About us forum

Daypack - what to use?

• karynelder

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2007

Hello -
    My husband and I are traveling through SE Asia for six months soon. We are each taking a 40-45L rucksack, but are struggling with what to use for a day bag. Is it a better idea to use a small backpack, or a messenger-style shoulder bag? We would like to try to optimize safety/security, but minimize the whole western tourist thing at the same time! Any tips/suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 6/8/2007 - 18:00

• Advertisement

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

I favour the messenger-style shoulder bag, its easer to carry with your rucksack, mine is quite small and fits more in it than people think.

#2 Posted: 7/8/2007 - 10:41

• jobieblank

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2007

I have an Eagle Creek pack that has a smaller backpack that zips onto my big pack so I can leave my big pack behind and have a day bag. It has been the most comfortable and convenient system I've used. As far as not looking like a western tourist you will have to both look local and dress locally to get away from that.

Messenger bags can cause sore shoulders due to the unbalanced weight. I found I was always shifting mine and stopped using it once I got the Eagle Creek.

#3 Posted: 8/8/2007 - 18:31

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Karyn

I traveled with a pack with the zip off day-packs but quickly ditched the day pack in favour of a smallish handbag which held purse, camera, passport, pen and notepad, my reading glasses - I travel pretty lightly even when at home - and just bought water when I needed it. You can buy water bottle holders really cheaply and they are a lot more comfortable to wear, than having a day pack which makes your back sweaty all day and encourages you to cart around more stuff than you need.

Regards

Marian

#4 Posted: 10/8/2007 - 15:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.