NO LONGER AVAILABLE:

I just went to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok at 83/1 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330 in hopes of getting a Visa processed same day. A UK national was a few people ahead of me in line and reported back to myself and another American that they no longer do same day processing. He was bummed because he had always had same day processing done here. The agent at the counter informed him that it is a new policy from the Vietnam government. I still waited my turn in line because I wanted to hear it directly from the horses mouth. Sure thing, no same day processing. Not even next day is available. The soonest turnaround time they offered was 5 days for 2700 baht! This new policy threw a serious wrench in my travel plans. I was extremely disappointed in this because Vietnams embassy website has no update on this new policy. So my advice is to plan in advance and do not expect the same day processing as was offered before.

41. Mehulon 22 Apr 2014 at 3:17 pm

I’m not sure why everyone is going to the embassy to do this. If you get the visa approval letter online and then pay the fee at the airport in vietnam it costs $65 which is 2100THB. It is no cheaper going to the embassy and a lot more hassle/time.

42. Hasanon 21 May 2014 at 9:06 pm

Bummer about the same-day processing no longer available, that’ll really screw up my plans as I am arriving Friday 7-am and hoping to get it done same day in order to catch a tour to vietnam via cambodia.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to get same-day processing from Cambodia or is that too much risk (as I will only have max 1 day in Phnom Penh)?

And thanks Brock for the article, much more useful than the official embassy website lol.

regards,
    H

43. cathyon 11 Jun 2014 at 5:16 am

HELP …Vietnam tourist visa info please
    I read that the visa approval letter online is illegal and will not work, as the airlines will not let you board the flt to Vietnam without a tourist visa in hand from a Vietnamese embassy.
    Has anyone done this visa approval letter method lately, like in may or June 2014?
    thanks Cathy

44. Eizzion 04 Jul 2014 at 10:55 pm

Is see the message from Steve about same-day processing not being available. I notice this was on 11th April, which was a Friday. June 2013, someone also posted to say that when they attempted on a Friday they were unable to get same-day (or next day; Monday being the earliest) so this is obviously not a new development.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, are same-day visas still available as long as it’s done on Mon-Thurs?

Cheers

45. Laurenton 23 Jul 2014 at 10:04 am

Last update about getting a next day visa to Vietnam at the embassy in Bangkok.
    Just got it
    it was a Tuesday 22/07/14 at 10.30 am, 2700 BHT for next day. 1 month single entry.
    Passport, application ( filled on the spot) and 1 photo is needed.
    Pick the next day only between 4pm and 5pm…

No problem on the Wednesday to pick it up at 4pm.

Cheers

46. Samon 29 Jul 2014 at 4:26 am

My single entry visas costs 2,500 baht for three working day processing (Hand in on July 23rd morning (Wed), Return on July 28th afternoon (Mon))