admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Am just starting this new thread for any bug reports on the new site.

If you come across anything odd on the site -- missing pages, strange formatting, broken images etc, please let me know with a post in this thread.

It's useful if you post the url as well of the page you saw the problem on.

Many thanks in advance & apols for any inconvenience.

#1 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 06:47

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

okay, i think i may have found one. i was logged into the member center. love the listing of forum threads to which i've recently contributed by the way. on that topic, i think i just passed from somtam seller to under-employed. should i be concerned?

anyway, under the "my comments" area is a listing of the 15 or so hotel reviews i made during the last trip. the info says that i can edit those reviews by clicking on the name of the property. but when i click, nothing happens and i get the "error on page" message in the lower left corner.

hope that is useful for you. cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 10:44

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Not sure if its a bug or you just haven't put it up yet....

But I can't find the bus timetables for getting to/from Chiang Mai.

I was snooping around trying to find info on getting to Soppong from Chiang Mai. Didn't really find what I needed in the Soppong section.

Any concrete info on getting to Soppong from Chaing Mai? We're interested in an early morning departure.

Thanks.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 11:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Exacto -- if you think under-employed is bad, wait till you crack 1,000 ;-)

That was a bug on the pop-up for editing the reviews and it should be working now -- please let me know if you still have a problem with it.

amz155 -- not a bug, but some content has been taken down while it is reformatted -- if I recall the bus times you're talking about is a part of that. Give it a few days.

Re the bus info, I think there is an early bus (7ish?) from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son via Pai (which means it will pass through Soppong ). Trip time is around 5 hours.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 15:45

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Cool, A couple of things I have noticed that might be new or I think might of been like it anyway.

1. Is there a FEEDBACK section to the forum? Alot of sites have one and it's a good place for people to leave there feedback and ideas. I have wanted to leave a comment about something in the past and couldn't find a place to.

2. How do you check accomedation when your on a page like this - http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/ko_chang

I may be missing something but I have always found it difficult to find the section for hotels/guest houses. Is there a link on this page? I think there should be.

So far Im thinking the site is looking good (not the size of font) and it is better with the nav bar at the top with the countries.

I will report more findings soon.

:)

#5 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 03:29

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Told you im stupid!

Just found 'Search for accommodation' down the bottom. its abit general and would be good to have a link to accommedation for the page your looking at. But It is there none the less.

#6 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 03:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

okay, i've tried about five times now using two different computers and i still cannot access my previous comments for editing. i've even gone into my browser settings to allow pop-ups from Travelfish but still no luck. i continue to get the error on page message at the bottom left of my browser window.

i've also tried using the new BB code for this first time in this post as well. with any luck that is working too.

did i mention that i love being able to access my recent posts from the member section and the new animated thai weather map? thanks!

#7 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 10:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Exacto - I reckon I've got that fixed now, so please give it one more go!

Glad you're figuring out the BBcode -- I've got to write a short "How to" on that -- it's on my list of things to do.

Glad to hear you like the other features -- if you've any suggestions, please send them my way.

Jon_Mak_Mak - yes feedback - good idea -- I'll get a new section to the forum added for that.

Re your question about accommodation, it's a little complicated, but Ko Chang is a good example to use, so i'll try and explain it. For any of the big islands, ie., those with multiple beaches and stacks of guesthouses, we broke them up into a series of sub sections -- so KC has Bang Bao, Kai Bae etc and the accommodation is then listed under each sspecific beach -- you'll only see accommodation for Kai Bae listed in the KB section and so on. This is also how we treat Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao, Ko Samet, Phuket and Bangkok -- ie., places that have absolute bucketloads of places to stay at.

On the old version of the site, the downside of this was there was no way for people to get a single list of ALL the places on Ko Chang, but, with the new site, as you discovered, there's the search box that will give you all the places on a particular island (note it defaults to displaying only places that can be booked online -- if you want to see ALL ALL the places on an island, uncheck that box.

It's an unperfect solution, but if you've got any suggestions on how you think this could work better, let me know.

#8 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 13:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

okay somtam, the edit feature appears to be working now and i even edited one of my previous comments just to be sure. thanks.

as far as BB Code goes, i just did a web search and found a couple of websites that listed the basics. it's kind of awesome fun and hopefully not too terribly difficult. ta.

#9 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 23:05

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

when you minimise the browser the ads are all over the place .. they come in from the left and obscure the text - i guess this the frames at the side containing the banners? ... but that's just a guess

also when you do this the right hand side is blank ... a nice tfish brown (or is it green!) by the looks of it... like the page is optimised for a certain browser size maybe?

this is using firefox if that makes any diff

#10 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 23:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Glad to here it is working for you now exacto - thanks for pointing out the prob.

Chrispy, yes if one starts resizing the screen I'd imagine the ads will start causing havoc. The site was designed for screen resolution of 1024x768 and above (this covers around 95% of Travelfish readers), but with a maximised screen window, so if you resize it to say half the width of your screen you will have some odd results unfortunately.

#11 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 04:38

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Ok Cool, I get the hotel listing now. I think that works fine too.

Thanks,
    Ant.

#12 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 06:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Somtam,

I've noticed that when I follow a link on Travelfish, it jumps immediately to the new website rather than opening a new window or a new browser. I imagine that's a choice that you've made, and I suspect that it has to do with most folks security/pop-up blocker settings. Even so, usually I prefer to have a new browser window open so I don't have to backtrack to get to where I left off in Travelfish. Any ideas about that? Regards.

#13 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 11:49

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

ADD YOUR REPLY.

Not sure how many people this has caught-out yet but, When you go to 'add your reply' in this grey box, you type out your whole message and then you need to actually 'log-in' to send it. So you log-in and your message that you typed is GONE!

I do this everytime I first come on travelfish becuase I get excited about a post and just go straight to add my reply and after I type the message I realise I have to log-in. So, I **COPY TEXT** (only becuase I know It will be gone) and then after I log-in I have to find the page I was on again and ***PAST TEXT**.

So, I have my work-around but I could see it catching a few people out and its quite frustrating and long.

I think it might be better to not let you add text until your logged-in or like have the grey box so people can see you can reply but dont let the text be added and maybe say 'Register or log-in to add a reply - it's free!', or, after log-in go straight back to your reply with your text still there in the box.

#14 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 19:33

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Also, How do you edit posts? I can't seem to see an edit button.

Thanks.
    Ant.

#15 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 19:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Jon_Mak_Mak - your wish is my command.

You should now see that you can't post a comment without being logged in.

As for editing posts, the reason you don't see an edit button is because there isn't one. We've enabled editing of guesthouse reviews, but, at least for the moment we're not adding in editing of forum posts.

Cheers

#16 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 21:22

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

while surfing through accommodation listings for nan province, i noticed that the text withing the listing for amazing guest house had a formatting problem and stretched down the right-hand margin of the page. don't know if this is specific to just this one listing or not. first time i'd seen this issue. not a huge problem but probably worth a look/fix. cheers.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/northern_thailand/nan/nan/all/486

#17 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 22:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi exacto,

that bug is fixed now (I think) - not sure what was causing it but i was able to recreate it and now it's gone -- at least for me! The cross-browser stuff (ie making sure the site looks the same regardless of operating system and browser) is a full time job in itself!

#18 Posted: 26/1/2009 - 21:48

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Yes Somtam! Thats much easier. Thanks mate. :)

#19 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 19:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

somtam,

i actually do have a job, by the way.

anyway, it seems that not all of the reviews on various guest houses can be read. several times when i've tried to expand the user-written review on a guest house, the "read full review" link is suppressed. this is usually just for the one or two most recent reviews.

two examples i can offer are the PU Guesthouse in Ayutthaya (i really wanted to read the grumpy owner's rebuttal!) and the PS Guesthouse on suhkhumvit soi 8.

on the PS Guesthouse, it also seemed like the three most recent reviews were misplaced and were actually intented for the P.S. Guesthouse on Phra Sumen Rd. i imagine that happens sometimes...

#20 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 22:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That should be working ok now. We're working on a better way to display the Member Reviews, as they're a bit hidden away at the moment. Suggestions, as always, appreciated.

Only 168 more posts and I'll stop making fun of your state of employment ;-)

We might put together a new set of titles actually...

#21 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 07:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just an update on the user comments, we've changed the layout on the accommodation profile pages somewhat to give the member reviews a bit more space. We also display a bit more info regarding each review, including:

a) Number of reviews made in total
    This is intended to help people decide how "reliable" a review is. While we cull the obvious shills and spammers as a part of the editing process, posters who review once and never return, tend to be amongst the most emotional and the least useful. So, the more reviews a member has made, the more reliable we'd suggest they are. More to come on this front in the coming weeks.

b) Other reviews made
    We now list and link out to the profile pages for other places the member has reviewed. We're hoping this will make it yet again easier for you to find other places you like the sound of -- and hey, you may even find somewhere new to add into your itinerary.

You can see an example of the new layout here.
    Still to come are photo uploads and a couple of others bits and bobs.

Comments/suggestions, as always, appreciated.

#22 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 13:07

• Lornie

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

I have just been looking at “Getting there and around” for Chiang Mai. It says “bus time tables below” but they aren’t there.

http://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai/all

Just a suggestion, it would be really helpful to see which towns the guesthouses/hotels are in after they have been saved to the scrapbook in member centre.

Good work with the new website. Much more user friendly!

#23 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 20:05

• SAMESENGVAT

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011
    Location Cambodia

best safety traveling to visiting Angkor wat temple in Siem reap . cambodia .
    http://www.angkorbestdriver.com
    http://www.siemreaptuktuk.com

#24 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 21:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New site, bugs etc ... By somtam2000 on 17 Oct 2010 100 16702 3 Feb 2013