About us forum

Any additional insight on Thai-Cambodian border crossings?

• damil1234

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to cross over into Cambodia from Thailand's Surin province. I've listed our loose itinerary along w/ plenty of questions below - can anyone lend their insight?

Starting on/about Dec 10:

From Chiang Mai , take train to Ayutthaya (if it's not flooded); if it's flooded, take train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

From Ayutthaya (or Bangkok), head east to Surin province (bus? train?) to cross down to the Cambodian border.

- Bus or train from Ayutthaya or Bangkok to Surin province? Company name/location of bus/train?

- Which border crossing would be best? O'Smach or Anglong Veng? I've seen a lot of documentation going from Cambodia to Thailand, but not as much info the other way around. And looks like the last update from TF re: Chong Jom/O'Smach border is from 2005 -

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-#tc

- Re: border crossing, what city in Surin province should we land in before crossing over to Cambodia? Looks like maybe Prasat would be best?

- I think we can buy Cambodian visas at the border for rougly $20 (plus $5-10 for the occasional "extra fee") - is this still so?

- We'd like to see Pol Pot's burial site in Anlong Veng - anyone know how much this tour would be roughly, and if it's easy to find someone to take us? Not sure how remote some of these border towns are, and they seem like they might be quite a bit less touristy - which is good in some ways, but bad in others as information is a bit sparse!

- From the border down to Siem Reap, looks like there will be a lot of taxi options...seems like the prices can vary wildly from $8 - $30 for a taxi/bus ride to Siem Reap. Anyone know what a fair price would be for this transport?

Goodness! Apologies for all the questions; we're at an internet cafe now and having trouble planning this next leg of our trip as we can't read Google maps - they're all in Thai and the gentleman running the place doesn't know how to change the setting on Google maps to English (and neither do we!).

Thank you very much for any and all information/insight you can impart to us newbies. We're definitely open to adventure, but as they say, knowledge is power...Thank you again, TF community. :)

#1 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 23:39

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

I haven't entered Cambodia by either of those northern borders so can't give you any advice on that specific crossing although you are correct that a 1 month tourist visa should cost you $20. I don't know about accessibility from the Thai side but if you can cross directly to Anlong Veng I'd recommend it. I travelled round from Banteay Chhmar (Cambodia) which uses the same road as the one you'd join coming from O'Smach and it was an incredibly dusty (red dust) ride. Also there wasn't any public transport available, nor shared taxi's so it could end up more costly than you'd hoped for.

To give you a bit of info about Anlong Veng (I visited in February this year) : the town itself is a reasonable enough size to have a few guesthouses and restaurants that are used to seeing a handful of tourists a day. We stayed at the Monoram Guesthouse (nothing fancy but a decent (fan) room for about $7-8. Opposite it is a hospital where several moto's hang out - the English speaking ones will probably approach you. I can't remember but we paid somewhere between $5-10 each for 2 moto's. One of the guys spoke decent English and acted as a guide, the other just a driver. The only way to visit the "sights" is on the back of a moto as access in most places is by track only; you also need a guide as without one we wouldn't have found half the places.

There are regular buses from Anlong Veng to Siem Reap and it's only 2 hours on a good road. However if you did want to take a taxi around $25 sounds about right for a journey of that length.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 03:51

• damil1234

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Wow, great info - thank you KirstyB! We really appreciate it.

Now we'll see what happens...!

#3 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 23:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Various Border Crossings & 60 Day Thai Visa ... By StephJayne165 on 7 Feb 2012 1 1577 7 Feb 2012
Thai-Cambodian border ... By alexlazarus on 17 Oct 2008 4 1930 20 Oct 2008
Will the Cham Yeam & Hat Lek thai/ cambodian border be open over Chinese New years???? ... By tessarichardson09 on 4 Feb 2010 0 3266 4 Feb 2010
Bo Y border opened for international border crossings? ... By millionilla on 11 Dec 2006 12 7948 1 Dec 2008
Border Crossings ... By allanlewis on 1 Apr 2010 0 1796 1 Apr 2010
Border crossings ... By ofer on 1 Jan 2014 3 601 6 Jan 2014
Border crossings over Christmas ... By onefatmonkey on 1 Oct 2011 2 1432 1 Oct 2011
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 0 2285 28 May 2011
overland border crossings - laos to cambodia - please help! ... By lizzyp83 on 20 Mar 2006 2 2404 21 Mar 2006
Border Crossings on Motorbikes....advice needed ... By moomin1802 on 28 May 2011 8 2868 30 Nov 2011