admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a quick heads up that we're in the process of a big reworking of our weather section, and now all the sections are topped with a map up top that you can click on to see when the best time is to go somewhere and be given links for more information and so on.

You can see the main Thailand page here.

We've only marked a few points so far, but the plan is to add more as I have the time to write them. Any suggestions (and corrections please!!) much appreciated.

You'll also see that we have climate month by month for Thailand, but not yet for the others -- it is on the way. Nothing for Indonesia at all at the moment as, well, the weather there is complicated!

Anyway, and thoughts much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry should have added, here are the weather pages for the other countries:

Laos
    Malaysia
    Singapore
    Vietnam

:-)

#2 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 08:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Nothing for Indonesia at all at the moment as, well, the weather there is complicated!

Good. I'm glad seeing wet wet wet in Flores/Komodo in November is just a hallucination on my part.

You do seem to have completely forgotten the Philippines however. I'm pretty sure they have weather stations there too. Even Burma might have some.

I think the original weather map is brilliant. Love the way you just click on a place and get weather graphs without having to scroll down or go to another page. I personally find it harder to get the same amount of information as quickly on the new one. The new map uses a variety of language to describe the same kind of weather in not much detail whereas with a graph you see monthly stats at a glance. The new map isn't really a weather map in fact, it's more of a "when is the best time to go" map. Could we possibly have both or would that take until the 22nd century to do? Both "when to go" and weather are very very common questions but they aren't exactly the same thing. The "when to go" is also when peak/low/shoulder season is, whether there are any special local events on, variations in air quality (eg smoke in CM, smog in BKK), best time to go surfing or see whale sharks etc. AFAIK nobody's managed to work out how you did your weather map and copy the idea. So they probably wouldn't be able to work out how to copy a "when's the best time to go" map either. (But get a patent on it anyway and remember I suggested the idea first if you become a multi billionaire) ;-)

Will there be arrows up/down/left/right in the final version? You have to scroll out to see places off the screen at the moment.

PS. If you click on the map while you're replying you lose your reply. Same thing happens if you click on any link when you're replying. Same thing happens if you look at another page while you're replying or hit the back button. Is there any chance of you fixing this bug which has been plaguing the forum ever since it started before I die of extreme old age. It's bad enough being timed out just because you wander off for a few beers while you're replying. And why does it say you're still logged on at the top of the page when you aren't (You can tell you aren't because you lose your post when you click on preview)

#3 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 18:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Morning SBE, this reply being transmitted from an early morning deckchair session in Bang Saphan :)

Thanks for the detailed points. in answer to your questions:

1) We don't cover the Philippines so that's not on the way - Burma
    2) the problem with the old map is it doesn't work at all on most "smartish" phones. Nobody copies it probably because it was a PITA to make in the first place!

3) climate charts are coming (see Thailabd by month for an example, tho they are the old style charts) but we're not planning on overlaying them onto the map.

4) the chart is supposed to indicate both weather and other considerations - the Luang Prabang pop up mentions smoke for eg, Bangkok floods etc - we do intend to add more - I just wanted some feedback along the way (which you're giving - thanks!)

5) you can drag the map or zoom out (top right)

6) re the losing the reply when clicking on something the map - I don't understand what you mean - they're on different pages.

Thanks

#4 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 18:53

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Somtam. I can't comment on the weather section, but it's great to see you've sorted out the page scroll down to the last post bit. On that subject i noticed an area that may benefit from some manipulation. The posts in general take up a lot of pagespace because of the layout which consumes rather too much space. Take for example this one, it leaves a lot of free space: If it was possible to compact them down, you'd be able to see some of the previous posts as well to refer with the last post, like you can on most other forums,etc.

Also the preview before posting is a bit of a chore, and when that post is posted it doesn't scroll down (slight niggle)

Keep up the great work!

Kind regards.

#5 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 07:40

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Somtam,

Seems like months since you last posted from the office! Hard life eh.

1. Bummer, I'm far more confused about the weather in the Philippines than the weather in Thailand.

2. Are you chucking the old map out? Would be a shame to throw all that hard work away and some people still use ordinary computers. Some people don't even own a smart phone (me for example). I suggest you throw the annoying bugs away instead.

3. I saw the Thailand graph sample. It's a pain to scroll down to it on a netbook but maybe on a touch screen it isn't. Liked the one click thing much better as you may have gathered by now. Why aren't you overlaying the graphs? How about embedding a link to the graph then or would that be a mess.

4. Yes I noticed it wasn't just weather. I fixated on the old Thai weather map a bit because the title of this thread says "We have redone the weather section" and the new thing is an interactive map too. Sound like it should indeed be called a "when is the best time to go?" section rather than a weather section if you're going to add even more non weather stuff.

5. Ah. Yes I see now. Cool! Sorry was looking for a google map style button, this is better. (And it works even on a ubuntu netbook)

6. Sorry I badly expressed myself. I meant I wanted to check something on the map while I was doing my reply so reclicked on the link. Duh. Should be used to your quirks and bugs by now but I still get caught out and lose stuff. That was the second time I lost my reply on this thread last night. Before that I got timed out after checking that I was still logged in at the top of the page. Being logged in doesn't mean you don't get timed out in the answer box and there's no way of knowing you've been timed out until you hit preview. Who sets a stopwatch when they start writing a post. Maybe you could put a red warning light in the answer box or something. Or allow posts for as long as you're logged in like every other forum I've ever used does... remind me again why you do it?

#6 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 19:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Heya,

1) I'm flat out understanding Indonesia's :-)

2) No, no plans to remove that map -- it's very popular, but there's no point expanding the use of a technology that won't work for about 30% of our readers.

3) There is so much weather / when to go information coming, that some scrolling will be inevitable. We'll improve the layout a bit as it is still a bit of a work in progress, but it just isn't practical to try to present everything without scrolling.

4) Broad strokes here, but "When is the best time to go"and weather queries tend to be quite closely related. Sure other stuff plays a part (festivals/surf or diving conditions etc) but weather tends to be people's first concern -- "will it be rainy?" So we're trying to address both.

5) Thanks :)

6) If you have entered half a reply, then click to go to another page, in most cases yes, you'll lose the reply. Easiest approach is to right click the link to open it in a new tab/browser window and jump back and forward -- then you won't lose your comment.

Re the timeout, I'll try to add something in in the coming week -- sort of like the Airasia warning that your session is running out. At the moment the timeout is an hour, which is pretty standard.

@Snookieboi
    1) Yup know what you mean about the spacing -- will take a look.

2) Re the preview screen, that was added in after about two years of TF members berating me for not having it -- they'd be a riot if I removed it ;-) That's a good point re scrolling down though - noted.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 17:28

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

1. And I'm still trying to understand why your map says "November and December can be especially wet and miserable" in Flores and Komodo.

Where do you get your weather stats from? I agree about December but why do you say November is particularly bad?

This site has a graph showing that December, January, February March and April have higher rainfall than November in Labuan Bajo. (You have to scroll down past average temperature graph to see the average precipitation graph)

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/v2/weather-averages.aspx?q=LBJ

7. Forgot to ask whether this new map will work with all smartphones and tablets? I seem to recall people saying the TF guide apps weren't designed for android a while back? (I presume an interactive map is an app... my grasp of what "app" means is very limited so I'm just guessing )

#8 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 05:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Nov Dec - from dive shop interviews we did in Labuan Bajo + discussions with staff at Kanawa. We've not been there at that time so just taking them at their word. We were there in April and it was dry as a bell.

Also for weather data, here's a completely different set of figures - which should help to explain why I'm still nutting out the Indonesia climate brief ;-)

7) the new maps should work on any modern smartphone -- that's the theory anyway as I only have one :-)

#9 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 08:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.