If you have a new suggestion for the site, please don't hesitate to let us know in this thread -- we're always looking for new ideas.
Somtam, et. al.
I'm a big fan of the site, as you already know. I was wondering if you have plans for organizing the messageboard. As the number of posts continues to climb, will you segment the questions by subtopics under each country, or will you just stay with listing the posts according to which are most recent? Also, how old will a post be before it ages off the board?
We do plan to break it up a little more and probably add some sub-sections, but we'll continue to run it as is for the time being, so we can see what people are asking about -- for example we didn't anticipate the number of itinerary questions... so that may be a set of new sub-sections...
The posts will never age off the board -- they'll always be there.
Likewise, do you have plans to expand the coverage to include additional southeast Asian countries? How do you feel about Burma, for example? Even if you didn't want to include Rangoon or other cities, what about a small bit about Tachilek for those crossing the border from Mae Sai? (I spent a really strange two hours there once)
Bangkok is the natural gateway for most travellers, but I've noticed a few folks arriving/departing from KL. What about Singapore?
Have you noticed many Travelfish folks heading up into southern China? Would a section on Kunming and the Sipsong Panna fit into your focus?
Adding a bit of info about Jakarta, at least Jalan Jaksa, seems like a natural too. You could even mention my favorite, Begasi, where the Oreo cookies are made. Regards.
Burma -- not an easy one, let's just say if we were to expand further, Burma would not be the next country we'd add.
We're in the midst of adding Vietnam at the moment, a process which is taking considerably longer than expected for a wide range of reasons -- at least we're learning a lot in the process!
Once Vietnam is in the bag Travelfish will be expanding further -- at this stage I can only say that Travelfish will always be a Southeast Asia focused website -- we do not plan to expand beyond SE Asia.
Hi Somtam! When do you expect to have more info on Vietnam? I would love to see more on Halong Bay and Phu Quoc.
#7 Danka has been a member since 23/4/2006. Posts: 24
As you may have noticed, Vietnam stuff is going in slowly -- we lost a researcher and I'm having a baby (or rather my other half is) to travel plans are being reoganised somewhat! Halong Bay will be online before Phu Quoc -- I'll drop you a line when it is on
Congratulations! Would love to see a webcam of your other half giving birth. Maybe in an appropriate scenic spot with guesthouse rating. Can't wait...
#9 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270
Hi Somtam! Thanks very much for your message and it would be great if you could drop me a line when Halong Bay is up. Congratulations as well on the unborn baby. I can do without the webcam.
#10 Danka has been a member since 23/4/2006. Posts: 24
Just read the news, congrats to you and your other half somtam, good luck! Peace and love, Danny J
#11 DannyJ has been a member since 5/10/2005. Posts: 36
Thanks so much for this great site. It has proved to be invaluable as my girlfriend and i plan and prepare for our 11 week trip to SE asia. I hope i can help a bit with some suggestions:
1. Maps: In the map list, a clickable map of the entire area would be very helpful; clicking would link to sub maps. This would be in addition to and above/below the current list. Have you considered integrating the google maps api?
2. I think a travel planning utility would be fantastic. Basically scripting the travel planning section. i.e. you select a starting point, then added points, this would generate both a itinerary with links to the location's individual pages and a clickable map. We found ourselves jumping between the different trip plans trying to peice together items.
3. I think a travel time database would be amazing;similar to the travel time tables in the travel planer; allow the user to select two points, and the website returns the available travel methods and times. This could integrate with the travel planner.
4. I think the site has so much useful information, but i think the navigation needs improveing; maybe even the site needs some reorginzation. Maybe provide an AJAX site map or expandable/collapsable navigation? Dunno...
5. A mobile version of the site; considering the widespread cellphone coverage in SE asia, a mobile version of the site could help travellers stuck in a bind.
Thats all that jumps to mind right now. btw, i am a freelance web developer. I would love to work for travelfish. :)
#12 itchyfeet has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 19
Thanks for your suggestions -- they're much appreciated. Some are already in the pipeline, though bear in mind it's a very long pipeline!