Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Heya,

Just a quick note to let you all know we've opened the first part of something new we're doing -- Travelfish.org in other languages.

For now it is just a partial translation in French -- of the top level information for Thailand -- but we'll expand it over time.

Just thought it would be useful for native French speakers to read all this stuff in their own language -- and it has been lovingly translated to a a French speaker who has lived in Thailand a long, long time!

You can see the site here: http://fr.travelfish.org

Note there is a lag -- all the research is done in English and once online it is translated, so there will be some discrepancies, at least initially, while we get up to speed.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 22:58

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

nice. i mean "bon." i imagine that phasa deutsch might be next? will there be french and other language message boards and user reviews too, or is this just a means to provide the basic TF information to a wider audience?

#2 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 12:00

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Great for my fellow Quebecois friends in Canada -:)

#3 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 12:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a test to see how much interest there is. As you could probably imagine, the translation was a significant amount of work! We intend to keep forum etc English only for now, but a lot will depend on how much interest there is.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 13:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I haven't read it all but I had a quick look at the Ko Tao section to see if you'd finally updated the fact that Taa Tao Lagoon resort near Chalok Ban no longer exists and has merged with Freedom Beach resort to become a much bigger and more upmarket resort.

Nope! But I can't see any accommodation recommendations at all in the French version anyway. Was that a deliberate omission?

PS. There's a phrase in the introduction to Ko Tao which makes the general Ko Tao info seem rather dated.

une école de trapèze qui va s’ouvrir en 2009....

Translation ... a trapeze school which is going to open in 2009.

#5 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 18:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've just translated the top level introductory stuff at this stage - it's been a major undertaking to get this far!

Thanks for the heads up re the KT stuff.

/s

#6 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 21:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Meant to say, but for things like resorts closing down/changing/whatever, you can also add a note on the page for that resort/hotel and we'll see it then and knock it off (sometimes it will take a couple of weeks) but that's perhaps better than waiting for us to send someone to find out for ourselves :)

/s

#7 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 21:36

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Great!
    Hope we will see this site also in German, Russian and Japain very soon :)

p.s. A propos, the bottom line and navigation of the French part still in English :) ("Vous êtes ici >> Home >> Thaïlande")

#8 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 12:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Meant to say, but for things like resorts closing down/changing/whatever, you can also add a note on the page for that resort/hotel and we'll see it then and knock it off (sometimes it will take a couple of weeks) but that's perhaps better than waiting for us to send someone to find out for ourselves

Ah, that's how you're supposed to do it! I mentioned the changes to you in an email back in 2010 after I'd done my dive course but that didn't work..

I've mentioned it in a few posts too... eg #5 on this thread

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/14626_which-beach-on-ko-tao-during-rainy-season--

#9 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 14:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.