Scuba diving in Asia forum

Dive Certification questions

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

I was wondering what the actual prices of taking the diving courses was and also what type of certification it is. Can I then go to say Australia and be able to dive by myself? or do I have to be diving with a divemaster or an instructor.

Thanks

Keaton

#1 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 11:40

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

I live and work on a small island in Thailand called Koh Tao. Im a dive instructor and underwater photographer.

The prices here for your Open Water Course are 9800B and for your Advanced Course (which you can take straight after) 8500B.

This is one of the cheapest places in the world to learn to dive - you do not say where you are thinking of learning - prices do vary quite alot the world over and even in Thailand. In most other places in Thailand you will pay 13000-15000B for your Open Water Course.

PADI is the most popular certification agency and the one you are more likely to have heard of but there are many more ...SSI, BSAC, CMAS, SDI etc... they are all internationally recognised and you can dive with any dive centre even if they are not the same agency that you have learnt with.

Your licences will be internationally recognised so yes you can dive in Australia. It will depend on the dive centres policy though as to weather they will allow you to buddy up with another diver to conduct your own dives or weather you will have a guide. Its quite likely that you will be given a guide however as most places like you to have a certain amount of logged dives and expereince before buddying you up and letting you off on your own. A guide is nice to have - I have done 1000s of dives and can take care of myself no problem but local guides know where all the cool stuff hangs out - so you will see far more !

Hope this helps !

#2 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 12:30

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

Thank you for your reply and answering my questions.

Hope to see you there when I get.

Getting really excited about leaving!! Only about 85 days till we leave!

#3 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 11:03

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

No problem !

Dont hesitate to get intouch if you have any more questions...

Ayesha

#4 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 09:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
one-day dive without certification in Koh Tao ... By FaceTheHorizon on 2 Jun 2013 2 2772 4 Dec 2013
one-day scuba dive in Koh Tao without certification ... By FaceTheHorizon on 1 Jun 2013 3 2431 7 Jun 2013