Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi all,

We've just added a new feature to the site that allows Travelfish members to select places they have visited in the region (that are covered on Travelfish) and then display them on a map. It's nothing too serious - just a bit of fun -- and from the map, other readers will be able to click through to read more about specific places, You can see my (incomplete) map here.

How does it work? Each location now has a new link above the main introduction text. You can see a sample here for Krabi:

beenthere1.jpg

All you need do is click on the link (you need to be logged in for it to work), and there you go, you've been to Krabi:

beenthere2.jpg

As we figured you'll not want to surf through all 600 odd places listed on Travelfish selecting them individually, we've added a new section to the Member Centre titled "Where have you been?"

beenthere3.jpg

If you want to see where you have been, click on "Places you have been":

beenthere4.jpg

If you've selected anywhere in error, just click on the red x to nuke it. Likewise if you want to select a bunch more places, click on the imaginatively named "Select more places":

beenthere5.jpg

Want to see it on a pretty map? Try "Your map"

beenthere6.jpg

And last but not least, if you click on one of the markers on the map, you'll get a pop-up with a pic and you can click through to read more about the destination.

beenthere7.jpg

That's it! We're still playing around with it so all suggestions welcome. If you don't select anywhere then the map will remain totally blank.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 01:56

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Nice one, It's always fun to have a look at the places you've been! filled it in already :)

#2 Posted: 2/7/2013 - 04:32

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

That is neat and doesn't take long to do either, I did mine as well.

http://www.travelfish.org/where-been/Geer1

Konglor should have its own page though, not everyone does the Thakek loop to see it.

Edit: Only problem is that now you have to make a way for people to easily see where you have been. Maybe add a link under their name or something? Only way I can find to currently do it is to look at my own and replace my name with someone else's and that is a pain and I would never think to do it.

#3 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 12:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a good point Geer1 - I'll get that added in.

Konglor is organised in that way cause the locations you can pick are a reflection of what is available on Travelfish, and because the Tha Khaekloop took in so many small towns we through it together into one larger section - not ideal I know.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 00:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Geer1 - better late than never, I've added in a link to anyone's destination page if they have selected at least one spot on the map. Should be easier to access now. Perhaps I should make a leaderboard to show the most travelled members ;-)

#5 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 22:02

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What is the rational behind specifying individual beaches on some islands but not others? I tried this thing out when was in the beta version stage but soon realized how time consuming it was going to be to click on every damned beach on every damned island I've ever been to in Thailand, never mind clicking on every town beach and village in all the other countries I've visited in SE Asia.

So I gave up after clicking on the first 6 places I'd visited on that list ... all of which were beaches on the tiny island of Ko Samet I think. I've just deleted those too because I don't want people assuming I'm an expert on Ko Samet after clicking on the new live link under my handle. Sorry I have no idea "Where the best beach/resort to stay on Samet" is nowadays because I was last there circa 2007 and the only thing that won't have changed since then is Samet's location on a map and general weather patterns.

What exactly is this new feature meant to be for? Is it supposed to be some kind of social bragging tool like FB? Is it to help Google and NSA keep tabs on everyone? Is it to help TF users figure out which posters are likely to be give the most useful information?

Only the latter is potentially useful to people looking for travel advice but unless there's some indication of when, how long, and how many visits, it's not much use for that either.

There's no way of distinguishing whether a click on one of these locations means someone just spent a few hours there or stayed for several days or weeks and knows the place quite well. I've been to Singapore but spent the entire time in Changi airport transit lounge. Nothing to stop me clicking on Singapore as a place I've been to without lying if I saw this as some kind of pissing contest.

Anyway, I know you've probably spent thousands and thousands of hours working on this clever map thing but I still don't get what the point of it is exactly. Maybe change the instructions to "click on places you've been to and think you can offer useful advice about" but that would involve people having to keep updating their maps as their info became outdated ... how many posters on TF bother to keep their profiles updated.

PS. I tried to delete everything on my map but can't get rid of Ao Cho and Ao Kui Na Nok...presumably because they're no longer places you can tick on the updated list.

#6 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 22:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi SBE,

We break up some areas that have too many places to list in a single page, for eg Bangkok, Phuket, Ko Samui , Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao are all broken out either into individual beaches or chunks of the island as otherwise, if for eg we had just one section for Ko Samui then the accommodation page would need to list all the places we choose to list on the island, which we think isn't all that useful. It's not an ideal solution and where possible we keep em in one section.

Each one has a "parent" section, so for the eg of Ko Samet there is a main Ko Samet page you can click on to effectively say you've been to the island.

What is it for?
    Not sure yet. We may use the information down the track to suggest how many readers have "been" to a place, but for now it's just a means to mark where you have been. It is optional! :-)

Thanks for pointing out the bug where you can't unclick from places we've turned off -- I'll get that fixed.

Cheers.

#7 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 05:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

While you're debugging could you fix the date on the review sections? Tried to review Hat Bang Beng today but the date thingy is still stuck in 2013.

#8 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 08:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ops fixed that - I did the others earlier but forgot that one.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.