Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Interview in today's Phnom Penh Post

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/7/2009 at 15:39 admin

I've an interview in today's PhnomPenh Post -- Cambodia's leading English language daily newspaper.

If you're in Cambodia at the moment you've probably already seen today's paper, but if not, you can read the interview here.

First one to guess the country where the photo was taken gets a Travelfish Guide of their choice ;-)

Cheers!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/7/2009 at 15:45 admin

Sorry and I meant to say this is part of a wider cooperation with the PhnomPenh Post where we'll be supplying them with interesting travel content on a weekly basis -- more news on that to come tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's our first one

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 1/7/2009 at 17:02

Great article, Somtam! And a great opportunity for TF!

My guess - the photo was taken in Laos?!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/7/2009 at 18:47 admin

busylizzy - you betcha -- the BeerLao gives it away huh. It's taken at a goat restaurant in Attapeu -- top spot.

Let me know what guide you want and I'll slip it into your account.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498

Posted by exacto on 1/7/2009 at 22:49

even though busylizzy already guessed correctly, and the BeerLao is a dead giveaway, i wanted to guess Cambodia anyway, just to keep the thread going.

nice interview somtam. congratulations.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by swag on 2/7/2009 at 07:55

HiSomtam also congrats for your chance to do your articles for the P.P. enjoyed your article on the effects of tourism. Some interesting points made and very topical. I like the thought of using our footprints as lightly as possible.I must admit my wife and I never cease to be amazed at the attitude of foreign tourists when we regularly travel to s.e.asia.There seems to be this pervasive attitude that I've paid my bucks for this holiday so any sense of not offending local sensibilities goes out the door. The girl walking past the muslim restaurants on Koh Lanta checking out the menus wearing just a g string is seared in the memory.Don't know wether she would have sat down like that but the local on the very friendly local population was enough to make you cringe.Anyway I'm off my soapbox keep up the good work
Regards
Swag

#6 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by busylizzy on 2/7/2009 at 08:08

Cool bananas - thanks Somtam! Yeah, the beer gave it away....

I'm not sure if the Vietnam pack is on offer as a guide... as it technically a collection of guides. If it IS on offer, I'll grab that one thanks. Otherwise, I'll be thrilled with the Hanoi guide.

Many thanks!

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/7/2009 at 08:19 admin

busylizzy - Vn pack is in your account now. When you off to Vietnam?

Swag - glad you liked the story & I agree totally -- never ceases to amaze me.

Exacto - thanks!

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498

Posted by busylizzy on 2/7/2009 at 13:28

Got it, thanks! I will be heading away for 6 months in September - first spending two months in Indonesia (Bali, Lombok, Flores, etc) and then heading to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, briefly in Thailand and possibly a few weeks in Sulawesi on my home. (At least, that's the rough plan at this stage).

This is my first long-term OE - and as someone in my mid-40's and travelling on my own, I'm nervous but very excited about my upcoming adventure. The travelguide will definitely be put to good use. I found the Thai and Cambodian guides so helpful last year on my 6-week trip, especially when looking for accomodation and general planning.

Excuse me now, while I'm to print out the guide - and to slap a TF sticker on the front!

Lisa

#9 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by chrispyrolls on 2/7/2009 at 13:29

i agree - great article ... and we get to put a face to the name... unless you used a stand in?

#10 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 16/7/2009 at 04:45

excellent article, well done!

#11 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by DLuek on 16/7/2009 at 11:29 TF writer

Glad to hear you enjoy helping people on the forum.

The guides are great, but a few times during my last trip when I really needed a bit of info that wasn't in the guides, you were there to help on the forum promptly.

It's much appreciated... Since I've gotten home I've also made Travelfish my homepage... Somehow it makes me feel like I still have a foot in SE Asia.

Keep it up,

DL

#12 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.