Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Daypack - what to use?

Posted by karynelder on 6/8/2007 at 18:00

Hello -
My husband and I are traveling through SE Asia for six months soon. We are each taking a 40-45L rucksack, but are struggling with what to use for a day bag. Is it a better idea to use a small backpack, or a messenger-style shoulder bag? We would like to try to optimize safety/security, but minimize the whole western tourist thing at the same time! Any tips/suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thank you!

#1 karynelder has been a member since 27/5/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by princessdisaster on 7/8/2007 at 10:41

I favour the messenger-style shoulder bag, its easer to carry with your rucksack, mine is quite small and fits more in it than people think.

#2 princessdisaster has been a member since 30/11/2006. Posts: 36

Posted by jobieblank on 8/8/2007 at 18:31

I have an Eagle Creek pack that has a smaller backpack that zips onto my big pack so I can leave my big pack behind and have a day bag. It has been the most comfortable and convenient system I've used. As far as not looking like a western tourist you will have to both look local and dress locally to get away from that.

Messenger bags can cause sore shoulders due to the unbalanced weight. I found I was always shifting mine and stopped using it once I got the Eagle Creek.

#3 jobieblank has been a member since 18/3/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by marianwarren on 10/8/2007 at 15:46

Hi Karyn

I traveled with a pack with the zip off day-packs but quickly ditched the day pack in favour of a smallish handbag which held purse, camera, passport, pen and notepad, my reading glasses - I travel pretty lightly even when at home - and just bought water when I needed it. You can buy water bottle holders really cheaply and they are a lot more comfortable to wear, than having a day pack which makes your back sweaty all day and encourages you to cart around more stuff than you need.

Regards

Marian

#4 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.