admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just added a new snippet to the forum that allows all readers (members and non-members) to give individual posts on the forum a thumbs up or down.

It's nothing too scientific -- but if you think what the person wrote to be pretty useful then give it a thumbs-up, likewise if it isn't particularly helpful, give it a thumbs down.

The upping and downing is anonymous but it will allow me to see what readers value on the forum -- and what they do not.

Generally speaking you can only vote once on each individual post -- yes if you've got multiple laptops or browsers then you can vote multiple times, likewise if you clear off your cookies you'll be able to vote again -- but I am hopeful that you have better things to do with your time.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can also vote for your own posts -- as I did on the OP here -- giving it a thumbs up -- feel free to play around with the feature on this thread if you want.

#2 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:14

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Stuart

It'd be more helpful to have an edit button for reviewing a post before 'publishing' it.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, well, I'll, ummm, keep that in mind.

#4 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:37

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Good move.

A forum I read and contribute to regularly has similar features. I often start to give good posts here or elsewhere the thumbs up, then realize it's not a feature of the site.

Making it not anonymous has advantages too, reactive down thumb wars and what not. ;-)

Hope it makes work easier, can't say I envy you, what for me is diversion for you is work.

#5 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:42

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've just given you a thumbs up for your post Somsai. :-)

Forgive me for asking (yet again) but why exactly can't we have an edit/delete snippet too Somtam?

I'll vote myself thumbs down for asking a silly question if you like but I can't understand why you seem so reluctant to let people correct typos or add things they forgot to mention etc.

If posters are only allowed to use this edit/delete snippet within a certain time limit and before anyone else posts I can't see how anyone could abuse it much. It would just make posts more more coherent and easier to read and you wouldn't have to repost if an afterthought occurs to you just after hitting the send button etc. Much neater.

AND

It would save you LOTS OF WORK ... eg. you wouldn't have to edit my bordeaux-enhanced efforts, I could just zap em myself. ;-)

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 16:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE - it's a lot of work -- requires a substantial code rewrite of how the forum works and i don't have the time to do it at the moment.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 17:33

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thank you Somtam (that + vote came from me BTW) ;-)

I'd like to pick up on a couple of points though.

I can see absolutely no point in this voting system if all someone has to do to eliminate negative ratings for themselves is to clear cookies and keep giving themselves a thumbs up.

If it's too technically difficult to prevent people from voting for themselves then how about making it necessary to be logged in to vote?

At least that way people would know that YOU can see how they are voting!

#8 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 20:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE -- do it for a while -- it gets tedious quick -- really.

Like I said in the OP, this is nothing too scientific -- I'd like to think that most of the people using the site have better things to do with their time ,,, but I voted you down just for the fun of it. :-)

#9 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 20:36

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

So that's what I get for being nice and voting you up. I see!!!

I am gutted, totally gutted and I will leave this forum forthwith for ever and ever.

...unless you are paying for the beer at the pissup of course.

#10 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 21:48

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.