admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, long promised, now (kinda) delivered.

To use the private messaging you need to do the following:

Login and go to the Member Profile section ans change the following:
    Set "Messaging" to "enabled"
    Set "Profile" to "Public"

Once you have done this, on the main Member Profile screen you'll see a new link in the left column reading "Click here for Private Messages"

Click on that and that will take you to the Private message thingy. At first view it should be largely blank.

### CONTACTING ANOTHER MEMBER ###
    It is important to remember that the default setting for private messaging is "Off". The system will not let you send a message to someone who has not enabled it and likewise if you have not enabled it you will neither be able to send or receive them.

You contact people via the forum -- as you'll see in the left column beside this post (under the pic) there is a link reading "Private message". You click on that and you'll be taken to a screen that will let you send me a message -- note you need to have enabled private messaging yourself and obviously be logged in for this to work.

### MANAGING THE MAYHEM
    On the main Private messaging screen you'll see there are three sections:
    1) Messages you have sent
    2) Messages you have received
    3) Shortcut

The first is pretty self explanatory.

The second, click on a link and you'll see not only the message show up, but also a form box so you can shoot off a reply straight away. You can't reply to your own messages!

The shortcut section will list the usernames of people you have already contacted. This is to save you digging through the messageboard trying to find a link to someone you want to contact. Initially there is nobody listed -- feel free to send me a message to test it out -- I reply to all PMS :)

### RULES OF THE HOUSE
    1) This is basically a cutdown version of the forum. All HTML (so bolds, italics etc) is stripped out. Any website addresses will appear as intended, but they will not be clickable (recipient will need to copy and paste it into the url bar). Don't use the UBB code - it has been disabled for this section.

2) Members are under no obligation whatsoever to activate any of this, so please don't pester people asking them to activate their messaging. Ask once.

3) Be nice. The messages go through the same filter for bad language etc.

4) The messages are "private" in that they cannot be read by casual visitors to the site, but they are not encrypted and can be read by me. Believe you me I have better things to do with my time than reading member's private messages. Just sayin.

5) Don't spam.

### SUGGESTIONS
    As you'll see this is a very basic PM system -- if you have suggestions on how it could be improved, or if you have any display problems etc, please post below so I'm aware of it.

One thing I'm thinking of adding is an email notification whenever you receive a PM - let me know if people are keen for this.

Questions, as always, welcome.

#1 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 16:18

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Very cool, Somtam!!

I think an email notification is a definite requirement. Usually when I come to the site I am just reading the latest posts. I rarely bother logging in unless I post myself so don't see myself checking my PM's just in case someone sent me something.

I would think that an email notification is a necessity to make this work successfully for most people.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 03:55

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Even when you're logged in you can't see if you've got a message unless you click on the member center box at the top of the page. Email notification is definitely a good idea!

#3 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 04:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Another suggestion .... it would be nice to not have to log in time I come to the site (assuming I want to make a post). What about a 'keep me logged in' option in the Member Profile area (turned off as a default).

Then, add a 'Private Messages' link somewhere on the Home Page that will allow me to go straight there, instead of the current 2-3 step process.

Now... what about that edit function?! :-)

#4 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 05:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK, once you're logged in there is a "private messages" link at the top of every page.

We don't keep people logged in because many use it at internet cafes and we prefer to drop the session rather than leaving it for people to log out.

Hope that clears it up.

#5 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 09:25

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I have been caught out three times by not adding a 'topic title' and then losing the whole message. I know, i know, you would think i could learn but if i spend 10 minutes PM'ing i just forget.

Is there anyway you could make a default topic of [No topic added] or something so that even if you forget it doesn't just delete the message you've written?? I presume there is some reason why you need a topic title in the first place.

I thought i'd add, its been nice watching the way TF has progressed/developed so much since i started using it. I think it's only been less than a year but things are moving fast. Keep up the good work. I don't come on here as much these days because it just reminds me of what i'm missing!

#6 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 02:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK, title text added in.

Thanks for the praise :)

#7 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.