admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Earlier this week, we added the 4,000th property review to Travelfish. At a glance that may not seem like much, but bear in mind that when we say 4,000 guesthouse and hotel reviews we mean 4,000 guesthouses and hotels in Southeast Asia that Travelfish researchers have visited in person and reviewed anonymously.

As you're probably well aware there's a slew of travel websites out there offering accommodation reviews -- and some of them are excellent -- but we like to think that we're a little bit different. We're one of the very few websites that pay a team of researchers to go out and find these properties and review them anonymously. There's no hotel-supplied PR waffle, no backhanders, no free nights and no comp'd minibars, they just write it as they see it.

Somewhat fittingly, the 4,000th review belongs to Baan Pai Country Hut in Pai -- a low key joint in northern Thailand, with no email address nor a website -- the sort of joint that falls through the cracks of so many hotel and guesthouse booking reservation websites. But it could be just the kinda place you're looking for.

We'd go as far as to say we've got the largest collection of independently reviewed guesthouses and hotels in Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam available online -- but as that doesn't really roll off the tongue too well, we'll just say we reckon we've put together a pretty good collection of places to stay across the region -- we hope you do too.

Cheers

Stuart, Sam & the Travelfish researchers, who, as always, remain anonymous!

#1 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 22:06

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Well done Stuart and the team!

I, for one, thoroughly appreciate the work and effort that you guys but into these reviews. I found them very helpful on my travels last year, and will put them to good use on my upcoming trip.

#2 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 07:34

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Stuart

As with Lisa, I congratulate you and the team on a stirling effort.

While in an ideal world it would be great to review all these places at least bi-annually, the fact is that on ground review means that 'updates' are probably less frequent than we'd all appreciate.

What sorts Travelfish reviews out from the chaff is that you use a star system based on actual experience (not $$$$ influence) and the 'researcher' tends to explain well the reasons why the relevant stars were (or not) afforded.

To me, whether the price is current isn't an issue. What's important is the (usually) good overview of reality.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
You can now review destinations on Travelfish - and win prizes! ... By somtam2000 on 7 May 2009 44 14352 17 Sep 2010
Last Paradise Guesthouse and Bar Ya Nui Phuket guest review ... By Dollyache on 11 Feb 2011 0 3414 11 Feb 2011