Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi all,

Just a quick note here to dispel rumours I'm spending all my time surfing...

The reason I've been on the site rarely of late is because we're in the closing stages of a major redesign of the Travelfish website, so while I have been busy (trying) to learn to surf, we've also been busy beavering away to try and make the whole "Travelfish Thang" a bit more of an enjoyable and useful process for you all (and us!).

So I just wanted to highlight a few of the changes that are on the way.

*) There will be a fully fledged, seamless mobile site for anyone who likes to browse the site on a mobile phone. It looks jolly good on any phone fancier than, well, mine.

*) The blue pop-out navigation box thingy, that I've never been happy with, is going.

*) You'll be able to edit forum posts (yes, finally: We're calling it the "SBE/BusyLizzy edit function")

*) You'll be able to login with Facebook or Twitter (assumming you use one of those services) and you'll be able to share stuff on Travelfish across to Facebook.

*) You'll be able to grab the new version of our Free Travel Guides. Imagine they're about midway between the old eFish and the Travelfish Guides -- but, in a way, better than both. They will remain 100% free.

*) You'll be able to make lists. These are lists of stuff you like. You can make lists about just about anything you want ("My top 10 dodgy massage joints with a happy ending" probably won't make the cut, but "My Top 5 beaches in Asia" or "My Top 7 pad thai stalls of all time" certainly will)

*) You'll be able to comment on Food, entertainment, sights and transport listings.

*) You'll be able to grab any section of the site and build your own little PDF guidebook.

*) They'll be some Indonesia stuff starting to appear on the site (starting with some excellent coverage of Yogyakarta and Solo in Java)

*) You'll be able to get a better idea of what has been updated, when and why (on a daily basis).

*) You'll be able to report spam and the moderation thang I mentioned a while back will (finally) go live.

*) We'll be adding new country-based information, covering history, culture, food and all that kinda thing.

*) Some location-based guff (Foursquare/gowalla etal) may make the cut -- or maybe I'll just go surfing that day :)

*) And MOST IMPORTANTLY, assumming Thailand doesn't try to self destruct again in November, they'll be a lot of new research coming onto the site -- and that's what will help you all the most I think.

There is other stuff as well, but the above is some of the bigger changes.

Overall it is a far better looking and more functional version of the current site. It will load faster and be easier to read and we hope you'll continue to use it!

Cheers

Stuart

PS: When is all this happening? End of July/early August.....

... unless I go surfing.

#1 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 14:24

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Quote:
    *) You'll be able to edit forum posts (yes, finally: We're calling it the "SBE/BusyLizzy edit function")

See...... I KNEW you could do it! :-D

Seriously though, it all sounds like exciting stuff. I look forward to the big reveal!

PS. We're honoured!

#2 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 17:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"*) You'll be able to grab any section of the site and build your own little PDF guidebook."

And of course you know that this one has great appeal, too!

Happy surfing!

#3 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 17:54

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Sounds brilliant, love the fact it'll be viewable as a mobile sight for when I'm on the road, and just in time for my September trip! Good work!

#4 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 18:40

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

*Meant site not sight. God bless the imminent edit button!

#5 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 18:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"God bless the imminent edit button!"

Yes indeed! Gosh fame at last. :-))

My phone doesn't do anything except phone people and send text messages unfortunately (that's about as technically advanced as I can cope with anyway) but it all sounds very exciting and I may think about investing in an iphone when this one dies. It's great that the TF guides are going to remain 100% free ... not sure how you ever manage to make any money??? but thanks for that!

What do you mean about changing the blue popout navigation thingy? Will the TF site look totally different?

Err I didn't quite grasp why "You'll be able to make lists of things you like" is a major technical breakthrough.

I can make lists already, l@@k.

Shopping list for my next trip

1. New underwater camera, not an Olympus mju cos I've had four of them and they all leaked.

2.New rechargeable AA batteries and faster charger. My batteries are worn out and a fast charger is very useful when you only have a few hours electricity a day.

3.Maybe a new backpack (current one, bought for 1000B off a street stall in BKK, miraculously didn't fall apart during my last trip but maybe I shouldn't totally rely on it for another year)

4.Some kind of ipod thing(I think I'm the only person on the planet without one). Not just for music, I wouldn't mind having audio books and language lessons to listen to on long boring bus rides as well ... but I don't know if you can do that with ipods?

5. Dehumidifying sachets for electronics. Very high humidity levels in SE Asia and I hardly ever stay in places with A/C. I need something to keep my cameras and netbook dry and prevent too much green mold growing.

There you go, I made a list! Can't wait to watch you surfing, think I'll just sit and admire with a cold beer mind you! ;-)

#6 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 17:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.