Scuba diving in Asia forum

Koh Tao to dive in October? Where else?

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Hi
    I posted on here a while ago, planning a trip in August and September, including some time on Koh Tao to learn to dive at the start of the trip. Due to work uncertainties and me 'faffing' about, I've been researching and planning, and buying things fo rhte trip, but haven't booked anything. So now the plan is to go in October and November, putting me on Koh Tao in the first 2 weeks of October.

Basically, is this a reasonable time to go for a diving course on Koh Tao, as the info on this site seems to show a fair bit of rain in October.

Obviously I'm going to be wet anyway! But are there storms or anything else?

#1 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 17:43

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

I live here on Koh Tao.

November is the usual time for monsoon and a few dive centres actually close for the whole month.

Sept and October is a time you can see whalesharks here - so you could be lucky.

However the weather can be changable - this last November we did not get any real rain and so the conditions were lovely all the way through.
    We are expereincing a few storms and some rain right now which we desperatly need - but this is not really normal either.

Things seem quite odd this year climate wise.

November time its best to go to the west coast for good conditions.
    Your course will be more expensive there than on Koh Tao though.

You do not actually really need to book your course.... you can always find out where the best conditions are and what the weather is like once you are here and choose from there.....

#2 Posted: 24/7/2010 - 12:41

• clausmc

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Hi There

I agree to the above post and Koh Tao is a good island to start diving, the dive spots are close to Koh Tao, so no long boat trips and conditions are calm and easy. The PADI Open Water Course which is probably the course you want to do, takes about three and a half days. The standards for PADI courses are everywhere in the world the same, so no matter if you do it in Thailand or in your home country, just the time frames and schedules can differ in different locations. 90% of course satisfaction depends on your instructor, so talk with him first, try to do the course in your own language and try not to take a course with more than 4 students. Here you can have a look about how the PADI courses are done in Koh Tao it's pretty much everywhere the same schedule here: Diving Courses Koh Tao .
    Normally the Diving Courses in Koh Tao include accomondation, these are pretty basic so try to get yourself a nice bungalow on Sairee Beach, and then get a discount for the course.

I hope that helped you.

Cheers

Claus

#3 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 22:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.