Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Whinge

Posted by RobertLittle on 12/9/2007 at 08:13

Why is all the text on this site doublespaced?

It makes it a pain in the arse to read.

So I will doublespace everything that I type here

just to get my point through.

While I am whinging away. I can't say I really like the organisational structure of the information you have on the site. It isn't the easiest to navigate.

But I have to say some of your information is very good and the design is very nice. Much nicer than my shitty looking site.

A lot of work has been done here and I hope you peoples like constructive criticism. The double spacing problem is annoying.

Cheers,
Robert Little

#1 RobertLittle has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2007 at 08:39 admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the note, except the text isn't double spaced -- or at least not in any of the browsers I'm looking at it in.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by RobertLittle on 12/9/2007 at 09:06

I think you might be right it isn't doublespaced but something just doesn't seem quite right.

If I compare;
http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos
side by side with
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/asia/china

The Lonelyplanet stuff is easier to read, better laid out.

Maybe its the width of the columns or the font (or both). It looks nice and the content is good, but its just difficult to read through. I see a pretty good site but I just feel the layout is off. It seems a shame all this work has been done but is being ignored as it looks bad.

You also have too much fill space around things which means I have to scroll around a lot to see things.

I looked in Firefox and IE and they both have the same layout.

I recommend you look at
http://www.useit.com/

I am happy to provide more feedback on how I see your site. I just get the feeling that you are not keeping as many visitors as you could due to the layout.

Send me an email if you want me to really want me to critique it.

#3 RobertLittle has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by Kip on 12/9/2007 at 15:40

The line height is just larger on Travelfish than on LP. Personally, I prefer it that way. It's like how in US schools I was expected to turn in all essays double-spaced. It really does make it easier for teachers/professors, and I only realised that when I moved to the UK and saw my step-kids handing everything in single-spaced. Tis headache inducing. Give me wider spacing any day :)

Kip

#4 Kip has been a member since 6/7/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by Discombobulated on 21/9/2007 at 08:32

Spacists!!!!!!

#5 Discombobulated has been a member since 16/6/2007. Posts: 9

Posted by Discombobulated on 21/9/2007 at 08:39

Spacists!!!!!!

#6 Discombobulated has been a member since 16/6/2007. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.