Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey all,

Just canvassing for opinions on posts that are thought likely to be fake. Generally I just delete them if I get them fast enough, but if a conversation follows before I see it (like the Sorya mall Phnom Penh thing which is almost certainly a fake) I'm a bit more cautious of deleting it. Just to be clear I'm not talking about advertorial/shilling which I just delete immediately regardless of commentary.

Basically I have three options - leave it, lock it, or delete it.

Thoughts?

#1 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 01:39

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The reason why I don't mind those posts staying sometimes is that the ensuing conversation can help educate others to not take what they read at face value, to note believe everything that the read and to evaluate what they're reading.

I don't see the point in locking when there is active discussion in place. Either delete the entire thread, or lock it after the conversation dies down. I would imagine the second one not being a great option however as it requires you to come back to it at some point - unlikely to happen.

In the Sorya mall example, by leaving it open for a short while would give the OP a chance to come back and provide more info if there was some truth to it. Deleting or locking it would prevent that from happening which might be a shame in some cases.

Contrary to that, thought, I do think the ones that are from first-time posters who rubbish a specific guesthouse or bus company should go. They obviously just want a rant about some injustice that they have been subjected to (?!) and don't give the opportunity for the offending guesthouse / bus company a right of reply. I loathe those particular posts.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 03:54

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree with lizzy.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 06:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think you're doing a good job maintaining the site with a diverse group of people. I wish you'd let Bruce back. I know he's a grumpy old codger, but I thought he brought unique perspective and the juice was worth the squeeze. But overall I think you do a good job. Dave adds good writing skills as well.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 08:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Dave adds good writing skills as well"

Agree with MadMac!

(Sorry, bad typos in my earlier post. Re-reading it, you'd think English was my second language!)

#5 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 12:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

They speak English on the north island?

I think lizzy sums it up pretty well too. If inflammatory posts like the Sorya Mall thread were routinely deleted, I doubt I'd even bother to respond, and if others felt the same, there likely wouldn't be much discussion anyway.

To me it is an issue of value added. Do posts like that add any value to the site? If yes, leave them. If no, delete them. If a poster like the Sorya Mall poster makes only inflammatory and unsubstantiated claims, then there is no value added and he should be deleted too. Best wishes.

#6 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 13:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.