About us forum

Using the forums - problem viewing

• heleni

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I can't read the posts in the forums or their content.

Everything is obscured by advertising and other text on the left hand side. (Air Asia Angkor and general Travelfish headings). It is a mess. How are other people managing???

Even as I type this a box is smacked right on top of the right side.
    What to do?

#1 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Are you using firefox by any chance?

I had the same problem a while back and sent Somtam some screenshots because he couldn't see anything wrong on his screen. He said no one else had complained and reckoned it was a cache problem with my laptop. Clearing the cache and cookies and rebooting didn't help though.

It's only a problem when viewing the forum using firefox and as far as I can tell, this is the only site affected. Very weird.

Anyway, try using another browser. Google Chrome works fine for me.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 01:59

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

are you using Firefox v3.0? i do have a similar problem when using certain older versions of Firefox (unfortunately i don't have permission to modify/upgrade any software on those computers). & sometimes a huge black box blocking the last post in a thread & the space for 'Add your reply', which disappears after a while (maybe when all the advertisements finally finish loading). no problems with Firefox v3.0.19, though there's still something below the 'Add your reply' box that never ever completes loading (maybe facebook-related).

#3 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 08:54

• heleni

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Sadly I can't read your repies. The screen It has the big red Air Asia ad splashed over the top of the replies. Have been in touch with Travelfish about this and sent them screen snaps. Will feedback!

#4 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 15:53

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Heleni, I'd been having exactly the same issues and I've finally found out what's causing the problem.

I'm using an asus netbook with a 10.1 inch screen which has a zoom function on the touchpad like this:

http://gadgetophilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/touchpad.jpg

It's a screen resolution problem. Just zooming out a little bit fixes things.

I've no idea why things only looked weird when using firefox browser or why it only seems to be a problem on this site, but there's your solution!

Wanderingcat's bug sounds slightly different to me ...

#5 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 19:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi I've changed the forum layour (moving the navigation and ads to the right column rather than the left. This (I'm hoping) should fix the problem SBE and heleni are having.

If this change in layout causes problems for others, please let me know!

Thanks

#6 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 10:21

• heleni

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Amazed at how quickly this was resolved! Thank you so much.
    For info the problem seemed to be that I have my screen resolution set at 600 x 800. It all looks so much better now. Hope it is as good for everyone else too!

#7 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 02:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.