Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We received the following just now by email:

Tscherina Nora Janisch (22) from Switzerland is travelling in various countries since August. She entered Thailand in the beginning of December and hasn't been heard from since December 22, 2012.

phototh.jpg

She is travelling alone, staying mainly in Backpacker Lodges or Couchsurfing. Usually, she informs her family on a weekly basis.

Anyway to contact her (phone, e-mail, facebook, skype) has failed.

Have you seen her or do you know anything?

If so, please contact either Stephanie Kuhn at stephanie.kuhn @ member-ssth.ch or her mother directly at e.janisch @ bluewin.ch.

Please spread the word.

#1 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 04:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Follow up in European media is here (German only)

#2 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 05:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

somtam,

i get an Error 404: page not found message when i follow the link. is there any chance you or corinne can repost an updated link?

i can take a shot at translating it, but i'll bet MADMAC will do a better job than i could if he's available. regards.

#3 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 11:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Exacto
    This is a error message. Like English language error messages it explains that it couldn't take you to the link and what options you have available to you to find the link you want. The best advice from it was to try finding another link via search engine.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Funny I did a search in the in Germany and found nothing in the news. Strange.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

right. i hoped that somtam or the op might have a corrected link. i'd try to use a search engine to find the same or a similar article as you suggest, but unfortunately my crappy american high school-taught german isn't good enough for that. would you mind giving it a shot?

okay. i see that you already did. thanks for trying. regards.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My search was done wrong. But I redid it and get exactly one link from a Swiss site and it doesn't work - same problem exacto was having.

#7 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:06

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

It was working for me this afternoon. I had a look at the site around 3 PM CET. But there was only a short news about the girl missing. No details, nothing.

Dont even know if this is real. All news I googeled in the afternoon were linked either to the swiss newspaper or to this forum.

Not mentioned if the parents informed the police. If I remember right, the poor girl did not call their parents for about 2 or 3 weeks now. Well, she is backpacking. I remember that I once had no possibility for about 1 week to access internet and my parents and friends paniced too. In good old times parents were happy to get a picture post card once a month.

But there seems to be a Brit missing in Bangkok, which sounded more seriously, because he really disappeared with a strange message a day before. Never seen after and police is searching for him.

This storry sounds a little strange to me, no information, no police, no nothing

#8 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 13:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The link was working originally - not sure what has happened there. We've been in email contact with the woman who first contacted us over it and it all sounds legit - we asked for some information on where she had been/was planning to go as thought that may have helped jog people's memories -- nothing so far.

Google cache has a copy of the Swiss news story.

#9 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 16:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Okay, well even I could read the article in that link, and it only gave essentially the same information somtam included in the original post in this thread. Thanks.

I don't know. I remember in the old days when getting a message back home could be a difficult task, but I can't think of anywhere I've been lately in Thailand that didn't have fairly easy telephone or internet access. Since December 22 is a long time. No Christmas or New Year's greetings, for example...

#10 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 19:51

• Advertisement

• x_brain

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

ich habe soeben im FacebookForum der Chulalongkorn Universitaet diese nachricht ueber nora gesehen. Dass sie aus der Schweiz kommt und in Singapur war waren genau die Daten, die mir noch im kopf waren!Auch ihr bild habe ich wiedererkannt.
    wir (2m, 2w, davon 3 geschwister) waren ueber Weihnachten in Koh Tao. Am 23.12.2012 gegen Abend haben wir Nora an einem Pancake-stand getroffen (Had Sai Ree Beach).
    Sie hat uns angesprochen und erzaehlt, dass ihr Visum ausgelaufen war. (Ihre Freunde sind nach Chiang Mai gefahren)
    (Weil sie bei Einreise nach Thailand nur 15 Tage Visum genehmigt bekommen hat; beim Luftweg wären es 30 Tage)
    Deswegen wollte sie am noch am selben Abend los zu einem "Visa-Run" nach Birma.

Sie war etwas niedergeschlagen, dass sie ausgerechnet an Weihnachten den Visa-run durchführen muss und hat mehrmals gesagt, dass sie es nicht glauben kann, dass sie das mit dem Visum nicht gewusst hat.
    Wir haben ihr gut zugesprochen und gemeint, dass schon alles passen wird. Dann haben wir uns verabschiedet weil wir weiter zum Strand zum Essen wollten.

#11 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 20:00

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Brief simple translation/summary of the above in order to help. This is a good lead.

3 sisters met this woman on Ko Tao on the evening of december 23rd. Nora addressed them and spoke about her visa that would run out. Her friends had gone off to Chiang Mai. Upon entering Thailand she had only a 15 day visa and she told the sisters that she was going to do a visa run to Birma/Myanmar.
    She was a little down because she had to do this just before/during christmas and she told several times that she couldn't believe that she had overlooked that mistake of having only a 15 day visa.
    The sisters had a good chat with her and left in the believe that everything would be alright.

Now, it seems that this puts a good location on her and perhaps the Thailand experts here can tell which border crossing with Myanmar is closest to Ko Tao where she would make that attempt and the search can probably start by contacting authorities and check whether she has attempted to do the visa run there.

Good luck

#12 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 20:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the translation @eastwest - it makes a lot more sense than Google Translate!

From Ko Tao most tourists to a border run to the Burma crossing (as suggested above) so perhaps family could check with Thai immigration about stamp in/out.

Anyways, have passed this link back to the person who contacted us initially.

Thanks all.

#13 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 21:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hopefully she didn't cross into Burma and not return. Getting good information out of Burma might be trickier than if she's in Thailand. Still, three weeks is a while. You got to wonder what would keep her incommunicado for that length of time? Got sick and is in a hospital with no communications access? Seems unlikely.

#14 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 00:48

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-21027103 - another missing person in Thailand?

#15 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 05:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just an update, I just heard back from the person who contacted me initially -- the news story referenced above which disappeared was apparently in the family's local paper and was pulled at the families request.

Thanks again for the comments also many many comments on our Facebook story about this -- much appreciated all.

#16 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 06:21

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Just noticed this thread...

From Ko Tao the easiest place to leave and re-enter Thailand to get 15 more days would have to be Ranong . In that case she would have most likely gone over to Burma for an hour or two and then come back. It makes me think of little Ko Chang and Ko Phayam, which are accessible from Ranong. Those are remote islands with very little in the way of internet and phone service - very easy places to just forget the world. Of course, in that case she would have had to go back to Burma after the first 15 days were up to stay legal.

Still, might be worth checking with Thai immigration at Ranong and Burmese immigration on the other side, and then perhaps checking with resorts on Ko Chang Noi and Ko Phayam.

#17 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 05:33

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/AchtungVermisstWichtig

#18 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 06:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

This was posted yesterday in the facebook account. I can not verify it's veracity:

GOOD LUCK:
    She's alive and went on the Swiss embassy!!

#19 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 08:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks Mac have emailed them for confirmation & will post when I heard back.

Cheers

#20 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 09:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Somtam - not sure who you are following up with, but on the facebook page linked above, there is a post on 16 Jan: ".....Please mail factual information directly to me, her mother. My email address is e.janisch@bluewin.ch. Thank you for your support, mentally and count on your diligence regarding privacy protection. Lisa Janisch".

(This was before the post about her reporting to the embassy).

#21 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 15:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yeah I'm not dealing with the mother, was a friend of the family that first got in touch - so figure Mum has enough on plate without me contacting her as well. Just waiting to hear back.

#22 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 18:51

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Still a mystery... http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Edvantage/Story/A1Story20130119-396611.html - Where was she? How how do you explain the lack of contact?

P.S. having trouble with the link function.

#23 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 19:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There was a number of weird elements to this. In the facebook link there was a harping on "respecting privacy". I didn't get that, as I would not want privacy, I would want maximum coverage to get the word out as wide as possible. Then she (maybe) shows up at the Swiss embassy almost a month after nobody had heard a thing from her. Why the embassy. She obviously got into some sort of trouble... But hopefully she really did show up at the embassy and isn't dead. That's a plus as these kinds of missing persons stories usually don't end well. Like that kid missing in Laos...

#24 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:24

• cosicosa

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

As Madmac mentions: weird...
    I hope she really got in contact with the embassy and is out of troubles!

Let's keep fingers crossed

#25 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 03:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My thoughts on the whole privacy thing is that perhaps she is known to suffer some pyschological disorder - and perhaps without meds, she may have started reacting unpredictably. In that case, maybe the family didn't want that side of the story leaking out. It's one theory anyhow - but who knows? I guess the problem is that the less they tell you, the more people speculate.

#26 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 03:32

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

well, case closed.

Another "teenager" who forgot to call home in time.

Instead of putting my private life and pics on facebook and all around, I would have informed the police. I would go crazy if my parents would post my pictures in the whole universe :-)

So happy end in the end.

#27 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 05:32

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Meanwhile, maybe dozens/hundreds of solo female travellers and their worried parents were freaking out about their trip to Thailand and worried they may be abducted. maybe she did get into trouble, was raped, escaped - who knows. Making all these pleas on the internet and then not following up is strange. Posting these things has an impact on the travel community - there should be an explanation given.

#28 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 05:36

• benjamin4450

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2013

today the swiss embassy in bangkok will help her out from
    some case in jail at the east of thailand called
    (ranong province) it was the news on television,
    at least every one are happy.

#29 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 02:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, we've been contacted by a representative of the family who has confirmed she is alive. They've also asked that we delete this thread.

They say in part:

"We know where Tscherina is now, we haven't spoken to her in person, but we know she lives. Unfortunately, I can not tell you anything more until she is "safe and sound" in Switzerland, which might take a while. Her mother sais thank you as well, all your help ment a lot to her family."

Given that the main point of the thread was helping to find her and make sure she was alive, as that has been achieved, I'm going to lock off this thread and will delete it at the end of the month.

From what I understand (between what the family representative has said and reports in the Thai media), she was never abducted nor in any danger.

Given she is alive, I think the actual circumstances of why she didn't contact her family should remain a private matter between Tscherina, her family and the Thai authorities.

Thanks all

#30 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Missing Swiss National Detained in Ranong Prison ... By boxee on 23 Jan 2013 5 1853 23 Jan 2013
Middle-aged woman alone: Sore thumb? ... By karibou on 16 Feb 2013 27 3472 4 Jul 2013