Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi All,

With the many new destinations that have been added to the forum, over time, as they start to get comments (which may take months) the front page of the site, where the latest conversations are listed, may end up with a far wider ranging set of destinations appearing.

So, would people be interested in being able to "ignore" a section of the forum?

Say for example you wanted to ignore the Hong Kong discussion forum you'd just specify that in your Member Profile and any conversations from it would no longer appear on the front page of the site. It would still appear on the main forums page -- just not on the home page of the site. You'd be able to ignore any section you wanted, companions, Laos, whatever, and, should you change your mind down the track, you could "unignore it".

Of course, you'd need to be logged in for the ignoring to work...

Is this something that would appeal? It's a bit of work to set up, so if you're interested, speak now or forever hold your peace! :)

Other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 22:32

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I like the idea - I always skip the 'companion' posts and haven't any interest in the Philippines or Burma currently, so it would save my tired eyes. As long as it easy to turn back on once I decide to go visit Burma that is. On some sites I've found filters have been easy to turn on but difficult to turn off.

#2 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 00:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, I def agree it's a good idea - Casey covers off my thoughts on it.

I feel really bad for you with respect to the bad back, but man, it's been like Xmas on the forum!

#3 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 01:20

• denzil71

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

Certainly a good idea if it was done hand in hand with extending the lifetime of the 'leave me logged in part', which doesn't seem to be overly long at the moment.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 02:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@denzil71 - you should be automatically logged out after an hour of inactivity.

If you want to stay logged in, you'll see, in the Member Centre -> Member Profile a checkbox for "Remember Login" if you check that, you ***should*** remain logged in all the time.

I say SHOULD as it doesn't appear to work for everyone, and you'll see quite a few comments in the past regarding it -- but I've been unable to replicate it -- except using Safari. If you use Safari (on a Mac/iPhone or iPad) it won't remember your login once you close Safari -- I don't know why and it is on my bug-list.

Otherwise, if you don't use Safari but you find yourself getting logged out earlier, please let me know what browser and operating system you're using and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 03:51

• denzil71

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

ah, you seem to have precisely described the combination of things I was using :) I have switched over to chrome on my MBAir so I can synch up between machines now, so prob won't be a future problem - thanks.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 04:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No worries - Let me know how it goes. It's a fickle, frustrating problem that's been festering for some time!

#7 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 05:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i usually only scan posts on the home page too, so with the increase in forum traffic, it would be nice to have a way to keep posts in areas where i might comment on the home page longer. the only down side i see is that it will take longer to build up some of those new sections if the bulk of users opt out. for example, i don't normally read or comment on vietnam posts, but every once in awhile i do if the post is about something i've done before. plus, this means that when people post in the wrong category, which seems to happen often, they'll be s.o.l.

i suppose a short-term option might be to increase the number of posts on the home page to increase the amount of time they are up.

what's the scoop with your back anyway? are you feeling any better?

#8 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the comments exacto - as far as the back goes, I can walk now, but yet to be able to sit down without a lot of pain!

#9 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 17:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.