admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Took a few goes but finally got it to display... :)

#2 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 00:19

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks somtam - I wasn't an active member for a couple of years while I was just stopping by for answers, but now it actually helps me get through my withdraw symptoms when I'm not traveling myself.

#3 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 02:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Interesting stuff. Thanks for all the effort that must have been involved.

#4 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 23:13

• narong

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2005
    Total reviews: 10

apart from a colorful square with the names of all the SE-Asian countries at the beginning of the page i find nothing but i long carpet-like column of grey to the bottom of the page and 3 comments. Clicking on the square's parts results in nothing....

.....ok, it seems i've been too unpatient....he data showed up after a loooooong while. Great stuff!Sorry for previous remark & thanks.

#5 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 01:19

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Yep, loads verrry slowly.

Now I'm here I may as well say something. As I've mentioned before, I like the blogs because they provide interesting snapshots of places you might want to go, things you might want to do etc. The 'core content' of the site like hotels, restaurants and transport is very hard to maintain effectively and probably not worth the bother.

I'm pretty much over forums (but remain addicted) because visas, border crossings, what to pack, where to go and for how long questions are plain dreary. Fortunately I can usually just walk on by those posts. Having said that, I'll always be indebted to class acts like Captain Bob and wanderingcat for really useful information. Because of those gems there will always be a place for the forum I guess, although TF forum looks like it's been fairly restrained over the last couple of years. So, I'd say feeling the pinch of the Facebook generation a bit.

Anyway, like caseyprich, they do help me get through the withdrawal symptoms!

#6 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 02:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@narong & @fondo, yes, very slow to load -- I made it with some plugin site and it does seem to take a while. Glad you like it though!

Re the "Facebook effect" yes, that is undeniable, particularly for forums that had substantial sections dedicated to "just shooting the breeze" I know of one travel forum that has lost around 70% of its traffic, primarily to FB, because many of their members primarily used it for chit chat with a bit of travel info thrown in. We've tried to keep it the other way around, but, as the chart indicates, participation has flattened somewhat.

Glad you're still finding the blogs of interest, we've got a great team of writers on board now (20 in total) and they're covering some really interesting stuff -- and the core content stuff is chugging along :)

Cheers

#7 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 02:47

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Maybe this is not an appropriate question, but I'd be interested to know how all this gets paid for. I assume the writers are on salary? Love that color wheel!

#8 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 11:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Daawgon,

Yes all the writers are paid and we have a strict no freebie policy. Of the writers, one is full time the other 19 are all freelancers who file once or twice a week depending on the destination, plus other destination research and so on. It's also a fulltime job for myself and my wife Samantha -- who edits everything you read on the site.

How do we pay for it? Eight years in, Travelfish is self-supporting with a typical revenue model for travel websites - advertising (like the Google ads, tour companies and, when we had them, AirAsia ads), affiliate commissions on stuff we recommend (and use ourselves) like travel insurance, hotel reservations with HostelWorld and Agoda, the iPhone apps and a few other minor bits and pieces.

To get it off the ground I borrowed a little money off my parents and for the first two/three years I worked two jobs and Sam worked fulltime as a journo -- I prefer it now, even if I don;t get to travel as much as I'd like :)

Glad you like the colour wheel :)

#9 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 19:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

what do I think, Chad? i think you're a spammer. the big question is if you are in Vietnam or not.

@ Somtam. this was fun. will you run the stats again for calendar year 2013? cheers.

#10 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 16:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Chad has been banished :-)

Yes may run again in early Jan - will see.

Cheers!

#11 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 18:36

• narong

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2005
    Total reviews: 10

"well-written, packed with hard-earned information, opinionated and up-to-date... "The Independent June 2013......and that's what makes Travelfish trustworthy and isn't that what matters most in these times over over-information..therefor,like many others we have just abandoned other travel sites in favour of TF. Still surprised by the freshness of your weekly newsletter, my travel section in my "favorites" have become a real library of deliciousness. Based in the region, i'm truly greatfull and delighted with this gem. Keep going guys!.....and thank you so much!!!

#12 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 20:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.