admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've received a few emails over the last week or so regarding this, so I thought would do a post explaining what is happening.

As regulars will know, Travelfish members are able to post reviews on the pages for specific guesthouses and hotels etc. The idea was to allow others to post their experiences -- good and bad -- in order to give other Travelfish readers a broader range of opinions on a place rather than relying just on the opinion of the Travelfish researcher who wrote the place up.

In the past, comments have been largely unmoderated. Once a member has added a certain number of reviews, they all begin to appear with no input from us. For the most part, this has worked well. Occasionally we've had to remove or edit posts, but mostly the system has run itself satisfactorily.

However, as Travelfish has increased in popularity, so have the volume of reviews, and so have the number of reviews that have required direct intervention from us.

So, we've decided to switch to a pre-moderated system. What this means is that no new accommodation review will appear on the site until it has been manually checked by either myself or a couple of others (if you'd like to give us a hand in this regard, please post in the thread below and I'll be in touch.).

This means there will be a delay in reviews appearing. We're aiming to have them turned around very quickly, but depending on how busy we are with other things, approval may take some time -- and not all reviews will be approved.

We plan to send the new system live in a couple of week's time. It will definitely be up and running by the end of the month.

##########

So what is a good review?
    Simply put a good review is one that will help others decide if the place in question is for them or not. A one line review saying "this place rules" or "this place sux" isn't as useful as one that explains why it rules or sux.

It's really no different to meeting somebody just arrived at the train station and being asked "where did you stay and how was it" -- what would you tell them?

##########

So what is a less good review?
    Less good reviews may not make the cut. Reasons reviews may not be approved include:
    Spam - doesn't need further explanation
    Rant - if you've just had a really bad time at Joe's Lodge and have posted the same rant on every accommodation review site you can find, we probably won't run it.
    Too short - Very short reviews. For example "I loved it here." won't get a run -- not because we don't believe you, but because you didn't tell us why you loved it. The idea behind the reviews it that they're helpful to others -- the more information you write in the review, the more helpful it is to others.
    lawyers - Any review that we deem is likely to result in lawyers sending us nasty letters probably won't make the cut. Your anonymous - we're not.
    closed - If a property closes down, or is removed from Travelfish for some other reason, the reviews for that property are automatically deleted.
    other - a catchall for anything I haven't thought of in the above!

Don't take the above to mean we're canning most of the reviews -- far from it. Once the new system is up and running, any review you post from then on that gets canned will be marked with one of the above in the Member Centre so you'll know why.

##########

Frequently Asked Questions
    1) I joined Travelfish last week and posted a review, but it hasn't appeared. What gives?
    Post some more reviews on other places you stayed at. Members will have no reviews approved until they've reviewed a few places. You stayed at more than one place during your vacation didn't you?

2) I'm the owner of a place, can I post a rebuttal or a thankyou?
    Yes of course, but please identify yourself as the owner, be polite and don't get into slanging matches.

3) I posted a negative review and you deleted it. Why?
    We run a lot of negative reviews. We don't run reviews that may result in lawyers sending us nasty letters. You're welcome to post something negative but bear in mind you're doing it behind a cloak of anonymity -- that's a cloak we don't have!

4) What does "This is a Travelfish recommended reviewer" mean?
    While all Travelfish members are equal, some are more active than others. Some are very active on the forum, others on the reviews section. When a member reaches a certain threshold of activity we note them as a "recommended reviewer" -- this suggests they're got perhaps quite a bit of experience in the region and you may find their contributions especially informative. Reviews by "recommended reviewers appear before those of everyone else. (Note we're still rolling this out, so please don't be offended if you're not on the recommended list right now!)

5) Why can't I add photos to the review?
    Because I haven't had time to code it in yet! We do have plans to allow member submitted pics in the future.

##########

So that's about the story. If you've more questions or suggestions regarding this, please let me know in the thread below.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

"You stayed at more than one place during your vacation didn't you?"

Yeah - but half of them aren't listed on this site and most of them don't deserve much in the way of praise or blame. The place I stayed for 6 days at was great though and that's the only lodging I care much to talk about.

Plus - I accidentally gave Phu Quoc a bunch of 5's when I though that was the top mark --- And I haven't been able to change that --- can you fix that.

#2 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 15:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Caseyprich,

You can change the ratings in the Member Centre. Log in, go to Member Centre and you'll see any reviews you've made listed there. Click on one to edit it and you can change the ratings to adjust to out of ten.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 20:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

thanks - yeah - i tried that but i get an oops! message. tried two different web browsers, perhaps its because i'm in china, sometimes things don't route correctly. thanks for the advice though.

#4 Posted: 16/3/2010 - 06:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh ok, no doubt a problem with some change I've made. Leave it with me. Well bell you when fixed.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 16/3/2010 - 12:06

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

The new policy sounds reasonable, Somtam.

You mentioned possibly needing help sorting through reviews. Can this be accomplished from a remote location? (Remote from you, I mean.....as in, from USA, where I am writing from.) I can lend a bit of a hand, so let me know how that might happen.

Cheers!

#6 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 08:36

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Stuart,

I can help out...shoot me an email if you need help with this.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 10:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@caseyprich - that error has been fixed -- thanks to you and exacto for pointing it out.

@Archmichael @mattocmd - thanks a lot -- will be in touch once I've finished writing the editing stuff.

Much appreciated all

#8 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 08:06

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Ok.....sounds good.

#9 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 09:42

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

I'm pretty new on Travelfish but I'd be more than happy to help out with review approvals!

FSH

#10 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

Hiya Stuart~
    would be interested in lending a hand as well, let me know
    Thx

#11 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 21:12

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I can help too if you need me.

#12 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 12:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Expanded accommodation reader reviews on Travelfish ... By somtam2000 on 27 Feb 2008 2 3307 14 Aug 2009
Minor change in member posts section cc Thaibeachlovers ... By somtam2000 on 23 Jan 2013 0 998 23 Jan 2013
A bit of a change accommodation wise ... By somtam2000 on 11 Aug 2011 0 1845 11 Aug 2011