Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi all,

Have put together a (very rough) amp of some of the points of interest covered in Travelfish and interested to hear any suggestions/feedback. You'll see they are clustered and as you zoom in become apparent.

We're thinking, with a bit more work it could be an interesting/helpful planning tool.

It's still very rough around the edges, but you can see it here.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I picked Chiang Mai for a trial run and was able to zoom in all the way down to a street map that showed the location of Aroonrai.

I also noticed that most of the place names in Thailand and Laos are in Thai and Lao. Is that something you can switch to English and/or romanized script? Cheers.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No, unfortunately we're stuck with the placenames as they are baked in in local language.

Have worked around that by adding placemarkers (the green sunsetty style ones that say what the place is.

Good examples with lots of placemarkers are Vientiane, Ko Phi Phi, and Angkor/SiemReap.

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think you're on the right track, and I can see that this will be really helpful when planning. Especially do see what's in the vicinity of an area that I plan to be in.

As you click on a area that comes up in a blue outline, presumably this means there is another level of detail underneath. It would be good to see place names appear as you hover over each numbered area or outlined area. Drilling into Siem Reap doesn't give me a good indication of where anything is until you get to the lowest level of detail. And I had to know where Siem Reap was in the first place to be in a position to drill down! So I think it will be great because I have rough knowledge of most countries, but do wonder how newbies to the region will find it without having more interactive place names popping up.

Also, it would be good to include links to the appropriate section on this map on destination page and blog entry. Sometimes I read about an area of interest, but its's someties difficult to work out where it is.

Overall - it's a great concept worth pursuing further!

#4 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 01:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.