About us forum

Whinge

• RobertLittle

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Why is all the text on this site doublespaced?

It makes it a pain in the arse to read.

So I will doublespace everything that I type here

just to get my point through.

While I am whinging away. I can't say I really like the organisational structure of the information you have on the site. It isn't the easiest to navigate.

But I have to say some of your information is very good and the design is very nice. Much nicer than my shitty looking site.

A lot of work has been done here and I hope you peoples like constructive criticism. The double spacing problem is annoying.

Cheers,
    Robert Little

#1 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 08:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the note, except the text isn't double spaced -- or at least not in any of the browsers I'm looking at it in.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 08:39

• RobertLittle

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

I think you might be right it isn't doublespaced but something just doesn't seem quite right.

If I compare;
    http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos
    side by side with
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/asia/china

The Lonelyplanet stuff is easier to read, better laid out.

Maybe its the width of the columns or the font (or both). It looks nice and the content is good, but its just difficult to read through. I see a pretty good site but I just feel the layout is off. It seems a shame all this work has been done but is being ignored as it looks bad.

You also have too much fill space around things which means I have to scroll around a lot to see things.

I looked in Firefox and IE and they both have the same layout.

I recommend you look at
    http://www.useit.com/

I am happy to provide more feedback on how I see your site. I just get the feeling that you are not keeping as many visitors as you could due to the layout.

Send me an email if you want me to really want me to critique it.

#3 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 09:06

• Kip

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2007

The line height is just larger on Travelfish than on LP. Personally, I prefer it that way. It's like how in US schools I was expected to turn in all essays double-spaced. It really does make it easier for teachers/professors, and I only realised that when I moved to the UK and saw my step-kids handing everything in single-spaced. Tis headache inducing. Give me wider spacing any day :)

Kip

#4 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 15:40

• Discombobul-
    ated

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2007

Spacists!!!!!!

#5 Posted: 21/9/2007 - 08:32

• Discombobul-
    ated

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2007

Spacists!!!!!!

#6 Posted: 21/9/2007 - 08:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.