About us forum

surge protector

• 1sttimesea

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2011

Are surge protectors recommended in Southeast Asia for iPhone charging?

#1 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 21:13

• Advertisement

• IHateHulkHo-
    gan

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2011

this is kinda the same thing im wondering about,but im bringing my laptop instead. Im coming from The US and wondering if I should bring my big bulky surge protrector or if they make some sorta of travel surge protector

FYI,ill be visting Thailand and Cambodia

#2 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 02:28

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I was told that for things like phones and laptops an adapter was enough, hair dryers and irons are another story. That's what I used last time for my battery charger.

#3 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 02:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I wouldn't bother. It would be just one more thing to carry around, and I'm sure you will have enough stuff to lug around already!

#4 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 03:25

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

surge protectors are not really necessary. Yes you do get sometimes power surges but it's not that often and I assume that you're not "plugged-in" all the time.
    The transformers (that change voltage and amps) inside the chargers do provide protection from surges but at the cost of the transformer if a surge occurs. If the transformer/charger breaks you may have to buy a new one but that certainly beats buying a new laptop or iPhone.

If you need your appliance for work I would advice to bring a protector. Otherwise, I'd say just take the small risk and worst case scenario would be that you have to buy a new charger/adapter. Make sure you write down the specs of the chargers/transformers so it will be easier to shop around if you need to buy on.

#5 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 03:26

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I wouldn't bring a surge protector along. Surge protectors protect against spikes and transients caused by lightning strikes. Just avoid charging during a lightning storm and you can avoid many problems. Surge protectors usually do not protect against over and under voltages.

#6 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 06:37

• mullaleyi

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2014

What about Myanmar where power supply is often erratic? What kind of protection should I have? I would like to be able to charge my camery battery and plug in my netbook.

The surge protectors for travel I've seen mentioned elsewhere are for 120 volts only.

#7 Posted: 20/6/2014 - 10:49

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I've travelled in Burma and many months in places in Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, etc (accumulated over the last few years) where power supply is erratic but I've never had a problem with surges affecting my electronics. If there is an electrical/thunder storm, I tend to unplug them to be safe, but otherwise I've had no problems. If in doubt, bring one but it's never been an issue for me so far.

#8 Posted: 20/6/2014 - 16:46

• mullaleyi

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2014

Thanks.

#9 Posted: 20/6/2014 - 17:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.