• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well I just clicked on an ad on this site for the first time EVER Somtam!

I usually get email alerts for Air Asia but haven't had this one yet. The one I got a few days ago was from 99Baht, not free!

Unfortunately I never know where I'll be on any specific date 6-7 months hence but if you do then go for it. Air Asia are getting their act together quite well nowadays. I must have flown with them about a dozen times this last trip.

They used to have a bad reputation for being late but I don't recall any big delays at all this year. In fact I think they were mostly bang on time, sometimes a few minutes early. Maybe I was just lucky but I remember I used to automatically assume they'd be at least 30 minutes late leaving a few years ago.

The other thing that's changed this year is it's not free seating any more so no more mad stampedes to grab the best seats.

You get given a seat number when you check in... not necessarily with the person you're travelling with though. You can book specific seats when you're buying you ticket though...at a wee extra fee of course!

For those who've never used this airline, the planes are quite new and seem well maintained. Leather seats, not fully reclinable on short haul flights at least, but they aren't bad. At least good as planes in Europe to my unqualified eye.

Like many budget airlines you have to pay extra for checked in luggage now....another reason to travel light...but they don't sting you for hidden extras so aggressively as companies like Ryan Air (which I absolutely loathe).

Also the crew on Air Asia are generally a LOT more polite and friendly than equivalent budget airlines in Europe.

Think that's it. Now my question:

Has anyone done their long haul flight to the UK yet? Any good?

#1 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 04:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Glad to hear you finally found an ad worth clicking on SBE... ;-)

#2 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 08:06

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hmm. There was a "free seat" alert from Air Asia in my email box when I woke up this morning.

Does TF get advance notification of special offers?

#3 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 14:39

• andytc

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

They still have a bad reputation for the very low 15kg bag weight limit , that's on international flights as well. If you book , watch your bag weight as it's an extra $4 per kilo.

#4 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 20:14

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

andytc

15kg - that's a heck of a lot of baggage.

As an aside, I've been flying out of Australia with AirAsia for some time now. And, I ONLY use carry on baggage for a host of reasons. But the primary reason is that if I can't carry it on my back, its not worth taking. And, secondly, if I can't get it into carry-on, then my footprint is way too large.

But, I'm not like everyone else. Even so, do you REALLY need more than 15kg?

Cheers

#5 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 18:03

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

The 15kg limit is a bit of a pain when the airline you use to get to KL (from the UK for example) has a 20kg limit ... i agree taking less than 15kg would be ideal... my wife on the other hand seems to disagree :-)

#6 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 18:10

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

chrispyrolls

I can identify with that dilemma!!! :)

But, being forced by Air Pacific to abandon that which she decided was too important to leave home without was a lesson I could never have contemplated teaching (for fear of...) let alone deliver.

*Thank you Mr Air Pacific*

For me, the answer was always carry-on. The bag size IS (fortunately) limited, so there's no option to consider the kitchen sink.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 19:24

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

I have flown with Air Asia 12 times or more around Thailand and also to Malaysia and Indonesia. We have never had a problem but I think we had to pay extra for heavy bags before but its still a great price!

"Also the crew on Air Asia are generally a LOT more polite and friendly than equivalent budget airlines in Europe."

Yeah, I've gone with Ryan air to Spain more than a few times and the service is crap!

So Air Asia do a long haul flight now??? I wIll be checking that out now.

#8 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 20:01

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Just looked and it seems they go from london to malaysia. Bloody good price tho!!!

#9 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 20:13

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

JMM

We've booked on AA for October, @ a good price! Now all we need is a bloody good travel guide for Britain. Any ideas?

Cheers

#10 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 05:10

• Advertisement

• andytc

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

"Even so, do you REALLY need more than 15kg?"

I'm afraid i do , i'm under 20k and currently away for 6 months or more , so have a few too many electricals with me this time. Even so , 15kg is non-sense for international flights , not everyone travels with a towel , some shorts and a toothbrush , nice if you can , but not the reality for most. Just had another nightmare flight with Air-Asia to Oz....never again with this mob...never.

#11 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 20:14

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

"We've booked on AA for October, @ a good price! Now all we need is a bloody good travel guide for Britain. Any ideas?"

Hi Brucemoon,

I answered this question the best I could in the other post. I'm not the best person to ask about UK coz I would rather living in Thailand at the moment, or any other country for that matter!

Why do you want to come to RIP-OFF England anyway? Its shit!

;)

#12 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 15:01

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm not the best person to ask about UK coz I would rather living in Thailand at the moment, or any other country for that matter!

LOL Jon Mak Mak, me too! I have a UK passport but know nothing about my own country... I haven't lived there since I left uni. It's weird going back to visit family ... I don't know any of the programmes on TV or the politics (I haven't a clue what Gordon Brown looks like). I have a house in France for when I'm not on the road but I think I'll be giving that up quite soon too. It's really hard to find any reason whatsoever for living in Europe....taxes, constant stress, grumpy people, rip offs, weather, everything ridiculously expensive, lousy transport, takes minths to get an appointment with a dentist or an optician ... what exactly are the advantages of living here?? I can't understand why everyone doesn't just piss off op SE Asia permanently.

Gonna try Easyjet to go and see family in a couple of weeks but I bet it won't be a patch on Air Asia.

#13 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 22:46

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ahem. Sorry about the typos (yet again). Blame the Cotes du Rhone at lunch ....decent cheap wine is one advantage of living here I suppose. ;-)

Somatam my dearest friend... as you should know by now I am not a spammer (just an old lady with terrible eyesight, slow fingers and a penchant for the odd tipple) so can I have an edit function please.

You give us link privileges after a certain number of posts and I notice that the time limit for posting has at last been extended. In spite of this, I still seem to being making spelling mistake after imbibing a bottle of Cotes du Rhone.

Is it not possible to give those of us who are orthographically challenged an edit button too?

It would save you a lot of work and it would help make your forum look far more professional ...especially when I post.

I'll try think up some other compelling reasons shortly. ;-)

#14 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 23:06

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

For fun, I typed in 'old lady' on google, and the following popped up:

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=old+lady&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Cr4hSsTuMMaJkQXKnIWVBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Maybe you could enlighten us as to the nearest applicable so that we can better identify with you.

- - - -

I find that the lack of edit & the time limit function not to be troublesome.

Like most others, I got frustrated at the occasional loss of posts.

So, what I do is:

1. type my comments,
    2. ALWAYS copy the post (CTRL C),
    3. edit my post,
    4. ALWAYS copy the 'edited' post (CTRL C),
    5. send the post.

If, perchance, the stupid electronics in the box under Somtam's bed are playing up, I can revisit the message and paste (CTRL V).

- - - -

Hope this helps

#15 Posted: 31/5/2009 - 06:22

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

How organized. I'm more reckless and just type in the grey box myself because I think if forums want me to post my pearls of wisdom then it should be as easy as possible for me to do so. It's bad enough trying to type on a computer without an E button (the button fell off a couple of years ago somewhere in Asia) so now I have to practically hammer the keyboard every time I want to type an e. You should be jolly grateful I ever manage to post at all!

As for them ladies...well I looked through about 5 pages and failed to find a single one that looked like me! I must be unique.

PS Although there will probably never be an edit function in my lifetime at this rate, thank you for extending the time limit for posting Somtam. It does make things a lot easier...appreciated.

#16 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 21:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.