About us forum

Strewth

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Stone the crows Stewy!
    I just spent the best part of an hour typing in a report on Kapas Island, but the Travelfish automatic log-out meant that when I tried to post it, I lost it all.
    How 'bout you extend the auto-log out so that long winded slow typing bastards like me get enough time to do the job? Or develop an auto-save function.

#1 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 17:42

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Agreed! I am a long-winded slow typing bastard and I have been there more than once as well! :)

#2 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 07:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Fair dinkum, mate! And don't 'em get away with the idea that you can write it somewhere else and cut and paste back into here when you've finished. When you do that, your formatting goes out the window - the end-of-line breaks are removed and the words jam together.

It's enough to make you want to spit the dummy or go walkabout :-)

#3 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 08:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Session time is currently set at an hour. If you're worried about being logged out right click some link before you post to open another window to reset the session (the hour resets to zero each time you click on a link) as that will give you another hour. Or do what I do, type long posts in word or notepad etc and cut and paste in when you've finished it.

Apols for the inconvenience, but am not lengthening the session time beyond an hour.

@busylizzy you need to do the formatting in this text box. Just don';t format the text!

#4 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 08:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

What I was meaning is if I just type the text in a Word document then cut and paste into TF, the end-of-line markers (or whatever they are) seem to disappear, meaning the spaces are missing between words (ie between last word of line 1 and first word of line 2 in my word doc).

Sorry, I didn't mean formatting per se....which I wouldn't expect to come through from Word.

Luckily for me (and everyone!), I'm trying to keep my posts a bit shorter so it's not much of an issue. Just thought I'd mention it...

#5 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 08:59

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'd do all that if I were organised Stew. That'll be the day.

#6 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 19:51

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I don't bother with Word because I've noticed it doesn't work too. (A propos why do some posts have lots of code in them? Is it because they've pasted it from Word or something?)

Anyway, I've cleverly learned to right click on the mouse, select all and copy, before hitting the preview button. If I've been timed out I can just log in and paste my post and it comes out normal.

#7 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 05:18

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi SBE - the code that you see in some posts is probably because they have C&P'dfrom another post or website. I suspect in many cases the poster is posting the same question in multiple forums... and when they cut and paste into TF, it brings through the formatting codes which the TF site doesn't recognise.

It also happens when I cut and paste from another post made in TF that I want to quote- I have to go and remove the HTML text. If you click on the HTML button is shows all the codes that the text contains. You can delete out all the rubbish, preview then save the post. (You may already know that.. but others probably don't!)

#8 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 08:00

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It also happens when I cut and paste from another post made in TF that I want to quote- I have to go and remove the HTML text. If you click on the HTML button is shows all the codes that the text contains. You can delete out all the rubbish, preview then save the post. (You may already know that.. but others probably don't!)

I know nothing when it comes to IT (as you know already!) ;-)...but I don't have any problem with C&Ping other people's posts off the forum. Proof...I just C&Ped the above quote without doing anything except putting it into italics to distinguish it from what I'm writing.

Hmm. Maybe something to do with the browser you use? Just wildly guessing here and my IT guesses are usually wrong.

#9 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 19:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Maybe something to do with the browser you use?

Hmmm... you could be right - you use Firefox by memory whereas I use Chrome. I just C&P'd the text above as a test - and this is how it comes out without me editing it to tidy it up.

#10 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 03:22

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It's weird that the unwanted code seems to be for colour when there's no colour in the text.

#11 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 04:40

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

If you want to get rid of any formatting, or make sure there is none, just copy paste it into a .txt document first (presuming you use windows) then copy it out of that and into where ever. It's not as much of as hassle as it sounds honestly!

At least that is what I do.

#12 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 22:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The code garbage mentioned above is most common is stuff like Word and OpenOffice. You can't see it when you use those programs as it is hidden, but when you cut and paste it into here it will show. As chris suggests putting it through a text editor is one solution, another (for shorter messages) is just to type straight into the box.

No ideal solution sorry.

RGB 54,54,54 mentioned by Lizzy above is for a dark shade of grey - perhaps the default on her work processor.

#13 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 14:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

No, that's what happens when I do a direct C&P from a TF post. It's a Chrome thing I think, because DBE doesn't have that problem. Anyhow - sorry didn't mean to make it sound like a complaint. It's not a big deal - more just an observation!

#14 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 15:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.