About us forum

How to delete private messages?

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Have scanned the page for any option to delete private messages but see none. Should I go drink some more coffee or what? Cheers.

#1 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 23:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There isn't an option. Leave it with me and will have it added in.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 00:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The private messaging system has just been updated -- apologies for the delay on this -- internet in Burma was, umm, difficult!

A couple of changes:

a) the layout has been changed a little to make it somewhat easier to read

b) You now have the ability to archive (not delete) any message you have sent or that you have received. Once a message is archived it will no longer appear on your screens -- but it will still appear in the recipient/senders screen, so from a browsing perspective, for you, it is by all accounts deleted -- but it isn't actually deleted from our records. Messages cannot be unarchived -- if you really need something unarchived, PM me and I'll do it manually.

A bit more explanation why we went with archiving rather than deleting
    It is not actually deleted because of the way we store the messages in the database. Each message is a single record that is shared between two members, so for example, if I message Captain_Bob saying "Hey man" then we have a single message that is shared between somtam2000 and Captain_Bob.

If we were to allow Somtam2000 to actually delete that message, then that would mean it would also vanish from Captain_Bob's received messages. That wouldn't matter if the message was just "Hey Dude", but if it was say train timetable information or contacts for a guesthouse or a person etc etc, which Captain_Bob might be keeping in the PM system for later use, then that wouldn't be so hot.

So, we decided to allow members to archive the messages rather than delete them to avoid situations like this where the recipient (or the sender) might not actually want the message deleted.

So if you archive a message it has no effect on how it appears for the recipient or sender -- it solely effects how it all appears to you.
    Hope that makes sense - if you have a question about it, let me know.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 03:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Private Messages ? ... By daawgon on 26 Jan 2012 2 1115 28 Jan 2012
Private messages - Please read ... By somtam2000 on 3 Oct 2013 0 399 3 Oct 2013