Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi all,

Just want to ask people to work to keep conversations on topic. Here is an example of a thread that has veered right off topic (and which I have now locked).

Our full user guidelines are here.

Obviously I have FAR better things to do than go through threads deleting piles of irrelevant staff -- that's what you have Idle Banter for -- please keep it in there and out of the travel threads. So please keep the above request in mind when you're posting.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 17:40

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just bouncing this back up to the front page.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 18:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

that thread did wander, but it was a good thread.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 20:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

THe problem is, Mac, that when people want to lokp up info in the name of research, you have to waste time wading through dozens of posts that have no relevance to what you are looking for.

The wanderings can make an interesting discussion for the forum regulars, but it's highly frustrating when you are looking for useful info.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 22:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Liz
    I would say that the key info is almost always upfront. The topics don't start to drift until the questions have largely been answered. Maybe not always, but usually.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 12:11

• littlebird

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2014

Got to agree with Mac. The relevant info is always first then as folk do they drift into conversational mode. Where's the harm in that?
    Seeing as, like most guidebooks the information is rapidly dated. (Found this on many occasions) Hotels no longer exist, change name, price etc The real contributors to a site like this are the people who kindly give their time with realtime information. Unpaid and now subject to an editorial policy.
    While I'm on the subject of contributors- the paid variety. Is this site aiming to go upmarket? I see a lot of references to boutique hotels in Phnom Penh . I get the impression most people want somewhere clean and safe. If you are travelling for months $90 a night seems a little excessive. I can stay in Phnom Penh in a hotel with cctv, cable tv,hot water, clean sheets and towels everyday for $7.Bangkok-a fine hotel with a/c on first class transport links for 500 baht
    Isn't that what the majority want?

#6 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 02:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Littlebird: It's not always the case actually. The reason I bumped this post back up was due to a recent post where a new poster asked something, and the next 20 posts, while interesting perhaps, were not answering what the OP asked. The harm in that, I guess, is someone comes to ask a question, asks it, and it doesn't get answered.

Yes you're correct in part in saying contributions to this site are unpaid (via the messageboard, reviews etc) but there's also a team of 15 or so paid writers -- some of whom are regulars to this forum -- they're real too. It's a mix.

If you look at our PhnomPenh listings you'll see the vast majority are well below $90 -- at a quick skim most are below $35 actually. The Kampot update we just finished featured a bunch of places for under $10. But we do have a pricier spot on the front page at the moment - perhaps that was what caught your attention. Front page featured spot varies -- just whatever tickles our fancy.

The majority? Well, it varies - pick and choose as it suits you.

#7 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 04:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.