Sep 29 2011

Getting an Indian visa in Bangkok

Published by at 2:07 pm under Visas

Update July 12, 2013: The old Visa Services Centre in the Glas Haus building on Sukhumvit 25 is now closed, and the related website (www.ivac-th.com) is now obsolete. This post is up-to-date with the latest on the new India Visa Centre in Bangkok and related info. If we’ve missed something, please let us know in the comments.

Getting a visa to India in Bangkok takes a little longer and is a bit more complicated than for most other Asian countries, but it’s not rocket science if you know where to look. It is also 100% not necessary to have a third party take care of the process, particularly Khao San agencies. Follow these steps, and you’ll be on your way to the subcontinent in no time.

Incredibly fun times.

More incredibly fun times.

The most important aspect of the Indian visa process to be aware of is that visa applications are only available online; if you show up at the India Visa Centre and ask to fill out an application by hand, you’ll be out of luck. Applications must be filled out online (see below for instructions), then downloaded, printed and brought to the Visa Centre in person.

After a rather harrowing transition in mid 2013, the India Embassy in Bangkok has sorted out the visa application process and it now appears to be more streamlined than ever. The updated embassy site now provides reliable information and working links to the India Visa Thailand page run by IVS Global (pictured below), which is the main site you’ll need throughout the visa process.

While this post is focused on obtaining a tourist visa, the India Visa Thailand website also provides instructions for other types of visas. Note that it’s not necessary to visit the actual India Embassy on Sukhumvit 23 at any time during the visa application process.

Back in business ...

This page is the starting point for your journey.

To locate the necessary online application form on the India Visa Thailand website linked to above, click “Online Application” under “Application Form”, which will shoot you to this page. From there, click on the “Apply Online” icon at the bottom of the page, and you’ll then be whisked to the standardised Indian government visa page (pictured below) that all visa applicants from anywhere in the world must go through. However, there’s a problem with the “Online application link” on this page — it’s an “untrusted connection” according to our computers. Rather than taking the risk, click “Online Visa Application” from the left sidebar, then the “online application” link.

Getting warmer ...

Getting warmer …

Once you reach the “Online Indian Visa Form” page pictured below, fill out the application, submit, download, print and keep your temporary application ID number for reference. If you get stuck, the IVS India Visa Thailand site offers advice for dealing with “frequent errors” while filling out the four-page online application form.

Eureka!

Eureka!

With the finished, printed visa application in hand, head to the India Visa Centre (see directions below) along with your passport with at least six months validity, two 2X2 inch passport photos (any other size will be rejected), two photocopies of the photo/vital info page of your passport, two copies of your Thai visa page (if you have one), the visa fee (Thai baht only) and, unless you’re a Thai citizen, a separate reference form that can be downloaded via a link found at the bottom of the “Online Application” page of the India Visa Thailand website. The reference form must be printed and filled out by hand, and more than one person has reported that it will only be accepted if filled out in black ink.

According to the India Visa Thailand website, proof of travel into, and out of India, and proof of a hotel booking in India or invitation letter from India residents are also required. Some people have reported that actual air itineraries and hotel bookings are necessary while others claim they simply wrote in specific travel plans and accommodation arrangements in the online visa application form and were not asked to show further documentation. It remains to be seen how strict IVS will be on these — please share your experience in the comments below.

Applications must be dropped off at the India Visa Centre between 08:30 and 14:00 Monday through Friday, excluding Indian and Thai holidays, and pick-up is between 16:30 and 17:30. Processing time typically takes six working days for non-Thai citizens (three days if you are a Thai citizen), although it can apparently take up to eight working days without warning.

It’s possible to track your visa application online by inputting your passport number and last name in the “Visa Status” section of the India Visa Thailand website. If you can’t make it to Bangkok in person, it’s possible to send a representative on your behalf; they must provide a copy of their ID card and fill out the “authority letter” form linked to in the “online application” page of the India Visa Thailand website.

For most nationalities, a tourist visa gets you a six-month double entry stay. Although it still says otherwise on India’s official tourist visa FAQ form, an official in Bangkok told us that most nationalities are no longer required to stay outside of India for a minimum of two months after leaving the country, though the requirement apparently stands for Chinese and most Middle Eastern nationalities.

The new (as of July ’13) India Visa Centre is located on the 22nd floor of 253 Asoke on Asoke Road (aka Sukhumvit 21), across the road and a tad north from Rutnin Eye Hospital (see map).

If coming from Phetchaburi MRT subway station, take exit 2 out of the station, walk south for no more than 200 metres and 253 Asoke will be on the right, just after the canal bridge. If coming from Asok BTS skytrain station, take exit 3 out of the station, walk straight at the bottom of the stairs, take the immediate left onto Asoke Road and walk 1.2 kilometres until you reach 253 Asoke on the left. The building is marked by a large sign out front with the address and a smaller sign for the India Visa Centre. The Centre is easy to find, right next to the elevators on the 22nd floor.

IVS Global India Visa Centre
253 Asoke, 22nd Floor, Asoke Rd (aka Sukhumvit 21), Bangkok
T: (026) 641 200 / (026) 641 201
F: (026) 641 192
info@ivsglobal.in
Open Mon-Fri, 8:30 – 17:30; closed on Indian and Thai holidays

Tags: , ,

110 Responses to “Getting an Indian visa in Bangkok” ...

1. Ryma Khanon 29 Sep 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hello,

I have a situation. I am a Singaporean who is going to marry a Morrocan man. But he is currently working in Milan, Italy. He has a work permit. I would like to know more on how do I apply my visa or how is the process of getting a work permit to stay in Milan.

Please help me as I am desperate in doing the documents as soon as possible.

thank you.

2. Peteon 01 Feb 2012 at 9:03 pm

Hi! Do you need to present inward and outward flight ticket from India in order to get the visa? Thank you! Peter

3. Shaneon 05 Mar 2012 at 1:15 pm

I just went in last week. It took 6 days, not 5. You cannot pay extra to rush it either. 6 business days (so if you drop off on a Monday, you get it back the following Monday).

They also offer to take passport photos for you for 250 Baht (you get 6). That was 90 Baht more than I could find on the street, but more convenient.

4. Erinon 13 Mar 2012 at 9:10 am

The minimum processing time is 6 working days. I applied for (US) tourist visa yesterday. I want to fly to India on this weekend, so I’m hoping the Consulate told me 6 days to be on the safe side? The visa is automatically good for 6 months, with double entry.

5. Emma Rosenbergon 27 Mar 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hi Erin,

The above information actually needs to be amended, I had the same issue. It takes SIX working days, not five, no exceptions. So if you hand it in on Monday, you’ll have to get it back next Monday.
    Hope that helps,
    Emma

6. Emma Rosenbergon 27 Mar 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Shane,

This is true. Only issue with getting passport photos at Visa centres (or photocopying if you forgot your forms) is that the queues can be long for these services, making your trip to the embassy even longer than the normal wait period.

Emma

7. rbkon 10 Apr 2012 at 10:34 am

hi, me, my husband and our 3 years old son we need to apply for an indian visa tomorrow here in bangkok. the only problem is that my son will be at school, so anybody knows if he have to be present at the time of the application or just showing his passport would be fine? thanks

8. Annaon 18 Jun 2012 at 7:14 am

Hi, just to be clear, can you apply for another visa, even if you have just had one, provided that you have been out of India for 2 months prior to application? I’m in India at the moment, but want to visit SE Asia during the monsoon and then return in the winter months when the weather is better. By this time my current visa will have expired (15 September) but I will have been out of the country for 2 months.

I am a British national, does anybody know if you get 3 months Visa from Bangkok as the article says, or 6 as others have noted? I would really appreciate a confirmation as I may brave it out in the wet and the heat if this is not possible!

Many thanks in advance

9. Katieon 09 Oct 2012 at 5:26 am

Hi! I have a UK passport and want to apply for a 6 month vacation visa in Bangkok, is that possible? Also I won’t be heading to India until the 16 dec, I’m assuming that’s when the visa will start? Any info would be fab :-) many thanks

10. ratanaon 19 Oct 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have dialed this phone number (02 665 2968) several times but got only instruction from a machine to dial No. 0 (Zero) than the dial tone sounded for few times before the line was cut. I wonder if this number is still valid for your office???
    If not please let me know if there is other number to reach you.

Thank you.
    Ratana, DC

11. ratanaon 19 Oct 2012 at 3:02 pm

Where can I download “reference form”?
    I opened many website but could not find the “reference form” for foreigner residing in Thailand. There is only one website I found but when linked to open the document…always came up with error on that page…please help..

12. adminon 19 Oct 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hi Ratana,

The telephone number is still the current one according to their website and I’ve updated the “reference form” link to one that actually works.

The online application form though is not working — will have our researcher in Bangkok look into it.

Cheers

13. charusilaon 25 Oct 2012 at 2:24 pm

Did anyone have luck recently getting a 6 month visa from Bangkok on a British Passport? I will have been out of India for two months by the time I apply…

Katie, have you applied yet?

All information appreciated

Many thanks

14. Hardyon 05 Nov 2012 at 1:39 am

I am on holiday in koh Samui from Monday 5th Nov – Monday 12th and leave at 10.00am for my flight to Bangkok. I will be in Bangkok for 3 nights and leave to go back to london on Thursday 11pm. Basically I want to fly to India from Uk on Monday 19th Nov.

Can anyone please advise if I can get a Indian visa from Koh Samui or apply on KS and pickup in Bangkok when I reach there. I can submit a photocopy of my passport with all relevant docs and photos and then when I reach there can submit my passport.

Do Bangkok offer an emergency service for extra money where I can get the visa in 24hours???

15. rogeron 17 Nov 2012 at 5:48 pm

If applying for an Indian visa in Bangkok do you have to leave your passport with them at the embassy or just the photocopy ones?

Reason I ask Is that I will be flying into Bangkok, the next day applying for the India visa, then heading to one of the islands for a few weeks, so I will not be back in Bangkok until then plus I would prefer to fly to the islands rather than take the bus so I will need my passport, can anyone tell me if this is possible?
    Much obliged,

Roger

16. sajjadon 17 Nov 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi sir I am an indian guy living in Mumbai I want to invite my one of my friend from bangkok I want to no that can I invite my friend to India how he or she get the visa plz reply me on my mail bye thanking u.

17. Seanon 14 Dec 2012 at 11:05 pm

I’m an american national applying for an indian visa in Bangkok and was wondering what I need to put down under the “Referance Name in Thailand” section? Can I just leave that blank? Thanks!

18. lucian jaroszon 17 Jan 2013 at 4:34 am

Dear Sir
    I am a retired Canadian expat married to a Thai wife and have a scheduled life threatening cancer operation in Coimbatore India.
    I am informed that we require a visas.Can you please inform us how we can obtain them as quickly as possible as this is an urgent matter.. Our home is quite distant from Bankok.
    Do we have to be physically present in Bankok or could this be done on line.
    As it is a very serious operation requiring several weeks post operative therapy please inform us of the lenghth of stay allowed and how long would we have to wait for the visa to be issued as well as the cost for me and my wife.

19. Andy Son 17 Jan 2013 at 7:08 am

Waht about a business visa? Does it also take 6 days???

20. Neilon 19 Jan 2013 at 2:17 pm

The info here is wrong.
    You have to apply online then take the application form printed out (with the other docs) to the Vfs Global office. The application process does not start till u physically deliver this printout.

Start the application here

But where on earth is the VFS global centre for Indian Visas in Bangkok?

21. Neilon 19 Jan 2013 at 2:22 pm

Now I know!
    U must go the online route but it’s the same address, you still go to

INDIA VISA APPLICATION CENTRE,
    VFS (THAILAND) LTD,
    15TH FLOOR, UNIT 1503,
    GLAS HOUSE BUILDING,
    SUKHUMVIT 25, SUKHUMVIT ROAD,
    BANGKOK-10110.

As the original blog says.

I got the info from

22. Neilon 19 Jan 2013 at 2:24 pm

Please update the blog with this new info because not everyone reads the comments and if someone turns up with that obsolete visa form that you link to then they will be in trouble!

23. Stuarton 21 Jan 2013 at 11:09 am

Just a quick note to say the above post has just been fully updated as of Jan 21, 2013 by one of our writers who visited in person to suss it out.

PLEASE READ THE UPDATED POST before posting and thanks to all the comments for pointing out the “issues” with sorting a visa out.

Cheers & enjoy India!

Stuart @ Travelfish.org

24. Neilon 27 Jan 2013 at 9:34 am

I never knew about the separate Reference form for non-Thai nationals applying for Indian visas in Thailand, thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for all the other info too.

The direct link to download that REFERENCE form is

Please feel free to delete this and any of my comment posts if you incorporate the info.

25. Neilon 28 Jan 2013 at 6:38 am

Just a few things to add to the BLOG info

I went to get an Indian tourist visa from the Bangkok office today 28th January 2013

1.I paid 4590 BHT for a 6 month tourist visa, just for UK citizens. I think USA may pay the same. It works out at 96 GBP or 153 USD
    2. Now you need proof of inbound and outbound flight. I was saved proving an outbound flight because I declared that I was leaving the country overland, via Sonauli to Nepal. They were firm about this new requirement.
    3.They want proof that you have somewhere to stay in India, a booking at an Indian hotel. Or they accept a declaration from you stating the name and address of the hotel where you will be staying. I did that at the office.
    4 Just in case you declare on the online application form that you are an artist, photographer or such like (“media professional”). They may require you to write a short note saying that you do not intend to engage in any professional work in India and that you are going just for tourism. But you can do that at the application center.

26. David Luekenson 28 Jan 2013 at 9:09 am

UK citizens have to pay a full 1,000 baht more than Americans, and Americans pay around 1,000 baht more than most other nationalities. UK and US pay more than any other nationalities. ASEAN nationalities pay significantly less — I believe 1,300 baht or so. The fees listed on the page linked to in the article seem to be correct as a base, but there are “extra” fees involved that aren’t posted, at least not clearly (generally not more than 500 baht though).

27. Neilon 12 Feb 2013 at 1:08 pm

Please add the “compulsory inbound and outbound flight requirement” to the blog posting or people turning up without flight tickets are going be frustrated.
    Maybe you are waiting for confirmation by another poster?
    Please confirm this someone.

28. Eon 16 Feb 2013 at 4:46 am

This post has been updated the 21st of jan. Too bad they implemented a whole new set of fucked up rules on the 2nd of jan… I arrived there and i had averything that was mentioned in the post above and i had the following problems:
    1. Normal pasport pics are not sufficient. You need the square 2 by 2 inch ones. You can get them ther for a rip off price of 250 baht.
    2. Make sure you fill the reference form in with black ink. If it is blue, they will send you next door to get a copy so its black. Ridiculous…
    3. You need to have a return flight and a booking reference. Because i do t know how long i will stay in india or where i will go next, i only had a single flight. Next to the visa office there is an office where they can book you a fake return flight for 500 baht. They give you the confirmed flight details and cancel the flight after a couple of days… So if you can, just book a return flight to save you a lot of hassel…
    I ended up doing the first line 3 times… Spent 5 hours there and spent 1000 baht for nothing… Be prepared and you ll be fine. Good luck!!

29. iggion 21 Feb 2013 at 5:13 pm

hello, i have been wanting to apply for visa to india in bangkok , but i have a problem that my passport is only valid for 5 and a half months until i need to renew it for that reason . I can’t apply online because the site wont let me , is there a possibelety for a speical request or someone i can speak to in bangkok about that ?? waiting for a speedy reply because going to bangkok in 2 days.

regerds Iggi

30. adminon 24 Feb 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hi Iggi,

You’re going to need to contact the embassy directly with that.

Sorry can’t be of more help.

31. Stephanie Changon 11 Apr 2013 at 2:07 pm

I’ve just seen this notice on the VFS Thailand website:

From 7 July 2013, VFS India Passport & Visa Application Centre will not be operational. The above arrangement is in order to provide effective passport delivery service to all applicants until our last day of operations which is 06 July 2013.

Does this mean that all applications now have to be done through travel agents? I only arrive in Bangkok in July… so this is now creating a big problem for me. Any help appreciated.

32. jimboon 02 May 2013 at 3:48 pm

I applied for a India Visa on the 30th of April. Here some new facts about the application-process:

1. As Neil already wrote, it‘s absolutely required that you have a hotel-reservation for your first days in India, otherwise you have to write a substantiation why you don‘t have an accommodation for your stay.

2. You have to fill the non-thai form with black ink. Otherwise you can do it again…

3. This is what a guy (he works and lives in BKK) told me, I can not 100% confirm this information:
    From the 1st of May you can‘t pick up your passport with accepted visa at the India Passport & Visa Services Centre – you need a address (e.g. hotel) where they send it

33. benteon 20 May 2013 at 6:51 am

Hey,

i am also planning to go to thailand around 8 of July 2013 and apply for a indian visa, but i am wondering where to apply now since “From 7 July 2013, VFS India Passport & Visa Application Centre will not be operational”.

so where to submit my application now, and to whom?

Thank you for your help.

Blessings, Bente (holding a norwegian passport)

34. Gavinon 03 Jun 2013 at 10:18 am

2 questions:

1) Do they keep your passport during the application process or do you just take it back when it’s finished?

2) Does the Visa fee have to be paid in cash or do they accept card?

Thanks.

35. Neilon 11 Jul 2013 at 5:37 am

i applied successfully for a 6 month visa for India from bangkok in January 2013.

I would like to get a second visa the same, now in August 2013.

Is there any news on what visas are being given out now that the operation moved from VFS?
    Or did the operation actually move as planned, maybe you still go to VFS?

Please update the blog.
    Thank you.

36. Bergeon 11 Jul 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi Bente! Did you get to Bangkok and start the process yet? And if yes, how is it working out?

I am wondering since I am also a Norwegian passport holder, and I’m traveling in SE Asia and going to be in Bangkok some time in September to apply for a visa to India.

Did you have to supplement travel documents validating specific dates for arrival and departure to and from India?

Anyone else who knows anything about this should also feel free to comment, I would be most grateful!

Berge

37. David Luekenson 12 Jul 2013 at 9:23 am

The post has been updated. VFS is no longer handling the process — it’s now handled by IVS at 253 Asoke. See the updated post and do let us know if we’ve missed anything.
    – David (Travelfish Bangkok)

38. Lilaon 19 Jul 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hello,

I’m Brazilian with a Brazilian passport. I’m came to India in January with a 6 months tourist visa, and I just went to Nepal and the Indian Embassy from Kathmandu gave me another tourist visa for only 3 more months.
    I have two questions:

1- Do you know if the Embassy in Thailand usually gives tourist visas for 3, 6, or what? Is I ask for 6 they usually give, or they do like Nepal, no more then 3 months?

2- Is it common people apply for student visa in Thailand? And do they usually accept it with a positive answer?

Thanks for your attention,
    Best Wishes,
    Lila m dd.

39. David Luekenson 19 Jul 2013 at 2:37 pm

Hi Lila,

Recent experiences have shown that the India Visa Center in Bangkok normally give 6 months for tourist visas. However, we’re not sure if they have a policy of only giving 3 months (or denying) people who have recently expired tourist visas to India. Some countries don’t look favorably on people who are using continual tourist visas to stay long-term.

As for the student visa, we don’t have experience with that.

40. Nordon 24 Jul 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for the helpful blog post. A few things to add after applying a couple days ago:

– IVS are open on Thai public holidays. They are only closed on Indian holidays.
    – Full inbound + outbound flights from Bangkok are required. I was told my Europe-India flight wasn’t enough, they also wanted to know how I was getting to Europe from Bangkok.
    – They are VERY picky with photos. I was told my off-white background wasn’t white enough.

41. Zoeon 26 Jul 2013 at 2:29 am

can someone please tell me if they know if you can keep your passport while you wait or not? thank you
    -Zoe

42. yanaon 26 Jul 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi, I had my horrifying experiences today. I trusted the requirements of the website of the Indian embassy, which explicitly recommends NOT to book a flight before having the visa. So I went only with my open return flight DEL-BKK-DEL an the E-Mail-response of my my Guesthouse which unfortunately was sent from the manager from his mobile phone so in the answering box there is no address etc. The very arrogant lady at the agency didn’t want to accept that, though I told that I won’t have another chance to apply in time, cause my Thai Visa expires. She persisted that it always ONLY takes 6 working days and that I HAVE to book my flight. I kindly asked her if she would be willing to pay a new ticket if they won’t return my passport in time. Anyhow, it’s just a third party and who is really in charge is the Indian embassy so they should clarify their rules instead of giving ambivalent messages.
    Apart from this Indigo Airlines actually won’t confirm a new date without seeing my Visa first, but they are also not willing to refund my ticket. So I think I won’t have a chance at all to return to India. Altogether I think apart from its rich culture we have to face enough challenges in India already (especially as women) that they should be happy and grateful that tourists still want to invest their money in a visit instead of making it such a hassle and a kind of ‘mercy’ to entry the country.

43. David Luekenson 26 Jul 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yes, they keep it.

44. inglesitaon 05 Aug 2013 at 8:21 am

Hi all.
    I applied for my Indian tourist visa in the new IVS offices in Bangkok today, and thought I would give a little rundown of my experience to help any others who may be applying in Bangkok.
    The offices are big and organised and the staff very helpful, but they seem to be pretty strict on the rules. They were asking everyone for proof of in-going and outgoing flights (If like me you’re not sure of when you’re leaving, you could maybe buy an outgoing flight and just cancel later and pay the cancel charge….or you could try showing proof of over-landing into Nepal). They also want an email or proof of your first few days hotel stay, or a letter of reference if you are staying with friends or family.
    I was told that they are currently giving out ONLY 6 month visas, double entry. No 3 month visas, no single or multiple entries. So a word of advice – when you fill out the application form online, make sure you choose 6 month, DOUBLE entry, not single. I had chosen single entry (as there was nothing to indicate that I should select otherwise), and was told this wasn’t acceptable and I would have to complete the online form again. Alternatively one of their members of staff can do it for you on the spot, but you will be charged nearly 200 baht for the privelege. They also have this random “courier” charge in the event that you don’t come to collect your visa, they will send it to you by post to your address in Bangkok. Even if you say you don’t want the courier service and that you will definitely come to pick up your visa in person, they will say you must pay this service regardless – this is another 200 baht or so. They are very picky about the photos – they must be white background and 2×2 inches, which a place downstairs will do for you (that’s another 250 baht!). If you can find a place to do the 2×2 inch photos beforehand for less, I would definitely recommend it.
    Fellow Brits, it now costs us a whopping 4,500 baht for a visa these days, so be prepared For everyone else I think the price is something nearer 1,800. They say it takes 6 to 8 working days to get the visa, but from what I can gather 6 days is the standard for pretty much everyone. Definitely check out the Indian embassy’s public holiday dates to make sure you have enough time – I had to book a flight 4 days later than planned because they have 3 public holidays in the space of ten days!
    I encountered no real problems (apart from the single/double entry misunderstanding, and having to pay lots of extra charges for things), and the staff there were friendly and efficient.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of applying in Bangkok!
    Cheers

45. CKon 29 Aug 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hi, this post is extremely helpful, thank you so much. Does anyone know if the visa can be submitted on someone else’s behalf? Would I be able to submit both my and my friend’s passport and application materials without her being there? Or must us both be there to submit the materials, and someone else can pick it up on our behalf a week later? Thank you!

46. Rene Martinon 02 Sep 2013 at 11:17 am

@CK

It is possible to authorize someone else to deliver the application documents the Visa Center. You must write an Authorization Letter with the name and ID card/passport number of that person. That person has to bring his ID card and a photocopy of it.

47. Mathildeon 06 Sep 2013 at 11:20 am

Hi!
    Thank you for the previous informations…
    I still can’t find the “reference form” online and the link below is not working…Anybody can help?
    Thanks!

48. David Luekenson 06 Sep 2013 at 4:11 pm

As it says in the post, the reference form is downloaded via a ‘click here’ link at the bottom of the ‘online application’ page on the indiavisathai.com site. I checked the link and it worked for me. Here’s the page where you can find the link: http://www.indiavisathai.com/?page_id=67

49. Annaon 06 Sep 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hi! I just collected 6 months, double entry visa, and I have to say all process is very easy. Staff in the office is helpful and kind. I was worried a little bit, cause I had only one way flight, but actually that what they are asking for. I didn’t have the hotel reservation, (but I had hotel’s address), so they asked me to write a letter (they give u a form), to explain why I don’t have the reservation.
    So what they are checking:
    -inbound flight
    -photos (they needed only one photo 2x2inch)
    -hotel reservation
    -2 copies of passport (photo page)
    -1 copy of page with entry stamp to Thailand
    -application form
    -reference form.
    There is a photocopy service there – 5 THB per page.
    Don’t worry if you don’t have reference form – you get it there to fill in.
    I applied for a visa on Wednesday, and picked it up on Thursday next week, so it’s 6 working days.

50. Mathildeon 07 Sep 2013 at 6:22 am

Thank you!

51. kali123456on 09 Sep 2013 at 2:28 pm

SEPTEMBER 2013 We’ve just collected our 6 month tourist visa from the IVS office in Bangkok.

To apply we needed:
    • The downloaded and printed application form
    • Character reference form for non-Thai applicants
    • 2 x copies of passport photos page
    • 1 x copy Thai entry stamp page in passport
    • Air tickets showing flights into and out of India *
    • Confirmation of first night’s accommodation in India *
    • A formal request for 6 months visa
    • 1 x 2 inch by 2 inch passport photo

The detailed itinerary we had typed up was returned, unneeded.

*To supply the first night’s accommodation, we simply e-mailed a few hostels in the Lonely Planet, and kept the reply from the one that confirmed our accommodation for the first night, making sure we cancelled it later.

*As we don’t know the date we want to leave India, or the destination we want to go to, we just printed out the page of a Flydubai booking, before we actually made the booking, and they were fine with that

The process took about half an hour to apply (once we had all the right documents), and in 6 days (inclusive of the drop off and pick up day), we collected the visa (one and a half hour wait).

Brits pay 4485 baht, and Aussies 2185 Baht.

As others have said, the people working in the office are extremely helpful and friendly.

52. Maríaon 12 Oct 2013 at 8:46 am

Do you have to leave the passport along with the visa application and Photos? Or just leave the passport copy?

Thanks!

53. David Luekenson 12 Oct 2013 at 2:10 pm

You have to leave the passport.

54. cijuon 14 Oct 2013 at 2:49 am

hey everyone,

thx for the very helpfull informations we can find over here ;)

i would like your advises & feedback on the problematic proof of flight return

we don’t have them and don’t want to get them before getting our visas (that’s commun sence!) and feeling the all things in india in 4 or 5 month ….

I was on the way to give our “last year” india flight back travel’s booking reference (on witch i will operate some dates modifications)

Now my question is do they really control , do they really take the time for each visa request to search with the air companies if the reference booking is really operate ?

What are the risk of doing such a way ?

I read on the past comments that some just said on the form that they did not got flight back yet as they are not sure about the exact shedules of their holidays in india … some other payed for a fake return flight booking …. humm so i feel it is not the prior thing they really care about ….

We are a 4 ppl family so i don’t feel good also to pay for each of us some 500.thb extra fees just to get a fake proof of flight back i could do myself with photoshop :) and last this is not a requested document when we apply for indian visa in Europe (France )

Have you got some advices ?

ciju

55. David Luekenson 14 Oct 2013 at 3:51 am

Hi Ciju,

We at Travelfish have not recently applied for an Indian visa in Bangkok, so we know only that proof of flights is listed as a requirement. All we can say is to read the prior comments from people who have recently gone through the process, and make the decision that seems right to you.

56. Purple thistleon 23 Oct 2013 at 11:34 am

What I did which worked was booked a flight through sky scanner and printed the invoice page before payment details were entered. This was fine and they never questioned me. So I did book my flight until my visa was approved. There really is no consistenty at the office everyone was being told different information. I provided an address of a friend who I was staying with when I arrived in Delhi and another person was asked to show proof of accomodation in India on arrival. One guy was asked to show the first months accom. There are computers in the office – if they ask for further info you can fix it up there. The rules change each week. It’s best to follow the guide and just see how you go.

57. CHRISon 24 Oct 2013 at 2:08 am

Has anybody had experience in applying for a business visa. I have a NZ passport and wonder if it is possible to apply for business visa outside your country of residence.

58. Crenwuon 30 Oct 2013 at 10:12 pm

Does anyone know that if I submitted the online form for three different times with different job titles and company names, will that cause any trouble? I just panic when I heard about they’re picky over the applicant’s job.

But now I got three different file numbers registered under my name and passport number now. :(

59. Crenwuon 30 Oct 2013 at 11:20 pm

BTW, if I leave my passport at the IVS center, is it OK that I pick it up after two weeks? I am planning to visit northern Thailand after submitting my application. I gather they won’t really “mail” the passport to the Bangkok hotel address we leave on the application form, right?

60. David Luekenson 31 Oct 2013 at 2:03 am

That should be fine.

61. David Luekenson 31 Oct 2013 at 2:04 am

That’s a question you’d have to ask the embassy directly.

62. Alyssaon 31 Oct 2013 at 4:00 am

I just went through the process last week. You now have to have proof of your hotel bookings for every night you are in India. They will not allow you to apply for the visa without this information, they turned many people away in the short time I was there. This also means that your flights in and out of the country are absolutely necessary.

63. Crenwuon 31 Oct 2013 at 9:14 am

Hi David, I assume your comment of “that should be fine” is regarding my question on submitting online forms several times with different job inofrmation? Thx. Just want to be sure. I just got really panic by my stupid multiple submissions. :(

Alyssa: you said “hotel bookings for every night”. You meant literally “EVERY” night? Geez how does that possible for booking! My in and out flights have 72 days in between!

64. Alyssaon 01 Nov 2013 at 1:30 am

Yes, every single night. It’s insane! I ended up using a family friend as an invite after I got denied the first time for not having all the bookings. Another traveler said that he made reservations at a hotel for the entire time he would be in India, he then canceled them and got his money back after he secured his visa.

65. Crenwuon 01 Nov 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi Alyssa, so did they make you to book the hotels based on the trip plan you put down with the application form? Geez I put a lot of cities in that field! :(

66. Daveon 02 Nov 2013 at 3:18 pm

Does anyone know how the letter from your family in India you stay with should look like?

67. Yitzhakon 02 Nov 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hey Alyssa,

I applied for a visa on October 29, but I only had to show proof of my first night’s accommodation. Are you sure this rule is for everyone?

Is my application doomed, or am I good since they accepted it already and said 6-8 days?

Cheers,
    Yitzhak

68. Yitzhakon 02 Nov 2013 at 5:17 pm

Also, does anyone’s online visa status inquiry actually work? My web file number isn’t showing up on their system…

69. Rosaon 12 Nov 2013 at 6:41 am

Hi guys, thanks for all this useful info!!! I have another issue: the online application asks for my previous Indian visa “date of issue”. I was there in 2007 and renewed my passport since then, so there is no way I can find out this date. What shall I do?? It doesn’t allow me to continue the application unless I put down day, month and year of issue….

70. David Luekenson 12 Nov 2013 at 2:00 pm

Hi Rosa, I would probably just estimate it as best I could.

71. simoneon 12 Nov 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hello,
    I’m from Italy and here’s my experience with IVS.
    I applied for visa (6-month double-entry) on Oct 8th and there was a pretty long queue at their office even half an hour before the opening time.
    I brought my passport, 2 photos (one of them was later returned when I collected the passport with the new visa), online visa application form, reference form, copies of payed incoming and outgoing flights, 2 copies of main passport page (one was later stamped and given to me as a receipt/proof of ID while not having my passport available) plus a copy of the 30-day on-arrival thai visa/stamp.
    I gave them also a proof of accommodation letter (for a two-month period), just a printed email sent to me by my landlord, who was also my contact in India (and in fact they did call him to check!)
    Total cost: nearly 2400 baht.
    I had my flight scheduled on Oct 17th, so I was really hoping in no delays.
    After six working days I did not get the confirmation email I was supposed to receive, so I got a bit nervous. Tried to track the application online to no avail, tried to call many times but the number was either busy or ringing but nobody answered, went there on the 17th only 3 hours before my flight and… my passport was there with the visa :-) so I could continue on to the airport and catch my flight.
    The confirmation email did arrive but only the day after my scheduled departure, so no great use for that.
    Maybe having 10 working days ahead of my flight would not have been a bad idea after all…
    Cheers
    Simone

72. Crenwuon 13 Nov 2013 at 10:44 am

I went to apply my tourist visa yesterday. Some points to add here:

1. I only booked my first night in India and provided a detailed itinerary, as many said that should work, but it DIDN’T. I was asked to book my first month of hotels based on the plan I gave them. I was told by the lady that this is a requirement. But since there are ppl saying they got theirs accepted w/ only the first night booking, so I guess this really depends on your luck and/or the counter you go to?

2. They asked for THREE copies of my passport page, not two. One of them was used to staple my receipt and etc., and they took the other two away. Again, not sure if mine was an individual case because many ppl said they only provided two copies and also worked.

3. You can do your hotel booking/printing at the nearby university library. I guess just grab a student looking ppl (and there are a lot in school uniforms around that area) and ask “university library”. It’s actually very close, about 10 mins walking. After I was told I needed to provide my first month’s booking, they sent me to that small copy/form filling office right down the 253 Asoke building, which is way over price and basically robbers. They charge for 250B just for booking a hotel for a month (and they will only do ONE hotel). So they told me they couldn’t do mine because I listed several cities during my first month’s stay. Then I asked several ppl and no one knows if there is an Internet cafe nearby. But fortunately I asked this young girl and she was so very kind and took me to the computer lab in the library and logged in for me. I then was able to do my booking. They charge only 2b/page for printing and 0.5b/page for copying. That girl was my savior! :)

4. You CAN leave your passport at the IVS for late pickup, if you have other travel plan like I do. I asked two officers there about this and got positive answer from both. :)

So now I have an email from IVS saying “Your visa application has been dispatched to the Embassy of India for processing.” Should I then just wait patiently for my visa collection email?

73. Crenwuon 20 Nov 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi there, does anyone know whether the IVS at Bangkok call or email when the Indian visa is ready? It’s been 7 working days and I still haven’t heard from them. I did remember I pay 60 baht for notification tho, but apparently it didn’t show on my receipt. So I am kind of confused.

74. Bethon 22 Nov 2013 at 4:27 am

We went today and it was very easy as long as you have everything they ask for. The woman that helped us could not have been easier to work with. If you are traveling with young children, the website says a thumb print it required. We did not have this, but the parent that signed the child’s passport has to be the parent to sign the application. Also, children must also have a copy of parents passports in addition to the two copies of their passport.

75. marioon 23 Nov 2013 at 5:49 pm

guys!! please someone has to help me! im going to thaiand in two weeks then ill go to india, i bought the tickets to get in india,and want to apply for the visa in bangkok, but as long as i dont know if ill stay in india for 2 3 or 4 month do i have to prove them that i have a ticket to flight out of the country? is such a mess,i do not know when ill be done in india,and can not buy a ticket then onother!

76. Neilon 09 Dec 2013 at 1:03 pm

I don’t know if it’s too late to advise Mario – but the standard thinking about getting around this onward ticket stipulation is to book an onward ticket with a mainstream airline then cancel it later on (check that the airline allows cancellations and what their refund policy is). Or to make a written declaration that you are going by bus overland to Pakistan or Nepal (countries having open land borders with India). You could even book an inexpensive bus ticket online. It may be a good idea to check the real times of the buses and the companies.
    Finally, buy an airline ticket that is non refundable (e.g. Chennai to Colombo, Sri Lanka) that you can afford not to use.

77. Neilon 09 Dec 2013 at 1:09 pm

For myself, I would like to know if anyone is being refused a 6 month Indian visa in Bangkok, being given just a 3 month one instead? If they say everyone is going to get 6 months then only give you a 3 month one in the end, it will be too late to back out and save your money. I know of one person who only got a 3 month from Bangkok in 2013, are there any other people?

78. paulon 17 Dec 2013 at 9:34 pm

Some very good information here but the location description – “next to Grand Millenium Sukhumvit Hotel” should be deleted – it is nowhere near this Hotel: look at the map and follow the other directions carefully.
    If you use the hotel as the directional target as I mistakenly did you will have a long walk to 253 Asoke.

79. David Luekenson 18 Dec 2013 at 3:25 am

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the misplacement of Grand Millenium Sukhumvit – not sure how that happened but it will be removed from the post immediately.

80. James Tigheon 20 Dec 2013 at 11:02 am

Hi, looking at applying for an indian visa in bangkok in january, what do i need to write as ‘Referance name in thailand’? Do we fill in the character referance ourselves?

81. Scotton 20 Dec 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I just completed the process for getting my Indian visa here in Bangkok. I’ll share my experience with you all.

What I needed:

1) Flight bookings both into and out of India. I just took screen shots of the bookings and printed them out. They were ok with that. But you do need a hard copy. Just showing them your info on a laptop won’t work.

2) Hotel bookings. I had 2: one was just for a day, and the other was for 22 days. I think they were ok with both, but I used the longer one just to be on the safe side. I used Expedia.com to book it and I’ll just cancel it within a few days for a full refund.

3) The reference form. You don’t need to print it out and they’ll give you a copy for free. Like everyone has said, you need to use black ink.

4) Passport photos. You can print them out at IVS for about 400 baht. They give you a total of 6 and the process only takes a few minutes tops.

5) 3 copies of your passport and 2 copies of your stamp into Thailand. The extra passport photocopy and stamp are yours to keep.

6) The main visa form that you fill out online. As others have said, they ONLY do double entry but if you used another kind they informed that whoever processes the visas will change it to double, so you don’t need to re-type the entire thing.

If you don’t have all of your printed documents like the flight or hotel bookings, they have 2 computers with internet access that you can use and a printer to print everything out. You can either email the documents to yourself or use a flash drive.

Oh, and none of them asked for a travel itinerary, so as of 12/20/2013, there’s no need for one.

The whole process was pretty fast and painless. I showed up around 11:40 and was done by about 1:30. Most of the time was spent waiting, but there were a lot of people there getting their visas processed. It would probably be wise to show up right when they open. All the staff were very polite and helpful and there was no mix up of communication. Very positive experience all around. The total came out to about 3,200 baht (I’m American) for the actual visa fees and 400 baht for the passport photos and photocopies for a total of about 3,600 baht.

82. Jameson 21 Dec 2013 at 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I just got my 6 month double entry tourist visa from the Indian embassy in Bangkok and thought I would clear up a few things. Firstly there is absolutely no need to have your entire stay, or even the first month or whatever, booked into accommodation. I booked a few days in a hotel in Kolkata and submitted the reservation confirmation. No questions asked. Secondly, I didn’t have an onward plane ticket. This was queried by the lady behind the desk but i simply explained that we would be leaving overland into Nepal and that now is too early to buy train and bus tickets. I had written a letter explaining my route and this was taken instead of an onward plane ticket. (As an aside, I can confirm that there is a shop outside of the visa centre that will book you a ‘fake’ plane ticket or hotel reservation for 250 baht per person per booking, though I didn’t have to use it). Thirdly I was issued a 6 month visa with no hassle at all – you just need to be clear in your application form and a covering letter why it is that you need such a long visa.

Finally, the process took 7 working days including the day on which I submitted the form (I dropped off on the Thursday and picked up the following Friday). This was within the timeframe that they promised me (6-8 days).

All in all, this wasn’t as terrible experience as I had imagined it would be. The key seems to be to read everything very carefully and make sure you cover all bases/potential problems in your application.

Happy to answer any questions that people might have.

James

83. Jessicaon 25 Dec 2013 at 12:35 am

Thanks to all who shared their experience of applying for the visa in-person at IVS.

One of my concerns is leaving the passport with IVS for 6 days. Won’t this limit where you can travel while you wait? If I recall correctly from my trip to Thailand in 2004, a passport is often required for checking into a hotel room and could also be required for other things (aside from the obvious: border crossings and flying).

It would be preferable to be able to continue traveling around Thailand while I wait, but the thought of doing so without my passport makes me very uneasy.

Thoughts?

84. Mirkoon 06 Jan 2014 at 12:39 pm

Dear Jessica, you can easly travel around with a passport copy and credit card in Thailand to book anywhere into hotels, while your real passport is in the process of obtaining a visa.

I had just a horrible and dissapointing experience with this VIS company which does the visa process on behalf of the indian embassy in Bangkok. They tried to overcharge me and my friend 10 Dollar each which I find out in the last moment before leaving and claimed my money back for a courier and SMS/email information service of 290 Baht each, which we never have been asked for or even mentioned such a thing. It seemed liked a scam scheme from top-down, because I was questioning the total high amount of our visas (4950 Bhat for two persons) while the websites says a quite different number. I’m personal dissapointed ending up paying 50 Dollar more (for two) than expected and calculated upfront with the offical numbers from the websites. Also they didn’t accept our passport copies while those weren’t in a A4 format. Also they asked for ingoing flights to India which were totally stupid, if you know what I mean. Normally they request to show or explain how to leave. What do they care how you come? That was strange and new.

85. Davidon 09 Jan 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it would be possible to leave picking up my visa from the embassy for a few weeks? Reason behind this is I currently teach in Surat Thani so it’s not possible for me to take more than a few days off work to apply for my visa. So ideally I would apply for my visa around the start of February, and then collect my visa around my flight time (start of March).

Any help would be great!

David

86. Carolon 09 Jan 2014 at 3:13 pm

Can my husband take my visa application to Bangkok along with his? Or do we both have to be there in person? If he can do it, that’s great, but… I couldn’t find the link to the authorization paper he would need to take along…

87. Haraldon 16 Jan 2014 at 9:59 am

Just asking: how strict is the Indian Embassy with the 6 month validity of your passport? Mine will expire end of June 2014, but I’d like to travel to India in February, so still 4 months left. Applying for a new passport plus an Indian visa would take at least 2-3 weeks in total.

88. David Luekenson 16 Jan 2014 at 2:55 pm

Harald, my guess is that you would be denied.

89. Ilanon 05 Mar 2014 at 4:31 am

My daughter is going to apply for a visa, and wishes to fly to the Thai islands while waiting for the application to be processed. Is it possible, given her passport is not with her?

Thanks, Ilan

90. David Gon 05 Mar 2014 at 6:21 am

Just thought I’d share my experience since I appreciated others sharing theirs:

Went to the IVS office today around lunch time, the whole process took me about an hour. The office is just 100 meters south of the MRT (take the exit towards Asoke Pier). From there, walk south towards Asoke and the building will be on your right just after you go over the bridge.

Overall the process was smooth but slightly bureaucratic. I got there at 11:45 and submitted my papers — they rejected my photos because the size wasn’t right, so make sure you get 2×2 exactly — and I had to wait in a queue to get a ticket so I could take a photo (200 baht), then move to the back of the office and wait in line to take the photo itself, before going back to the line to present my documents again. This is the same process if you’re missing photocopies. In all, if I had the correct-sized photo from the beginning, it would have saved me 15 minutes. But whatever.

Once you present your documents and get them all approved — I had everything listed on the India visa website: online application, reference letter (for non-Thais), 2 copies each of passport, Thai visa and Thai entry stamp, a letter stating that I would be staying with a friend (in lieu of a hotel reservation), and a copy of my inbound and outbound flight reservations — you get a number and you wait your turn. There are three desks that attend to individuals submitting visas. I waited 30 minutes (bring a book as they tell you to turn off your phone) before getting called up. There were no issues and I ended up paying 3475 baht (the actual receipt says it was 3175 baht, not sure why the discrepancy there). I’m an American citizen so I pay about 1000 more than the usual, and I know UK citizens pay more than that.

The give you a preference of notification by SMS or email and said it would take 6-8 working days. That was it – I got in at 11:45 and left at 12:45.

Good luck to all with your visa applications and in India!

91. David Luekenson 06 Mar 2014 at 2:35 am

Ilan,
    I’ve never tried it, but my guess would be no. You could try contacting the airline(s) and asking if there’s any way around showing the actual passport. Otherwise she could go by bus or train with no need to show passport (but she’d definitely want a photocopy of the passport with her).

92. simoneon 14 Mar 2014 at 9:56 am

Hello,
    did anyone try to apply for a one-year tourist visa recently?
    I saw at the IVS website that they have removed the note about the mandatory six-month double-entry visa for tourists, so I was just wondering, since the one-year option is still there.
    Thank you to anyone who can post updated info on this or general experience with visa application.
    Cheers
    Simone

93. simoneon 08 Apr 2014 at 12:57 pm

All right, I’ll just answer my own question…
    I went to the IVS office today to apply for a new visa and they told me they still issue tourist visas only up to 6 months, in spite of what’s written on the website.
    I noticed they gave me a receipt with a paid amount of 2185 Baht (1700+400+70+15), but before handing it over they showed me a total of 2475 on a calculator, which I paid -_-
    If you want them to send you an email when your visa is ready they will “kindly” charge you 290 for their trouble without ever mentioning the extra charge, so if you don’t actually want that service (last time it didn’t even work for me as they sent me an email a few days after the passport was ready and I was already in India) do “kindly” specify you don’t want it.
    Someone had already written this in the previous messages, but a reminder could be of use, in some cases… -_-

94. johnon 18 May 2014 at 5:08 pm

Im currently living in Cambodia and Ive lived in Asia for many years. I always wanted to go to India but it seems very complicated. Maybe Im spoiled because here in Cambodia you just give your passport + cash to a travel agency and 3 days later it’s done. Ive never heard of anyone in Cambodia needing to fill in any papers. My question is simple:
    Can I, as a EU citizen have a travel agency/agent call it what you want, in Bangkok, do the visa process for me, for me to travel to India? In plain text, do I need to fill in the online papers and show up myself or can I just pay an agency to do all this for me? That it cost more makes no difference to me. I am only interested in 6 months visa.
    Thankful for help from someone who KNOWS the real CURRENT situation. NO need for any copy and paste answers from google. Thanks: John

95. Clarandaon 24 May 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice, folks! We got our visas in March without any trouble. We took great care to get all the required documentation together as we were only in Bangkok for one day, specifically to do this.

We arrived at the office at 9.00am and joined a small queue. The system is very efficient and well run and we were out again by 9.30! We had some concern about the double entry as we were due to have three stops in India on a cruise ship. The very helpful assistant told us that this would only count as a single entry, so we were fine. We were off to Samui, again a bit concerned that our passports/visas would turn up before we headed off elsewhere. We had applied on Monday and the passports turned up in Samui the following Wednesday. We had no problem flying domestically using our driving licences(with photo).

96. alexon 11 Jun 2014 at 1:52 am

I can see that one question still remains for many of us: what about the character reference form…what is it all about…
    Cheers

97. Nitkulsirion 26 Jul 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for your information. I have successfully received my Indian visa. I live in Rayong, I parked my car at Mega Bangna where free shuttle buses to BTS Udomsuk are provided every 20-30 minutes. I took BTS to Asoke station and took the Exit 3 as you suggested but I did not walk. I took a bike ride which is 20฿ standard to the 253 building. It took less than an hour for the visa application whole process if your documents are correctly ready. I paid 2,080฿. I’ve been there on Monday morning, I’ve received my visa right at my door on Thursday morning of the same week

98. TravelFamon 05 Aug 2014 at 5:36 am

We just returned from Bangkok on a visa run. Everything on this site was very helpful and accurate except that the IVS in Bangkok is now ONLY offering 3 month single entry tourist visas. This was a huge disappointment for us as we were hoping for 6 month multiple as we live in India (My husband is on a business visa). It’s a big inconvenience.

We took the train from the airport and walked to our hotel which was only a 2 minute walk to the IVS centre (Asoke Residence – a nice spot). We dropped our applications off, took a 2 week vacation in Hua Hin and picked them up the day before flying back to India. We were informed via email when they went to the consulate and when they returned. It took 2 weeks.

99. Lizon 20 Aug 2014 at 7:38 am

I’m looking to get a six month visa when I apply in Bangkok next week and am wondering if anyone else had the same experience as the last post that they are only offering 3 month visas now from here?
    Also wondering about how detailed the itinerary has to be or do you just list places you are visiting and if booking the first months accommodation(?and canceling later) is enough.

100. Lizon 20 Aug 2014 at 7:47 am

Also anyone have very recent experience with no outward flight and telling then you are leaving overland as I am planning to do via Nepal?

101. Gemmaon 30 Aug 2014 at 10:00 am

Has anyone else managed to get a 6 month entry visa to India, or have they changed it to only 3 months? @ Liz, did you have any luck?

Thanks

102. Lizon 08 Sep 2014 at 5:04 am

No they said they are only giving three month visa now here in Bangkok:/

103. Fregnaon 09 Sep 2014 at 5:37 am

Hi Liz
    can I ask you if it worked out saying you go by land to Nepal without having outward fly ticket.
    thanks a lot. :)

104. jack fentonon 12 Sep 2014 at 5:43 am

I was given only a three month visa from Kathmandu recently. Now i see from Liz on 8 September that Bangkok is also only giving out 3 month visas. Does anybody know if Sri Lanka visa office is the same in the giving?

If so, is this another restrictive strategy from the Indian authorities to block repeated entries? How long might it last? The two-month gap policy was costly for Indian tourist revenue and a hell of a problem for the weary traveler.

Anybody know if this is another dragging policy to stay in place for unspecified timeline?

thanks to any replies jack

105. Roger Smithon 15 Sep 2014 at 2:46 am

When I last visited India in 2012 When I went to pay for my visa because I have lived in Thailand for x amount of years I got a discount on my Visa fee.I am a UK passport holder is this still the case?
    Thanks

106. Matton 25 Sep 2014 at 11:18 am

Hi, Im planning on getting a tourist visa to india from Bangkok with a brazilian passport, and my wife with a french passport. Does anybody know how many months they give for the visa. And in our case we are both dual citizens, two passport each in my case Brazil/American and hers French/Brazil…do they need also the copies of the passports that are not going to be used for the visa??
    Or do you know of any other country its better to get an indian visa for 6 months??

107. skon 01 Nov 2014 at 11:46 am

hello all, im struggeling to find a reference form to fill out …. has anyone else had the same trouble and can help point me in the right direction?? cheers SK

108. Bradon 03 Nov 2014 at 7:19 am

Hello,

My partner and I hold US passports and have been living in Chiang Mai for the past 6 weeks. We currently do not have a visa for India but were told somewhere along the line that we can enter at the door for 30 days. Does anyone know if this is true? Also if its not true, does anyone know if US citizens can apply for the 3 month tourist visa from Bangkok?

Brad

109. Gabion 01 Dec 2014 at 8:31 am

Hello everybody, this site is very useful, but I still have a question. Maybe I’m too stupid, but I don’t get it. And as long I don’t get I cannot book my flight ;-)

For example, I get a 3months double entry tourist visa in Bangkok:

– what does that mean exactly?
    – how many days can I stay each time I enter India?
    – can I stay 3 months in a row?

For example, i get a 6months single entry tourist visa in Bangkok:

– does that mean I can stay in India 6 months in a row?

I hope you understand my examples, I couldn’t find a real answer on that. Thanks for your help.

PS: in Malaysia they told me they give (not to foreigners) a 6 months multiple entry visa, but each visit is only valid for 45 days, that’s why those questions came up.

Gabi

110. Gabion 15 Dec 2014 at 10:58 am

Hello again, in the meantime I’ve applied for the Indian visa in Bangkok and give you the following feedback:

I applied for 6 months double entry. What I got was a 3 months single entry, even I gave them a flight ticket which was for a date after the 3 months. I’m a Swiss. Right before me there was an American, she applied for the same, and she got the 6 months double entry. So as it looks like, they give the visa depending on the nationality.

Could pick it up in 6 working days.

Hope this helps. Gabi