admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Regular Travelfishers may have noticed a slight change on our homepage. We used to have a great Travelfish recommendation from leading travel publisher Lonely Planet displayed along with a small Lonely Planet logo as attribution for the quote.

Obviously, as a small business, we were extremely flattered to have Lonely Planet say what they did about Travelfish.

This morning, on 19 March 2009, we received an email from the Infringements Co-ordinator at Lonely Planet.

She informed us that they thought our use of the Lonely Planet logo, as attribution for a Lonely Planet quote about Travelfish, on the Travelfish homepage "creates confusion for travellers, who may think we have endorsed a product that in fact we have nothing to do with."

As such, they requested we remove the logo, and went on to say that while we were welcome to use the quote, that we also "include the guidebook edition and year of publication as the source of the quote."

The email also went on to request that we stop showing photographs we took ourselves of Lonely Planet guidebooks on our guidebook review pages (which we complied with) and that we remove a photo we have taken comparing the maps in two Vietnam guidebooks. We have kept the latter online as it clearly contributes to the review as it indicates how the maps in the reviewed edition are not as readable as those in the previous edition.

As the last thing we would want is confused travellers, we've complied with Lonely Planet's request to remove the small Lonely Planet logo from underneath the direct quote above. Just to be sure, here is everything Lonely Planet has had to say about Travelfish (as far as we know -- let us know if you read more!):

Lonely Planet Laos
    6th edition (2007) p.20
    "The most consistently updated website for independent travellers in Southeast Asia, including excellent coverage of Lao border crossings."

Lonely Planet Thailand's Islands & Beaches
    6th edition (2008) p.14
    "The best independent travel site for backpackers coming to Thailand."

Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong
    1st edition (2007) p.21
    "Crammed with opinionated articles and reviews about the region, contributed by independent travellers. Plus up-to-date border crossing info."

Lonely Planet Bangkok
    8th edition (2008) p.208
    "For an idea of the sort of discounts you're looking at, independent travel website Travelfish has a very handy list of nothing more than the hotel name and current online price at the bottom of its Bangkok pages."

So just to be clear, Lonely Planet is in no way endorsing Travelfish as a source of excellent, the best, up-to-date nor handy travel advice.

If you happen to come across other kind words about Travelfish -- in guidebooks or elsewhere -- please post them below -- just don't paste a logo in whatever you do!

#1 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• Vermiccious-
    Knid

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2009

Here's a quote from me:
    "I think this site is fantastic. It's provided me with current information and has given me countless travel tips. Thank you for doing such a great job!"
    ~Vermiccious Knid
    ~~/\~~~/\~~~

That's my logo above. Feel free to use it anytime you like. You don't even need to give me credit!

#2 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 14:37

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And a quote from me:

Last year I bought a well-known travel guide to carry on my travels through Thailand and Cambodia. A few weeks after buying the guide, I discovered this website, and the fantastic, customisable eFish guides. So - armed with BOTH sets of information, I headed on my travels.

I found time and time again, that the Travelfish guides provided a far superior source of information, in terms of accuracy and reliability of reviews (in particular, of accommodation).

Through Travelfish, I discovered some fascinating places in Thailand that didn't rate a mention in the other guide I was carryng. Some of these places ended up being my favourites!

Good on you Travelfish for doing an amazing job - thank you!

#3 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 16:51

• citizen

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

I'm very confused...!?!?!?

#4 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 23:37

• markyeo

Click here to learn more about markyeo
    Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 5

Who needs Lonely Planet when there's Travelfish? Honestly, I've been treated better by locals when I carried around a discrete e-fish as compared to a bright blue Lonely Planet guide. Not to mention, carrying a Lonely Planet book screams tourist and I've been subjected to that treatment before, which meant doing touristy stuff and paying tons of money for it. Since then, I've wised up and used Travelfish.

Travelfish makes getting around SE Asia a walk in the park.

#5 Posted: 20/3/2009 - 02:30

• KevinH

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2009

Congrats! Your officially moving up, you've become a 'threat' to their business.

I think they're beginning to realize that this site is far, far superior for the countries that you do cover. I've been lurking here for months now reading and planning for my SE Asia trip this summer. This site has been invaluable to me. Keep up the great work, I hope you make buckets of money someday :)

#6 Posted: 20/3/2009 - 02:59

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

the irony is there is a google ad on this page for the LP!...

Who needs them anyway... Travelfish is the dogs nads!!

#7 Posted: 20/3/2009 - 04:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks people -- much appreciated. The whole thing still has me scratching me head a bit.

Never a dull moment!

#8 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 08:40

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just for the record, I personally was not confused by the LP logo on the Travelfish homepage.

Also, for the record, I'm in the midst of a 4 1/2 month journey across Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, and all I'm using for guidance is Travelfish.

The guides are outstanding, and the info on the site, along with the incredibly consistent forums, always clears up any further questions I have. Thanks to somtam and the rest of the experienced travellers who answer all those questions.

If there were Travelfish's for other parts of the world, LP would be in trouble...

#9 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 20:11

• markyeo

Click here to learn more about markyeo
    Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008
    Location Singapore

DLuek: I wished more travellers in SE Asia would know more about Travelfish though, I still see many of them totting those bright blue guides, targeted by cyclos in Saigon, tuktuks in Bangkok, and being brought along for a ride to handicraft factories and wholesale jewelry centres where they pay obscene amounts of money for a worthless piece of jade.

But yeah, LP has a business to run. And so do those businessmen.

#10 Posted: 27/3/2009 - 14:27

• Advertisement

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

Please remember lawyers are a strange breed of creature not like the rest of us, things like "common sense" are seemingly beyond them.

Personally like others have said I'd be proud of it.

p.s. the best use I've found for lp is using LP China as a kind of brick like weapon, you throw it at your mugger, nine times out of ten it should knock them out cold.

#11 Posted: 28/3/2009 - 14:19

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

I am not surprised by LP's 'action'.

I'm sure most know that LP was bought by BBC (as in UK) several months ago. Being a big corporate conglomerate, it appears BBC have used their legal team to justify their purchase.

The sad fact, for me, is that BBC are destroying the essential fabric that is Lonely Planet - a useful guide, updated irregularly (and haphazardly) by its authors and with feedback from travellers.

Now, BBC appear not to care what travellers may have to contribute!!!

Lonely Planet - for all its shortcomings - has long provided the structure for travellers:

* It provides maps (sometimes of dubious size - eg. Laos),

* It provides some ideas about accommodation (though generally by the time it is printed, the prices are out of date. And, all-too-often, the accommodation provider ups the so-called 'prices').

* It provides suggestions of attractions - both commercial and non-commercial.

* And, in the broader context, it provides the reader with a means to focus their travel planning.

Both LP and Travelfish have sought to exploit the 'pdf' or 'e-guide' market. This is sad as a paper-printed travel guide is more amenable to more travellers than an electronic guide will ever be. With my own aversion to having to carry electronics with me (other than a trusty Canon camera), I find so many others having a similar point of view. Those with their Ipod's also tell of being 'stranded' when it succumbs to water, dust or too much jolting. I suspect that the electronic 'means' may well be great for travellers in modern 1st world nations, but it doesn't quite cut the mustard in the back-blocks of Asia.

With the Lonely Planet 'structure' comes a need for detail. As far as SE Asia is concerned, Travelfish IS that answer.

If the BBC legal team want to eradicate the hand-in-hand relationship between Lonely Planet and Travelfish, then all that can be said is that Lonely Planet will be the loser.

If, or when, Travelfish can organise a printer to print up its pdf's in a manageable size and post to purchasers, Lonely Planet will be all but useless in SE Asia.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 29/4/2009 - 12:09

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Here’s a quote from me, "FUCK LP!"

Please feel free to put that on your home page. :)

I have bought many guide books and now that the BBC (British Broadcasting CON) is involved I will be buying other guides. My latest book was on Budapest by DK Eyewitness Travel Guides. It's really good! The depth and detail is unbelievable and the maps and pictures are great! I would definitely be looking at more of their guide books for other countries.

TV licence.

#13 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 20:30

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Jon...

I'd love a little 'link' option in Travelfish that allows me to send an email to you - but I never know your email address until you link to me.

That way, I wouldn't need to use this 'public' page of a 'public' forum to have a chat.

Are you listening SomTam??

Somtam.... Other sites do it....

- - - -

I'm off to the UK later this year, and I wanted to chew your ear as to an appropriate alternative to Lonely Planet for the UK.

Any ideas?

cheers

#14 Posted: 3/5/2009 - 06:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Others sites do it, other sites may be run by more than one person!

Yes, there's been a few requests for private messaging. Ahhh, it's on my list .... but it's a long list -- just me here, so things take time, and there's other stuff with priority at the moment, so apols in advance if it takes a while.

#15 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 11:18

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

LP is dead - it is static. I own a tourism business in VN and I do NOT want LP to put us in their Guidebook! In our business we NEED real people saying real truthful words about us to their friends & on the internet! well done Travelfish!!!

#16 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 14:12

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

BRUCEMOON,

Hi, All I can say mate is check out the 'DK Eyewitness Travel Guides' for UK if they do one. If it’s anything like the Budapest one I just got you won’t be disappointed!

Where in The UK are you going to? London is obviously an interesting place. Salisbury has a few good sites (Cathedral, Wood/Stone Hedge). Some of the places in Wales make good days out too, Conwy Castle, bronze age mines, slate caverns etc..

Also agree that a messaging feature would be THE BEST addition to the already great travel fish. Also, being able to edit post? :)

#17 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 18:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
BBC buys Lonely Planet ... By somtam2000 on 1 Oct 2007 8 5059 20 Mar 2013
Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong! ... By brucemoon on 27 Apr 2009 18 8236 27 Aug 2009
CHeap Lonely Planet Books ... By Gerry on 22 May 2008 2 4029 1 Mar 2010
lonely planet vietnam and cambodia ... By aldoscriba on 12 Oct 2012 5 2005 14 Oct 2012
Rough Giude vs. Lonely Planet ... By chopin on 9 Dec 2009 3 5737 11 Dec 2009
Meltdown on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree ... By Captain_Bob on 23 May 2013 71 7362 6 Jun 2013
Lonely Planet Vietnam 9th edition reviewed ... By somtam2000 on 1 Aug 2007 2 6742 3 Aug 2007
Lonely Planet forums back on the agenda ... By Xircal on 15 Jan 2013 1 1336 15 Jan 2013
Lonely Planet's Laos 6th edition reviewed ... By somtam2000 on 29 Aug 2007 13 7523 18 Oct 2009
Lonely planet india wanted- in thailand. ... By g_singh on 27 Jan 2008 2 3417 30 Jan 2008