admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

First up, my apologies that what was supposed to be a two hour Saturday-morning interruption to your coffee slurping turned into a two day delay-plagued upgrade.

So this is the new Travelfish and let this become the bug thread!

Let's start with the "things Stuart still has to do"

a) The background pattern doesn't line up properly
    Yes I know, and quite obviously you should cancel your trip right now. Next week.

b) You can subscribe to forum discussions, but they don't show in the Member Centre
    Next week

c) Where has the FAQ section gone?
    It's being moved into the forum ... next week.

d) The Indonesia section has nothing ... NOTHING!
    Ahh That's because I haven't added it yet. We'll be adding coverage to Solo, Yogya and some of Bali, you guessed it, next week. Hey at least the pics are good!

Moving onto what we have done:

a) Generally looks kind of alright.

b) There is a mobile site. Check out the site with your iPhone or iPodTouch (same URL) and you'll see what I mean. (At the moment it is only gauged to Apple devices, but we'll work to expand it to others down the track).

c) Bigger guesthouse photos. This will roll over over time, see the accommodation listings in Hanoi for an example.

d) You can comment on more stuff -- sights, transport and, as before, accommodation.

e) Finally, yes Finally, S & B can edit their posts (and everyone else for that matter).

f) Fully integrated with Instapaper -- if you don't know what that is, Goolge them -- very cool tool for reading stuff.

g) There's more, but I'm tired and I'll do a proper post about all this tomorrow.

Bugs

I hate the critters! Please post all your bugs (and I am expecting quite a few) below. The more information you give, the more helpful it will be to me to sort it out. (That's code for comments like "Your site is broke" are not much use.)

Thankyous

Lastly, thanks to all the Travelfish members who threw their ten baht coins at me with a note attached suggesting a way the site could be improved. Some of the suggestions we've implemented came in quite a while ago -- so there you go, we didn't ignore you!

Cheers & thanks

Stuart & Sam

#1 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

congratulations! the new site looks fantastic! there are quite a few excellent new features too.

i'm looking but afraid i haven't found any bugs yet. i'll be sure to let you know if i find any. is there a contest with a free Travelfish 2.0 t-shirt for the person who identifies the most bugs?

take care.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 01:14

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Congrats! A nice surprise to go with my Monday morning coffee.

A suggestion that is site related but not a fault due to the change. Wouldn't it be best to use the local currency when quoting prices? Not all of us think in US Dollars and I am guessing a 30,000 Kip room costs 30,000 Kip regardless of the ups and downs of the US Dollar.
    The current surge of the Australian Dollar (or plummet of the US Dollar) for example does change things a lot.

Great Website !

#3 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 04:50

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Somtam great effort. Just noticed in the members area that certain links are overlapping e.g guides etc. Love all the pics rolling through
    cheers
    swag

#4 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 05:12

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey,

Everything looks great. Love that you've made it really easy to click on all the maps you provide - that was the first thing that brought me to Travelfish all those many years ago - my Laos map search.

Updated and looking good.

#5 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 06:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

SBE, where are you?? The sarong dance and Bintang bribe (almost one year ago!) finally paid off - we have an EDIT button!!

(Hmmm.... between the edit AND the preview buttons, I have no more excuses for my typos now.)

Well done, Somtam - it's looking awesome! You deserve a pat on the back - and an afternoon off in the hammock. :-)

EDIT: And the edit button actually works - yay!

#6 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 06:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks all!

@exacto - we'll be doing something with the tshirts shortly...

@5acrefarmer - generally we list the price in whatever currency the guesthouse does. So in Laos some list their prices in kip, others in dollars or baht. Likewise here in Bali, some are in rupiah others in dollars.

@swag can you tell me what browser you're using please? Looking forward to a couple of beers before you hit the Gilis...

@casey some more good map stuff on the way. I haven't added all the new stuff yet what

@lizzy SBE is currently holding up a hammock somewhere in southern Sulawesi - am sure we'll be hearing from her when she returns to civilisation. Yes, the edit works. No more excuses :)

#7 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 08:14

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somtam, now I realise, I am at work and they are still running the old IE6 I think it is.Cheapskates that's probably the reason. Yes a couple of beers will be great.

#8 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 11:38

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'll admit that I check the message board probably once a day - but I miss the longer string of messages on the front page. I feel like there are usually more threads running at any given time and the current string on the front page only allows for the very most recent conversations to be on display outside of the particular forum. For me, the longer string of topics meant I might miss a day and still see every topic that was up, while if I missed two or three days I was probably missing some conversation that sank below the string. Now, I feel like if I miss a day I'll have missed some entire conversations.

just a thought. i should probably focus on my job anyway.

#9 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 20:06

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

love the new site.
    I am having trouble with the guides section. I enter all info, hit "bake it" and nothing happens. My library gallery remains empty.
    Agree with casey: I liked the longer list of threads on the home page.

#10 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"just a thought. i should probably focus on my job anyway."

Ha! That probably applies to MOST of us!! :-)

I find that when you edit a post, extra lines appear to be inserted in between each paragraph (when viewing in the preview mode) but when you save, all blank lines are removed and all paragraphs run into one. (As has occurred in this post.)

In preview mode, it appears nicely laid out; when I save it, it all runs together. If I insert extra lines between paragraphs (in preview mode), they are removed when I save.

#11 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 02:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The double spacing thing is weird and I'm not seeing it. Will try on more browsers later today. Please, when reporting a bug, let me know what browser and platform you're on -- for example: "Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7" -- makes it easier for me to reproduce the problem.

Re the links going bad (re CaptainBob) that's on my list - again it is not always happening.

Forum list on front page. I have a fix for that that should be good, hopefully done today.

Also will look at the Bake button not baking. Strange - again works for me!

Cheers

#12 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 05:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just tried the Baking - it's not working for either me in Chrome 6 or IE8. I've checked my library but the aren't there. (The ones that I did when testing earlier are still there though)

#13 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 06:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was using Chrome 6 when having the paragraph problem.

I am now using IE8 and will see what happens here in this post when I do an edit.

EDIT: adding a new paragraph to see what happens.
    EDIT2: obviously it's a problem in IE8 as well.

#14 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 06:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Pleas try the build guide feature again and let me know if you still have problems with it.

Trying out the para graph problem. chiang mai and ko phi phi.

again

Edited
    and again.

#15 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 09:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The guides worked perfectly this time (in Chrome and IE).

I stumbled another something else though....(another low priority thing for your list though):

I just randomly picked a place (Boun Neua), created the guide and had a quick scroll through. Noticed that there lots of blank pages with headers only (ie Accom, Eat and Meet, Sights, Transport). After a quick check on the main website, it's presumably because this info doesn't exist for this area. Would be good to not produce the page if there is no info to print (regardless of whether or not it's selected).

#16 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 09:37

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Great work on the site. It looks very slick and easy to use

2 points from my side:

- In my last post (Cambodia, Saigon and Siem Reap) it showed the URLs for the names of towns instead of the underlined names. In preview it looked fine though
    - Related to my current post. Is it possible to enable "copy&paste"? This is the second time I write this (I mean this actual piece of text). The first time I realised I wasn't logged in and wanted to copy but alas, and lost my text. May be that I'm just silly and missed a way to work around the use of the right button.

#17 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 12:57

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I've successfully baked a guide. Very slick. Love this new feature. thanks!

#18 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 20:51

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

the new site is eye openingly good. very professional...not like the last one :)

#19 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 04:51

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Minor Point: I'd like to see more 'new/current' thread conversations on the front page. I don't usually go to look in individual forums when I come but often just stop by to check out what conversations are ongoing - with 15 up I feel like a lot of conversations slip away before they are fulfilled - sometimes a couple days will go by with a 0 reply, and then something comes through - the earlier setup seemed to allow more shelf life for these things.

#20 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 09:32

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

and i'm getting a bunch of htlm code showing if you look at the post here - rather than the map and the direct links to places:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/12135_from-china-to-thailand

#21 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 16:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@casey, yup am aware of this one - it is happening hapharardly - looking at it tomorrow - tks!

#22 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 16:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm thinking/hoping that the link coding problem is fixed now. Am keeping an eye on it though.

Please bear in mind that it is a simple system (home baked) and twisting and cavorting back and forward in the preview/edit screens will probably have things go a bit askew.

Other queries:
    Homepage post list
    Now 30 posts are shown (unless you're on iPhone in which case is still 15)

Blank pages in PDF guides
    Tomorrow

@eastwest - can you tell me what browser you use please, 'cause you shouldn't be able to type in the box if you;re not logged in.

Ok, I'm now off to mix myself a serious G&T ;-)

#23 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 21:08

• AjarnPasa

Click here to learn more about AjarnPasa
    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Places visited:
    At least 92

Nice job dude.

Bug 1: smilies return a broken pic link icon
    Bug 2: Thai script not rendered. e.g. สวัสดี
    All that gobbledygook should read 'sawatdee' in Thai script.
    Using Chrome with Windows Vista

Cheers

#24 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 22:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK, it works again. BUT will only work in the Thai language forum (I've disabled the link thingamagig in that forum as that is what is caning the Thai script). The downside of this is you'll probably get some whacky links.

For now, we can't have fancy links and Thai script, soo will need to work around that for now.

Smilies I'll look at tomorrow.

Cheers

/s

#25 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 22:14

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey there...

Three more things for you to look at (I'm using Chrome):

1. If I want to reply to a post, and I log in at the bottom of the thread, I am redirected to the Home Page once I have logged in. It used to be that I would remain in the current thread.

2. Eastwest is correct - the Your Reply box is enabled before you log in.

3. I noticed on an old post of mine that the formatting has converted to HTML code. (It looked fine at the time I posted it, but seems to have gone haywire days after the event, presumably related to some other change). Post is (#7) . The only formatting I had originally was some italics I think. (Possibly related to changes you made for Thai script?)

#26 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 02:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

OK - link in above post didn't come out at all using the HTML link button. Point 3 relates to my posts here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/12130_how-much-does-your-apt-cost-per-month-#7

#27 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 02:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As you'll see I've removed some of the formatting tools.

The text box should now be disabled if you're not logged in.

Some posts using colour tags, like the one referenced by lizzy above, will now look funny. I'll fix them. Don't use the colour tag anymore.

Broken smilies - looking into it.

#28 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 07:08

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Well, Stuart, you've set yourself quite a task here, no?

Thanks for bringing back the message board summary to the home page, btw; I liked that feature of the old site.

This must quite the pain in your posterior just now, but the site looks great. Thanks for taking on the renovation!

#29 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 08:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@archmichael Thanks - glad you like the revised site. Always expect some teething probs - hopefully will settle down soon! :)

#30 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 07:21

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

No doubt.

#31 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 08:56

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've got the same problem as busylizzy's first one: when I log in when in a thread it takes me to the home forum page for the forum I'm looking at (in other words, if I'm looking at a thread from the Vietnam forum it takes me to the Vietnam forum home page). I then have to re-find the thread I wanted to reply to. It used to keep me on the thread page. I'm on Internet Explorer (no idea what version), Windows XP.

#32 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 12:48

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

@somtam

silly thing is that I don't know which version I use. Just bought a new laptop with windows 7. I guess it's IE 8. Couldn't find it so quickly.
    Saw a few posts back that you have sorted it and I tried it and it worked (wasn't able to write). Thanks and great work in general.

Also have the same as busylizzy and sarah regarding being taken back to forum home page

#33 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 13:07

• Carlton

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010
    Location United States

Just joined and don't know any better. To me this site is great and I appreciate everything you're doing. Travelfish.org is #1!

#34 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 15:42

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia

There is a bug with trying to subscribe to the Travel with kids forum through RRS feeds - says this page can't be found when you click on the RRS icon
    Regards
    Suzi

#35 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 04:08

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia

Same for the Trip Reports RRS feed and Travel Deals
    Regards
    Suzi

#36 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 04:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Carlton - Thanks!

@swatral - those RSS feeds are fixed now. Thanks

#37 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 09:46

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

New site looks fantastic... bravo!

#38 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 03:24

• 5acrefarmer

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia

As someone fairly new to the site, I often find myself reading some good information and then wondering how I stumbled onto it. I just realised that a lot of very good travel advice is 'hidden' away on the 'stories' page. Information about Malaria for example is important advice but not really a story. A lot of the information on the stories page could possibly be better positioned on the 'planning' page or elsewhere.

#39 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 12:08

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

I am greatly impressed with the new site, and the old site was pretty impressive to begin with! One personal bugbear for me - is it not possible to have hyperlinks open in a new tab rather than the existing one. At the moment I always right click and manually select open in new tab but I do get annoyed when I forget then lose the thread I was reading (I realise I can just get it back by pressing, well BACK I suppose). What does everyone else think? Just me then....I'll get me coat...

#40 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 16:51

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Yes, I agree. It would be great if they could open in another window.

#41 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 19:49

• 5acrefarmer

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia

Important point. All websites should want to keep their visitors connected and not drift away via a link that opens in the same window.

#42 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 05:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@DLeuk Thanks!

@5acrefarmer re the hidden stuff. The especially useful/popular stuff will become more obvious. Am adding the new design one stage at a time so that I can keep on top of bugs etc.

Re the links opening in a new window. That's a personal preference on my behalf - if I want something in a new window, I use the right click, I don't like the automatic open in a new window approach. So sorry, but you'll need to keep using that right click button :)

#43 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 07:06

• ElaineMcG

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010

Random question but think this is the right place to post it..... One thing that has really been frustrating me since I've joined the site is the fact that on all my posts underneath my user name it shows up that I am a longtail driver HOW CAN I CHANGE THIS, I've been trying but have been unsuccessful?????
    I'm easily annoyed eh but your help would be greatly appreciated for me to overcome this somewhat minor problem!!!

#44 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 19:39

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Elaine: The titles that appear under peoples' names is a function of how many posts you've made. As you make more posts, the title changes. In your case, you've already "graduated" from Newbie to Longtail Driver.

PS: as you may already know, a longtail is a type of boat.

#45 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 21:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Just wait until you get enough posts to become the 'noodle lady'! I had to keep posting just so that I could move on from that one! :-)

#46 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 05:14

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

And what's wrong with noodle ladies, I might ask ?

#47 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 04:25

• ElaineMcG

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010

Ah well now that I've got that cleared up I can let it stop annoying me and I'll look forward to posting more in order to get my new "title"!!!

#48 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 09:52

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And what's wrong with noodle ladies, I might ask ?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with noodle ladies. I've met some very nice noodle ladies. I like noodle ladies, especially ones that make nice noodles. It just didn't feel right being called a noodle lady, even though my noodles aren't too bad. 'Beach bum' might be more appropriate! Actually, I like exacto's tag: 'under-employed'! Maybe I should be 'under-travelled'. :-)

#49 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 10:01

• yourvegasway

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2010

why not put register upper to the top to encourage more people become a user?

#50 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 13:26

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Busylizzy:

I would never demean noodle ladies ...

"Under-travelled" - there you go. Perhaps mine would be Better Late Than Never.

#51 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 23:02

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

when i try to type Don Khon g it breaks of the g and forces it to link to Don Khon - just a note . . . as you can see

#52 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 09:03

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Have just found a bug.
    On the page:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/philippines
    there is "photo gallery" block on the left. But whe i try to click either on the image or on "view gallery" link i got "lost in space" page :)

#53 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 21:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Somtam - if I make a post on a thread (it's the second post), someone else responds with a 3rd post, and I then edit my post - my post drops down to the bottom of the thread, which means the flow of conversation is lost. Any chance of stopping this from happening?

Example here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/12993_last-minute-packing-panic

#54 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 15:20

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

hi somtam, thanks for the great site. the info here has been invaluable.

links for posters websites seem to be broken, mine included. see below

#55 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 13:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@savorygal - thanks!

Add http:// to the start of the website address in the member profile bit and it should work out ok.

#56 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 16:10

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hiya,
    I've just joined so I dont know the difference, but i'd just like to say what a great site very user friendly and all the info I need under one roof......pats on the back all round for the travelfish crew!!
    thanks guys, all your work is really appreciated!

LeChron ; )

#57 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 04:44

• waynel

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2010

The new site looks great Stu! congrats

#58 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 21:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Two requests please

1. Keep me logged in longer. It gets a bit annoying when I've been writing up a response which might take more than a few minutes (or get interrupted midstream, kettle boils, go to the bog, make coffee, etc and have to come back to my desktop later) only to submit it and find out I'm no longer logged in (argh!) and have effectively lost my work. How about lengthening the timeout metre to something like 1 hour?

2. Automatically open links in new browser window like most sites, so I don't "intuitively" close the window to find I'm right back at the desktop. I think you'll find most users expect new windows to be spawned when clicking url links, not effectively leaving Travelfish.

Cheers if you'll consider these changes.

#59 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 19:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Strange as the timeout is currently set to an hour. I'll test it later tonight.

Regarding the open in a new window, you can just right click on a link to open in a new window :)

@LeChron and Wayne - thanks!

Cheers

#60 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 14:44

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't know if it's my browser or something else but the 2nd horizontal (button)bar is a bit screwed up.

It used to be fine but since roughly a week or so the graphics are simply times new roman and the buttons do not appear as such.
    When I move the cursor over 1 of the buttons it becomes a vertical button bar. I can still click and choose but it's a bit strange.
    Haven't tested it in depth and it's most likely just cosmetics.

I'm using IE8 and also previously when I didn't have that "problem"

#61 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 15:06

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I'm having the same problem as eastwest and also use IE8. Plus the left column (I don't know what it's called) has dissapeared.

#62 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 12:54

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I see that my latest point has been repaired. Thanks for that. Don't know (obviously) if it works for Sarah as well.

#63 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 17:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi eastwest,

Yup fixed them the other day -- was being caused by the small AirAsia ad that used to be at the end of the toolbar.

Tks for bringing it to my attention :)

#64 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 18:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Dear Somtam.

I see there's heaps of space for more buttons at the top of the "post messages" box...is there any chance of a photo button so we can put pictures in our posts without having to post them elsewhere and put in a link? It's a bit laborious doing it that way.

Reason: I'd like to post an underwater picture of a very weird looking fish I saw recently ... I've tried looking online but can't find anything that looks like it. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of surgeon fish but it's got a face that makes it look like the fish version of elephant man. Bit hard to describe in words. Thought that maybe someone in the diving branch might be able to ID it if they could see it.

Other people might find it useful to illustrate posts with pics of places they've been etc too.

#65 Posted: 18/3/2011 - 17:33

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I don't know whether this is a Travelfish bug or a browser bug, but I can't use the browser BACK button whilst on the site. This has been an issue for ages but never really bothered me as I just go back to HOME. But I've been using the search function and, once I've read an item from the search results, want to get back to the results to see what else has come up but I can't. So I end up going back to HOME and typing my search term in again. Sorry, if this has been raised before.

#66 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 20:39

• y8gamesfriv

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2011

okay, i think i may have found one. i was logged into the member center. love the listing of forum threads to which i've recently contributed by the way. on that topic, i think i just passed from somtam seller to under-employed. should i be concerned?

anyway, under the "my comments" area is a listing of the 15 or so hotel reviews i made during the last trip. the info says that i can edit those reviews by clicking on the name of the property. but when i click, nothing happens and i get the "error on page" message in the lower left corner.

hope that is useful for you. cheers.

#67 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 17:10

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Not really a bug and perhaps it has been requested before:

When I try to login and make a mistake (yeah, I'm getting older) the error-page doesn't give me an opportunity to try again. You're immediately assuming that something terrible is wrong and I have to click the back-button. Normally websites let you try immediately again on that error-page.

Could be that you did it intentionally but I don't see the reason why.

#68 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 19:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

On my computer screen the top of the forum has a white band under the private messages bit which makes it very hard to see the writing saying "private messages".

Also there's a grammar mistake when you send messages. "A messages" is not proper English!

#69 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 17:35

• jackytan

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

Hi there
    i am jacky tan, a new comer for this travelfish site, i would love to read and never mind to participate some kind faire disscusion

#70 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 17:18

• crazyhorse

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2008

Can I ask questions about sri lanka on forum site . New site looks good

#71 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 07:15

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

OK, thanks for this blog as it is necessary. I am thinking about going back to South East Asia so I am "studying" again!!!!!!!!! hahhaha Great site!!! Love and hugs from Argentina.

#72 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 18:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When spam gets deleted all the spammed threads stay put. There are loads of really old posts on the home page at the moment and all the more recent threads get buried.

Probably easily fixed, just a question of adding random commas and slashes to the code I expect. ;-)

#73 Posted: 4/8/2011 - 16:22

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And the reposting bug when you hit the go back button hasn't been fixed either.

#74 Posted: 4/8/2011 - 16:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Don't use the back button :)

The spam message thing isn't an easy fix unfortunately, and won't be changed in the near future. On the upside most of the spam gets caught so you don't see it at all!

#75 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 13:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

After this current spammer made 114 posts, reactivating old threads, are you sure you can't reconsider that?? Good grief - we have no way of finding the threads that contain the more recent legit posts now.

Maybe you can build in some logic that doesn't allow someone to post more than 5 posts in a 10 minute period, or similar.

#76 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 16:38

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

Since the problem with the forum on the home page a few days ago, when using the mobile site it only displays the past 4 threads whereas previously there were a pageful of them. Not sure if this is deliberate or something that's still pending a fix but I do prefer being able to see more recent posts at a glance if it's possible.

Also what's with all the motorbikes in Vietnam posts - is that a spam thing too or just a lot of very keen riders?!

#77 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 00:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@KirstyB Mobile site back to 15 :)

Problems are continuing - we've blocked all traffic from China (temporarily) while try and deal with what they are doing. Hopefully should have it nutted out today -- apologies for the hassle - especially if you're in China!

#78 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 05:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Only a tiny number of TF users are going to be interested in buying/selling a motorbike at any given moment yet that's what the motorbike forum mostly gets used for (especially by users posting from Vietnam). It's bloody annoying and of no interest to the majority of TF users.

Can't the motorbike part of forum be strictly limited to talking about road trips, suggested routes etc? Why are motorbike owners allowed to use TF as a free small ad service to buy and sell motorbikes? I have a used camera and an an old guidebook I don't need ... can I use TF to flog them?

Newspapers make people pay for personal ads....can't TF do that too for all these people selling motorbikes and keep all ads out of the main forum? Anyone looking to buy a bike could easily look at a dedicated "bikes wanted and for sale" section and it would be easier for buyers to compare what's on offer too.

#79 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 06:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@SBE yeah - we've been talking about this for a while (not not allowing them, but keeping them off the front page). Will take a look once things settle down.

#80 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 06:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with SBE on this - the influx of motorbike for sale posts is getting bloody annoying!. At minimum, they should be restrained to the motorbike forum. Or create a new 'For Sale / Wanted' sub-forum somewhere where they can sell the bikes, and SBE can sell her old guidebooks. (Speaking of that, I've got a few too!).

Problem is (I would imagine) - that if you charge for it, they will just slip it back into the mainstream forum. Oh well - Somtam will come up with a solution I guess!

#81 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 06:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And.. while I'm on a mini-rant, I would lump the 'Companions' forum into that category, too!It would be nice to keep them off the main page too so that the main list of threads relates to those dedicating to sharing travel-related info.

#82 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 07:06

• XxSMIL3xX

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

its really hard to get in the last page.can you please fix it?

#83 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 04:32

• Suturn

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Total reviews: 8

IP of the computer INSERT INTO tfish_user_sight_comments (locationID,userID,cTitle,cBody,rating,edited,deleted,commentPosted,ip) VALUES ('609','69765',
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/create99/public_html/sight_comment.php:24) in/home/create99/public_html/sight_comment.php on line 121

This is the error it gives me everytime I try to add a review on Travelfish.
    Is it possible to fix it??

Besides, I think it would be nice to add a Ethics section in the forum and link it directly on the main page. I think Ethics is something separated from politics and I think there would be much to discuss, from giving money to child beggars to riding elephants and so. It would be really nice to see it in a caring community such as TF.

#84 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 02:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Suturn,

Thanks for pointing that out - fixed now.

Will think about the ethics one - thanks for the suggestion. :)

#85 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 21:09

• Suturn

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Total reviews: 8

Thank you Somtam.

Also when I copy paste from another website it reports [color RGB...] is there anyway to remove it??

#86 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 01:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Click on the HTML button just above the box where you are typing your post. This will show the html form - delete everything in square brackets.

Alternatively, type your post (or cut and paste) into a plain text editor (eg Wordpad) which loses the formatting, then cut and paste it into your TF post.

#87 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 02:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Re the often mentioned annoyance of being timed out when posting a message. I used to get a pop up saying I needed to be logged in to post a message.

Now I get this as well:

Warning: require(include_files/header_includes.php) url=http://www.travelfish.org/board/function.require]function.require[/url: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/create99/public_html/include_files/layout_functions.php on line 2285

Fatal error: require() url=http://www.travelfish.org/board/function.require]function.require[/url: Failed opening required 'include_files/header_includes.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:') in /home/create99/public_html/include_files/layout_functions.php on line 2285

Above all this incomprehensible gobbledygook it says I need to be logged in (in small print) even though I AM logged in according to what's written at the top of the page.

How come the main page keeps me logged in and the reply box doesn't? If I want to repost the message I have to log OUT first so that I can log in again.

When it says you're logged in at the top of the page it's natural to assume you can make a post....because you are logged in. You're allowed to spend as long as you like writing an answer providing you haven't logged yourself out and there's absolutely no warning when you've been timed out. You just lose everything the minute you hit the preview button. Your message doesn't get automatically saved so that you can post it once you've logged out and back in again. Even hotmail automatically saves messages, isn't there any way at all for TF to do it?

And can't someone write some instructions somewhere explaining how to circumvent known TF bugs/quirks rather than expecting newbies to discover them all by themselves and unnecessarily wasting their time? Why is there no mention of a time limit for posting replies somewhere on the answer box for example? Where does it say never hit the back button or a link while replying? (Because you'll lose your message if you do). Why doesn't it say to always save long detailed messages that have taken a long time to write BEFORE trying to "preview" them?

I think the assumption that nobody will ever need more than an hour to reply is a bit like Gates saying 640K of memory should be enough for anybody. As CaptainBob pointed out, many people multitask and have other things to attend to at the same time: phones ring, dinners burn, kids try and kill each other or set the house on fire. How many people read TF while at work? "Sorry boss that'll have to wait, I've got a TF deadline here!". And the more time and effort you spend on your reply, the more likely it'll all be a total waste of time....why bother?

I still don't understand why it's even necessary to have a time limit for replies anyway. Can't a spambot manage to cause total havoc if you give it an hour? If it's that slow then that means it can't attack more than 24 sites a day and the chance of it choosing this one out of millions is pretty slim!

#88 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 16:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi SBE,

OK, I've fixed that error - thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not quite sure why you're getting the logged in up top as normally, if you're not logged in, when you go to enter a reply, you should see something like this -- which should stop you from entering a message and then getting the error on the "preview" page (which I assume was what was throwing the error above).

The session time-out time is set to an hour, and that can be over-ridden in the Member Section by changing the option to remember you are logged in -- though I think you mentioned elsewhere that didn't work for you, but I wasn't able to recreate the problem.

We have a maximum logged in time because people use the site in a public internet cafe etc and may forget to logout when they are done -- this way it doesn't matter.

If you're writing a long reply that is going to take you longer than an hour, you've got two options - either write the answer elsewhere (in some other text program like Notepad) and copy it in when you're done; or, write it in TF and right click another link to open a page to keep you logged in (each time you open a page the hour timeout resets), Personally I use the first option as I find the text box on TF small to type in, but individual mileage will vary.

Cheers

#89 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 19:28

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

but I wasn't able to recreate the problem.

You obviously weren't trying very hard then Somtam... it's dead easy, even I can do it! ;-)

I checked my personal profile after what you'd said (and promptly lost everything I'd already written in the reply box of course...duh) and it looks like the always logged in function has been enabled. I can't remember when I enabled it but until now (?) it's had absolutely no effect on the time limit for posting, other than to shorten it perhaps. I know I was getting less than an hour because I did an experiment and hit the preview button exactly 59 minutes after logging in yesterday and the post was no longer there.

I've found another method of saving messages from oblivion BTW. Before previewing, right click mouse, select all and copy. Then hit the preview button. If you find you've been logged out, all you have to do is log in again and paste your message back into the reply box.

It's simpler to do and saves farting around with notepad and opening pages. I've learned that opening other pages when posting replies is best avoided because if you do anything that takes you to a different page (eg hit the back button or a link in an answer, check your profile or click on an ad) then you will lose everything in the reply box and have to start all over again.

#90 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 15:22

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS. I did another experiment today. Logged in, started writing the above reply and then wandered off for several hours. Came back and finished the post and then clicked preview (having taken the precaution of saving it first of course).

Of course, as soon as I hit the preview button, a page came up saying I'd been logged out. (See how easy it is to recreate problems?)

I'm glad to report that you successfully fixed the error message (it no longer appears) but I'd still like to know how long you're supposed to stay logged in when you select the "always logged in" option in your profile. My understanding of the word "always" is longer than a few hours!

#91 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 15:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE: I last logged in probably a month ago. I just woke up, opened the laptop, went to Travelfish, was still logged in from last night, read your message, typed in a reply...

#92 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 17:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

... and it went through fine :)

All I can think is you have settings on your laptop/browser to ditch cookies or something like that -- do you?

#93 Posted: 24/9/2012 - 17:59

• celineventu-
    ra

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

just passin by :)

#94 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 08:57

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Could be cookies... I do tend to clear the firefox cache every day because someone told me it was a good thing to do when I had another slight technical problem once.

Will do some more experiments.... :-)

#95 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 10:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Not cookies. The log in box remembers my user name when I have to log in again so it must be keeping cookies.

I reckon you can stay logged in because you have special admin privileges!

#96 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 03:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Nah.... I stay logged in too - both both my home computer and the work one. Wonder if it's a Firefox thing - that bloody always seems to give you grief!

#97 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 04:15

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

noticed my thumbnail and other people's don't show up anymore, just a ?

#98 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 10:11

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Why can't I send a PM? I get a message saying PMs not enabled.
    Sorry if it's somewhere, but I can't see it.

#99 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 04:09

• thaibeachlo-
    vers

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2006

Hold the phone! I just found out how to PM.

#100 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 04:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just for anyone else wondering, Private Messaging is disabled by default. You need to enable it both to send and/or receive private messaging. You can do this by:

a) Login to Travelfish
    b) Click on Member Centre (link top right of the page)
    c) Select Profile, then Edit profile, from the navigation on the left on the Member centre page
    d) Under "Settings" change Messaging from "disabled (default)" to "enabled"
    e) Save.

You should be in business, but if you're not, let me know!

Cheers

#101 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 21:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New site bugs and what not ... By somtam2000 on 19 Jan 2009 23 4060 27 Jul 2011