Nov 06 2013

Thailand reinstates 30-day overland visa-free entries for select nationalities

Published by at 2:33 pm under Visas

Thanks to Travelfish member altmtl for the heads up on this and Thai Visa has the verified scoop on the latest change in Thailand’s seemingly ever changing tourist visa regulations — at least this time it is good news!

Stamp me baby!

Stamp me baby!

As of November 1, 2013 travellers holding UK, US, Japanese, German, French, Canadian and Italian passports are now eligible for a 30-day visa-free entry when entering Thailand by a land crossing, as opposed to the 14 days they were granted previously.

Wondering why these seven countries? They’re the G7 nations. Who is the G7? Yes, I had to Google it too, according to Wikipedia, they are “the seven wealthiest developed nations on Earth by global net wealth” so we guess Thailand is wanting them to spend up big.

This is great news for nationals of the above countries and one hopes that this is the first step in a broader restoration of the 30-day visa-free entry policy.

Other nationalities are still stuck with 14 days, so if you need longer in Thailand, either fly in, which will get eligible nationalities 30 days or get your Thai tourist visa beforehand at an embassy or consulate.

20 Responses to “Thailand reinstates 30-day overland visa-free entries for select nationalities” ...

1. Hannah@GettingStampedon 06 Nov 2013 at 7:35 pm

This is great news! We will be going in and out of Thailand on our RTW trip starting in December!

2. altmtlon 06 Nov 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hi Stuart,

Isn’t it 15 days?

The demonstrations probably had something to do with it – the delayed repairs to the train tracks to Chiang Mai too, not to mention the recent ferry accident – and it is soon to be “High Season” as they say. Most likely they also got a lot of neg. feedback over the years… but then there’s this:

3. captain_bobon 07 Nov 2013 at 3:23 am

^Technically it’s 15 days, but since it’s inclusive of the entry day some prefer to think of it as 14. But then again the 30-day entry is also inclusive of the entry so why not call it 29?

I won’t be surprised if along with this return to 30 days by land entry we also see a return to limits on number of entries/days per six months or per year. Infinite 30-day border hops are prone to abuse.

4. Chrison 07 Nov 2013 at 12:36 pm

How accurate is this information? Does it apply to all surrounding boarders? As I am due to do a Visa run via Malaysia and would rather just cross boarder than go all the way to Penangs Thai Embassy. Thanks Chris

5. Chris Backeon 08 Nov 2013 at 11:02 am

It was a 15 day visa over land (and still is for non-G7 passport holders), but remains 30 days for any passport when you fly in. November does start the high season for Thailand, though the protests probably didn’t factor into that…

The tourist fee is still being discussed, as was the proposal to make travel insurance mandatory for tourists. Both have been rather poorly received, as you might guess.

(An aside: these protests are fairly confined to small geographical areas, and are only found in Bangkok. Around the rest of the country, like Chiang Mai, you’d never know.)

6. Dannyboy6on 11 Nov 2013 at 4:08 am

Fantastic News, 8 hours in a minivan at 90 miles an hour, saves time , money and maybe a Life… For Visa Runs.

7. Brandieon 12 Dec 2013 at 3:10 am

Hi altmtl – thanks for the info. My husband and I got into Thailand on Dec. 2 via a land border crossing (Cambodia) and received the 30 day visa-free stamp. However, we’re looking to stay until around Jan 20 (7 weeks). If we do a border run, will we receive another 30 days for free? Or must we go to an immigration office to receive the appropriate amount of time and pay for an extension? The Thai visa extensions are so confusing!

8. […] Originally Posted by you_me_no_savy_talk_talk fluke aint no 'flukes' when it comes to visas, yo. Thailand reinstates 30-day overland visa-free entries for select nationalities | The Thailand blog […]

9. Johnon 13 Jan 2014 at 12:08 pm

I am from the uk and hold a UK passport. I am going to thailand for 30days so it mean i don’t need a visa. i am want to go to Malaysia by air for a few days then fly back to thailand…will this be ok without a visa?

10. adminon 14 Jan 2014 at 5:21 am

Hi John,

Correct. When youa rrive in Thailand, be it by air or overland, you’ll be given a 30-day visa free stay. So you’ll get one when you first arrive and another when you return from Malaysia.

Cheers

11. Rachelon 23 Jan 2014 at 1:32 pm

Has anyone from the G7 countries crossed to Thailand by land since the last comment was posted (Jan. 14)? We heard that it has recently been changed back to 15 days.

12. jtufhfon 02 Feb 2014 at 8:16 am

just crosses a tbkoh Kong cambo to Thai and got 30 days…canadian

13. angstaon 04 Feb 2014 at 1:19 am

I did this visa run last week and got 30 days.

14. Pjotraon 11 Feb 2014 at 8:44 am

FRANCE one of the wealtiest nations worldwide???????
    The Thai Immigration should do their homework better, or just read western financial newspaper!

15. Lorrieon 19 Feb 2014 at 7:37 am

Hello, thought I’d give up update. I crossed yesterday by land (18/02/14) Penang to Bangkok with immigration at Hat Yai train station. I got given a 30 day visa exemption. I’m British (UK passport). I didn’t get asked for any onward travel proof, in fact, I didn’t get asked a single question! It was much smoother than last time I crossed by land, from Laos to Thailand using Nong Khai in Nov ’12. Lots of questions there and was asked for POOT.

16. A Guide to Living in Chiang Maion 19 Feb 2014 at 12:00 pm

[…] free entry of 30 days on arrival at airports and 15 days at land borders (a recent change means the G7 countries now get 30 days at borders). As these can only be renewed for seven days it’s best to get a two month tourist visa before […]

17. Benon 23 Feb 2014 at 5:38 am

I’m Ozzy but my partners English, will I be able to get a 30 day visa as we are travelling overland from Siem Reap? Help!

18. David Luekenson 23 Feb 2014 at 2:36 pm

English gets 30 days, Ozzy gets 15 days. Stupid, I know.

19. Andrewon 25 Feb 2014 at 7:19 am

This is good news. Would one get in trouble doing this monthy?

20. Markon 10 Mar 2014 at 3:11 pm

Crossed from Thakilek (Burma) to Mae Sai, March 3rd, British citizen, 30 days.

@ Pjotra – France has the 5th largest GDP in the world (as of 2012) so I think it’s you that needs to do your homework, not Thai immigration.