May 10 2012

Catching minibuses at Victory Monument

Published by at 9:29 pm under Transport

Technically speaking, Bangkok has only three long distance bus terminals. Yet the buzzing streets around Victory Monument are a base for fleets of minibuses, not to mention endless streams of local buses, a BTS station, and enough taxis, motorbikes and tuk tuks to make your head spin. Finding the right minibus can be tricky because virtually all signs are posted only in Thai, and because there are a handful of minibus “zones” servicing different destinations. We’ve navigated the Victory Monument maze, however, and figured out how and where to catch that minibus so more of your time can be spent enjoying your destination, not trying to get there.

We promise you victory in finding your mini bus.

We promise you victory in finding your minibus.

Minibuses (“minibus” is just another term for van) are usually a bit more expensive than traditional buses, but they’re considerably faster and more consistent. They also tend to be newer than regular buses so they break down less often, and they’re almost always air-conditioned. The minibuses around Victory Monument only serve a general central region of the country, so don’t expect to get to Chiang Mai or Hat Yai from here, but some do go as far afield as Chanthaburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Kanchanaburi and Ko Samet.

There are several mini bus companies operating from what we’ll call different “zones” (okay they’re really just side streets and parking lots) in the immediate Victory Monument area. While some serve different destinations than others, it’s possible to get to Pattaya (97 baht) or Hua Hin (180 baht) from any of the zones. There is a good deal of overlap among companies for plenty other destinations, but less frequented spots are only served by one or two companies. Virtually all fares fall in the 100 to 200 baht range, with less distant destinations like Don Muang airport (30 baht), Suvarnabhumi airport (40 baht) and Ayutthaya (70 baht) costing less.

You could always just hop in and see where you end up!

You could always just hop in and see where you end up.

To make it as simple as possible, let’s use the Victory Monument BTS (sky train) station as our starting point. To find our first minibus zone, head out of the BTS station at exit 4, go down the stairs, and then walk straight along the footpath for a short distance. Here you’ll find one of the larger and more organised minibus stations — it even has proper ticket windows rather than makeshift sales counters on the street.

Minibuses are available from here to Chachoengsao, Bang Khla, Amphawa, Samut Songkhram, Phetburi, Pak Chong (Khao Yai), Ratchaburi, and Lopburi. As with all the zones, signs are listed in Thai only (apart from Pattaya and Hua Hin), but you should only need to mention your destination before one of the roaming minibus guys shuffles you off to the right vehicle. Prices are fixed and instances of attempted scamming are rare.

If you take the same exit 4 out of the BTS station but pull a U-turn at the bottom of the stairs, another large row of buses are just a short walk away. From here you can also get to Ratchaburi as well as Nakhon Pathom, Kanchanaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chonburi, Nakhon Sawan, Rayong, and Ko Samet.

Your friendly mini bus ticketing agents.

Your friendly minibus ticketing agents.

To reach an altogether different zone, head towards exits 3 and 4 out of the BTS station but pass the exits, continue straight along the sky walk, and then take your first left down the stairs. Go straight into the footpath market maybe 30 metres, and then look to the left. Here you’ll find a side street that winds beside the market where minibuses may be caught to Nakhon Ratchasima, Pak Chong (Khao Yai), Ratchaburi, Nakhon Sawan,  Muang Gan, Nakhon Nayok, Minburi and Ayutthaya. If in need of fuelling up before your journey this area is a great place to enjoy some tasty street eats.

And away you go!

And away you go!

Minibuses to virtually all these destinations depart every 30 minutes to an hour between 06:00 and 17:00 every day, with several buses to major destinations running up until 21:00. Keep in mind however that traffic around the monument can grind to a crawl during rush hours (around 08:00 and 18:00). Victory Monument is located in north-central Bangkok, in the bustling but sparsely touristed Din Daeng area.

And, there you have it — if you want to get out of Bangkok fast, head to Victory Monument and you could be whizzing through countryside in no time.

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “Catching minibuses at Victory Monument” ...

1. Antoniaon 13 May 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thank you for such a detailed and useful post!

2. Kirstyon 16 May 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for this really useful and practical post. I always get soooo lost whenever I go to catch a kamikaze van so I’m going to archive it for future reference ….

3. Stevenon 14 Jul 2012 at 2:11 am

Do you know which station(s) mentioned above can I find the van to Don Muang airport?

It would be time-consuming to find out one by one with my suitcase >.< Thanks!

4. David Luekenson 14 Jul 2012 at 2:42 am

Hi Steven,

Have another look at this paragraph:

“To reach our last minibus zone, head straight out of the sky train station towards exits 3 and 4 and continue on past the exits to the sky walk again, but this time turn to the right and walk a bit just beneath the sky train track. Look for the “Fashion Mall” shopping complex on the right, and take the stairs nearest to it. At the bottom, head straight across the street to Ratchawithi Soi 10, where you’ll find minibuses to Chantaburi, Trat, and Suvarnabhumi airport, along with several other destinations mentioned above. Back across the street at Soi 11 there’s also a minibus that runs to Don Muang airport.”

So, you’ll want Ratchawithi Soi 11 for the mini bus to Don Muang (at least that’s where it was when I wrote this article).

Good luck!

5. Bette Streepon 22 Oct 2012 at 3:03 am

Wish I had seen this website before I endured the ‘just go to Victory Monument to catch minibus’ advice I got.

Victory Monument is a very chaotic place to be for a foreigner. If you have ample time – go with the flow and enjoy the chaos.

But if you are in a bit of a hurry – and have more money – book a mini bus that picks you up from your hotel. It will cost a bit more – but it will save you the hassle and as posted above – gives you more time to enjoy your trip rather than hassling about trying to get there.

6. Nickion 30 Oct 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi, this is a very useful post thanks! I am arriving around 1pm at Don Mueang airport and I want to go straight to Hua Hin. Reading this post I think I should be able to get a a minibus from the airport to Victory Monument and then another minibus to Hua Hin. Can you tell me where at the airport I will find the minibuses?Do I pay just before boarding or is there an office in the airport? How long from the airport to the Victory Monument? It sounds like the last bus leaves at 17.00. Is there a queuing or booking system or is it a bit risky that I might not get a bus? Thanks!

7. David Luekenson 30 Oct 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hi there,

I’ve never taken a mini-bus from Don Muang to Victory Monument, but my friend here has and she says to walk out of the airport straight to the bus stop along the main road (not the airport pick-up / drop-off but the big highway further out) and minibuses park off to the side (look left when you get to the main road). Alternately, local buses #29 and #59 go from the same area along the main road outside Don Muang to Victory Monument, although they make several stops along the way, including Morchit BTS station from where you could catch the sky train to Victory Monument too. Hua Hin bound minibuses are plentiful at Victory Monument, but if you have trouble finding one just make your way to the minibus stations right next to the sky train station (one of them is pictured in this post from above). Have fun in Hua Hin!

8. Anneon 18 Dec 2012 at 3:38 am

Hey guys,
    a friend of mine arrives at 0.10 at Don Muang. Does anyone know if there are still mini-buses going to the city or is the only option a taxi?
    Thx!

9. David Luekenson 18 Dec 2012 at 9:26 am

I’m not certain on this, but I don’t believe any mini-buses run at that time.

10. samon 14 May 2013 at 9:38 am

hi, about taken a mini-bus from Don Muang to Victory Monument, is the place of train station of Don Muang?
    thanks,

11. lakshmion 27 Jun 2013 at 9:21 pm

what is the best option to go to wat bang phra Amphor Nakornchaisri.Nakorn Pathom? Shall I stay in Nakorn Pathom or Bangkok or nearby wat bang phra? what is best time to arrive at wat bang phra for tattoo??Please help me with your smart experience information.Thanks alot

12. David Luekenson 28 Jun 2013 at 9:29 am

Hi Lakshmi,

There’s nowhere to stay (that I know of) near Wat Bang Phra – most visit on a day trip from Bangkok. I’m sure you could also go from Nakhon Pathom, though I can’t provide instructions on that. If you want a tattoo, it’s recommended to get there as early in the morning as you can. Please see our post on Wat Bang Phra for more info:

Also, this is a good post by another blogger that has very detailed info on getting there and the experience in general:

Best of luck,

DL

13. Peteron 30 Oct 2013 at 9:08 am

I heard there is the minbus from Victory Monument go direct to MaeKlong Railway Market.
    If I go there by taxi,
    1. How to get to the correct zone to get the van.
    2. minibus air-conditioned
    3. Any bus schedule
    4. Van fare
    5. What about back from MaeKlong Railway Market, where to catch the van

14. Daniekon 05 Nov 2013 at 8:23 pm

Are there also minibuses go to Ranong from Victory monument?

Thanks

15. David Luekenson 06 Nov 2013 at 2:04 pm

No I do not believe there are any to Ranong. It’s a bit too far. I believe the good buses (24 or 32 seat) leave from Sai Tai Mai (southern) terminal at 8:30, 9:30 and 20:00. There may also be one at 21:00.

16. mike_Jarrett Liuon 06 Nov 2013 at 4:26 pm

When will it be the last mini bus from hua hin to victory monuments?

17. Emma Donovanon 15 Nov 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi there.
    Are the minivans here to aranya prathet for Cambodian border ok for female traveling solo? Hoping to leave Sunday..thanks:-)

18. alan_dklon 18 Nov 2013 at 3:48 pm

From Don Muang airport to Victory monument by minivan

I was at Don Muang Airport on the way to kanchanaburi on the 9 nov. I was told the A2 bus to victory monument no longer in service.

So I decided to check the minivan service to victory monument. Walk right to the end of the airport about 100 meter and exit the airport compound and you are right on the highway and bus stop. You will see some minivan to victory monument. cost 30 bath only. For your information I board the minivan at 5 15 pm. and at 5 45pm I arrived at victory monument. Most of the journey to victory monument for don muaug is by the tollway.

19. Jodyon 18 Jan 2014 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for such a helpful post!

Just had a quick question for you guys. My friends and I are looking to go to Wat Bang Phra and then head to Kanchanaburi after instead of going back to Bangkok. Is this possible by public transport? Is it possible with a hired driver?

Thanks for your help!

20. David Luekenson 19 Jan 2014 at 3:45 am

Hi Jody,
    It’s definitely possible and there are a couple of different ways. Nakhon Chaisi is on the train line from Thonburi station in Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. You could take a train or minibus there then take motorbike taxis or maybe tuk-tuk to Wat Bang Phra. I know there’s a songthaew too but I’ve never taken it so not exactly sure where to catch it. After Wat Bang Phra, go back to Nakhon Chaisi and either catch a train all the way to Kanchanaburi (only one afternoon train – should leave Nakhon Chaisi around 15:00), or catch a local bus / songthaew / minibus to Nakhon Pathom bus station and switch to a Kanchanaburi-bound bus there (they leave regularly until around 20:00). It will be an adventure but certainly doable.

21. Noahon 14 Feb 2014 at 3:06 am

Thanks for your post! Really makes me feel more confident about travelling!

I get into Bangkok airport late, around 10:50 pm. What are my chances of being able to snag an early minibus to Ayutthaya or Suphanburi? I want to see both and make a 24 h loop landing back in Bangkok. Which one should I head to first?

22. williamon 02 Mar 2014 at 12:39 am

HiHi..
    The operating time mini van at Victory Monument to hua hin is (08.00 to 18.00)
    Just want to know the last trip for the mini van.. because my will reach the airport at 17.00. i scary i can’t reach on time at 18.00 ..can give some advise..Thank you

23. Victory Monument | mywayorthethaiwayon 14 Aug 2014 at 9:27 am

[…] Source: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/05/10/catching-minibuses-at-victory-monument/ […]