admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've an interview in today's PhnomPenh Post -- Cambodia's leading English language daily newspaper.

If you're in Cambodia at the moment you've probably already seen today's paper, but if not, you can read the interview here.

First one to guess the country where the photo was taken gets a Travelfish Guide of their choice ;-)

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 15:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry and I meant to say this is part of a wider cooperation with the PhnomPenh Post where we'll be supplying them with interesting travel content on a weekly basis -- more news on that to come tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's our first one

#2 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 15:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Great article, Somtam! And a great opportunity for TF!

My guess - the photo was taken in Laos?!

#3 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 17:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

busylizzy - you betcha -- the BeerLao gives it away huh. It's taken at a goat restaurant in Attapeu -- top spot.

Let me know what guide you want and I'll slip it into your account.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 18:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

even though busylizzy already guessed correctly, and the BeerLao is a dead giveaway, i wanted to guess Cambodia anyway, just to keep the thread going.

nice interview somtam. congratulations.

#5 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 22:49

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

HiSomtam also congrats for your chance to do your articles for the P.P. enjoyed your article on the effects of tourism. Some interesting points made and very topical. I like the thought of using our footprints as lightly as possible.I must admit my wife and I never cease to be amazed at the attitude of foreign tourists when we regularly travel to s.e.asia.There seems to be this pervasive attitude that I've paid my bucks for this holiday so any sense of not offending local sensibilities goes out the door. The girl walking past the muslim restaurants on Koh Lanta checking out the menus wearing just a g string is seared in the memory.Don't know wether she would have sat down like that but the local on the very friendly local population was enough to make you cringe.Anyway I'm off my soapbox keep up the good work
    Regards
    Swag

#6 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 07:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Cool bananas - thanks Somtam! Yeah, the beer gave it away....

I'm not sure if the Vietnam pack is on offer as a guide... as it technically a collection of guides. If it IS on offer, I'll grab that one thanks. Otherwise, I'll be thrilled with the Hanoi guide.

Many thanks!

#7 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 08:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

busylizzy - Vn pack is in your account now. When you off to Vietnam?

Swag - glad you liked the story & I agree totally -- never ceases to amaze me.

Exacto - thanks!

#8 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 08:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Got it, thanks! I will be heading away for 6 months in September - first spending two months in Indonesia (Bali, Lombok, Flores, etc) and then heading to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, briefly in Thailand and possibly a few weeks in Sulawesi on my home. (At least, that's the rough plan at this stage).

This is my first long-term OE - and as someone in my mid-40's and travelling on my own, I'm nervous but very excited about my upcoming adventure. The travelguide will definitely be put to good use. I found the Thai and Cambodian guides so helpful last year on my 6-week trip, especially when looking for accomodation and general planning.

Excuse me now, while I'm to print out the guide - and to slap a TF sticker on the front!

Lisa

#9 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 13:28

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i agree - great article ... and we get to put a face to the name... unless you used a stand in?

#10 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 13:29

• Advertisement

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

excellent article, well done!

#11 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 04:45

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Glad to hear you enjoy helping people on the forum.

The guides are great, but a few times during my last trip when I really needed a bit of info that wasn't in the guides, you were there to help on the forum promptly.

It's much appreciated... Since I've gotten home I've also made Travelfish my homepage... Somehow it makes me feel like I still have a foot in SE Asia.

Keep it up,

DL

#12 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 11:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New Phnom Penh Post website ... By somtam2000 on 24 Mar 2008 2 3135 12 Aug 2008
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1280 2 Mar 2014