About us forum
Any additional insight on Thai-Cambodian border crossings?
20th April, 2011
My boyfriend and I would like to cross over into Cambodia from Thailand's Surin province. I've listed our loose itinerary along w/ plenty of questions below - can anyone lend their insight?
Starting on/about Dec 10:
From Chiang Mai , take train to Ayutthaya (if it's not flooded); if it's flooded, take train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.
From Ayutthaya (or Bangkok), head east to Surin province (bus? train?) to cross down to the Cambodian border.
- Bus or train from Ayutthaya or Bangkok to Surin province? Company name/location of bus/train?
- Which border crossing would be best? O'Smach or Anglong Veng? I've seen a lot of documentation going from Cambodia to Thailand, but not as much info the other way around. And looks like the last update from TF re: Chong Jom/O'Smach border is from 2005 -
- Re: border crossing, what city in Surin province should we land in before crossing over to Cambodia? Looks like maybe Prasat would be best?
- I think we can buy Cambodian visas at the border for rougly $20 (plus $5-10 for the occasional "extra fee") - is this still so?
- We'd like to see Pol Pot's burial site in Anlong Veng - anyone know how much this tour would be roughly, and if it's easy to find someone to take us? Not sure how remote some of these border towns are, and they seem like they might be quite a bit less touristy - which is good in some ways, but bad in others as information is a bit sparse!
- From the border down to Siem Reap, looks like there will be a lot of taxi options...seems like the prices can vary wildly from $8 - $30 for a taxi/bus ride to Siem Reap. Anyone know what a fair price would be for this transport?
Goodness! Apologies for all the questions; we're at an internet cafe now and having trouble planning this next leg of our trip as we can't read Google maps - they're all in Thai and the gentleman running the place doesn't know how to change the setting on Google maps to English (and neither do we!).
Thank you very much for any and all information/insight you can impart to us newbies. We're definitely open to adventure, but as they say, knowledge is power...Thank you again, TF community.
#1 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 23:39
27th July, 2008
Location Global Village
Total reviews: 7
At least 215
I haven't entered Cambodia by either of those northern borders so can't give you any advice on that specific crossing although you are correct that a 1 month tourist visa should cost you $20. I don't know about accessibility from the Thai side but if you can cross directly to Anlong Veng I'd recommend it. I travelled round from Banteay Chhmar (Cambodia) which uses the same road as the one you'd join coming from O'Smach and it was an incredibly dusty (red dust) ride. Also there wasn't any public transport available, nor shared taxi's so it could end up more costly than you'd hoped for.
To give you a bit of info about Anlong Veng (I visited in February this year) : the town itself is a reasonable enough size to have a few guesthouses and restaurants that are used to seeing a handful of tourists a day. We stayed at the Monoram Guesthouse (nothing fancy but a decent (fan) room for about $7-8. Opposite it is a hospital where several moto's hang out - the English speaking ones will probably approach you. I can't remember but we paid somewhere between $5-10 each for 2 moto's. One of the guys spoke decent English and acted as a guide, the other just a driver. The only way to visit the "sights" is on the back of a moto as access in most places is by track only; you also need a guide as without one we wouldn't have found half the places.
There are regular buses from Anlong Veng to Siem Reap and it's only 2 hours on a good road. However if you did want to take a taxi around $25 sounds about right for a journey of that length.
#2 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 03:51
20th April, 2011
Wow, great info - thank you KirstyB! We really appreciate it.
Now we'll see what happens...!
#3 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 23:06
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|Various Border Crossings & 60 Day Thai Visa ...||1||1874||7 Feb 2012|
|Thai-Cambodian border ...||4||2165||20 Oct 2008|
|Will the Cham Yeam & Hat Lek thai/ cambodian border be open over Chinese New years???? ...||0||3704||4 Feb 2010|
|Bo Y border opened for international border crossings? ...||12||8532||1 Dec 2008|
|Border crossings ...||3||2049||6 Jan 2014|
|Border Crossings ...||0||2043||1 Apr 2010|
|Border crossings over Christmas ...||2||1724||1 Oct 2011|
|Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ...||8||3183||30 Nov 2011|
|border crossings n. vietnam - laos (tay trang or Nam Xoi) ...||2||5240||29 Jan 2008|
|Northern Laos into Thailand Border Crossings? ...||2||3221||28 Dec 2010|