May 18 2011

Accessing Facebook in Vietnam (for Mac)

Published by at 1:58 am under Phone & internet

In my last post I looked at how to access Facebook in Vietnam from a Windows operating system. Mac users: it’s your turn today.

Your first option is to change your Domain Name System number, or DNS, which is just like a phone book; it organises computers by replacing their host names with numerical IP addresses. Here are the steps to change your DNS for Macintosh operating systems.

Go to your Network Preferences and select Advanced Options.

Then click the DNS tab, where you will see two boxes.

Now, type one of the following DNS numbers and add it using the + button.

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
198.153.192.1
198.153.194.1

Finally, hit OK. This may take a little trial and error as some of these DNS numbers can be blocked as well.

If changing your DNS doesn’t work, or you are looking for a more permanent solution, you can try editing your host files. This is the solution I personally use but it is more difficult for those who aren’t as tech savvy.

Edit your Host File:

Open your Terminal located in Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.

Here you will see an old school dialogue box, where you can type commands. Type  sudo  nano /etc/hosts after the $.

You will be required to enter your password (As a word of advice, it may not look like you are typing anything here, but you are.)

You will be taken to your host files where you can copy paste the following list.

153.16.15.71 facebook.com
153.16.15.71 www.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 apps.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 login.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 graph.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 developers.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 error.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 vupload.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 upload.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 secure.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 connect.facebook.com
153.16.15.71 channel.facebook.com
When done, press control-o to save the file.
Press enter and then control-x to exit the editor.

Lastly, we want to flush the DNS cache to have our host files work instantly. Type dscacheutil flushcache after the $ and you’re done.

If that does not work, Facebook has a couple more IP address options for you here.

Your final option would be to use a Proxy Server. Please do have a look toward the end of my last post to see how to use one — the steps are the same.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “Accessing Facebook in Vietnam (for Mac)”

1. Michael Mon 18 May 2011 at 1:17 pm

You can use a free US based website proxy to access Facebook or any blocked website in Vietnam.

Use this above website.

Enjoy :)

2. […] is still blocked in Vietnam. Previously, I have explained how to access Facebook from Windows and Mac based computers, but we don’t always want to lug our laptops around town. Here's how to get on […]

3. Hanh Tranon 09 Oct 2011 at 3:37 am

Thanks Angela n Michael <3

4. Andrew Con 09 Oct 2011 at 2:41 pm

how do i rewind this process ? i can’t upload any photos or videos to facebook anymore when i’m not in the country

5. Angelaon 10 Oct 2011 at 5:16 pm

To undo your host file edits go back into the terminal and delete the Facebook host files you added.

6. Truc Tranon 08 Mar 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thank you for your instructions, i can now log in facebook like i used to. I posted this on my facebook as a sincere thank from me :)

7. Angelaon 12 Mar 2012 at 4:49 pm

You’re welcome!

8. […] in Vietnam. Previously on Travelfish, I have explained how to access Facebook from Windows and Mac based computers, but we don’t always want to lug our laptops around town. Here’s how to […]

9. Mark Ackleyon 19 Jun 2012 at 5:51 am

You can access facebook anywhere in the world using AnchorFree’s Hotspot Shield VPN.

Check it out here: http://www.accessfacebookfromwork.com

Its reliable and easy to use and provides unlimited bandwidth.

10. Billyon 05 Oct 2012 at 12:06 am

Hey Angela

Thanks for these directions. I was in Vietnam and used this to access facebook. But now I’m back in the states and I keep getting an “Invalid URL” error, along with “Reference #9.54e0fc7d.1349395581.35aaacd”. Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!

11. Angelaon 15 Oct 2012 at 4:55 am

Hi Billy! Glad the directions helped. When you get home be sure to clear any extra entries you made in your terminal while in Vietnam. Then your host file should work the same as before. Hope that helps!

12. Enoch Williamson 20 Oct 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hotspot Shield free VPN is always a best option for vietnam users to access blocked sites >> http://www.thehotspotshield.com

13. sarahon 28 Oct 2012 at 12:52 pm

THANKS THE DNS THING WORKS !!!!!!!!!! I USED THE FIRST NUMBERS :)

14. Linhon 15 Nov 2012 at 9:31 am

okay i have done the host! but now vietnam unblock it and because i did the host action, i cannot access fb when it is unblock. I keep getting invalid url. how can i reverse the process to what I would have had in the beginning?

15. adminon 15 Nov 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi Linh,

See Angela’s comment above, edit the Hosts file again to remove any entries you entered, then you should be set.

Cheers

Stuart

16. Linhon 15 Nov 2012 at 11:00 am

i have but i don’t understand how to clear host. could you please give me instructions? really appreciated!!!

17. rachelluon 22 Dec 2012 at 2:56 am

thanks, after trying so many different methods, your way actually works :)

18. mikeon 25 Dec 2012 at 12:23 pm

thanks this worked.

19. Dannyon 04 Feb 2013 at 6:13 am

Thank you very much for your post, really!!!! I added a new DNS name and Facebook access was allowed immediately!!!!!!! You guys are geniuses and the explanation was very clear.

20. Anytaon 05 Jul 2013 at 2:07 am

How about accessing Facebook in Vietnam on iPad?

21. Tiphaineon 03 Sep 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hey! I tried to change the terminal but facebook never worked. Now that I am back in my country I can no longer access facebook with my computer. How can I unedit the host file?

22. adminon 04 Sep 2013 at 2:14 am

Hi Tiphaine,

To reverse the changes, open the same file as instructed above but DELETE the extra entries you previously added. So delete:

153.16.15.71 facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 http://www.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 apps.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 login.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 graph.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 developers.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 error.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 vupload.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 upload.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 secure.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 connect.facebook.com
    153.16.15.71 channel.facebook.com

Then save the file.

You should then be back to normal.

Cheers

23. jooliaon 04 Sep 2013 at 3:11 pm

The best way to access blocked websites is to use a vpn service,
    saturnvpn.com is the best you can get,
    1Month only $3.3 | 2Months $5 | 3Months $7 | 6Months $10 | 12Months $16 |
    It has totally FREE test account.

24. Yvonneon 20 Feb 2014 at 1:11 am

Thank you so much Angela, for this post. I was using the VPN, Hotspot Shield, to access FB, but found that it slowed down the connection so I wasn’t able to upload photos. I’ve added the DNS addresses you gave and everything is back to normal again and I can upload albums again. Thanks for the detailed instructions!