Scuba diving in Asia forum

Diving in January?

• Liz90

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Hi,

Just after some advice really. I am going to be travelling to Sydney in January and would like to stop off in the far east for maybe a week or more and seen as I am now certfied I thought it would be a good chance to dive somewhere new aside from the barrier reef. I was looking at Singapore and would love to see singapore anyway however it seems to be not their diving season from what I have googled. I also considered Thailand however I don't feel comfortable travelling through Thai on my own thats why Sing was appealing because it is more modernised. Any suggestions on areas where it is not their monsoon period I have no clue :) I would be looking to do an advanced course for my 30m ticket. Thanks in advance, Liz.

#1 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 20:03

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Not sure there is much great diving around singapore. How about Koh Tao? We did our open water and advanced open water at Koh Tao a year ago with Simple Life Divers and would highly recommend them.

The rainy season *should* be over then as the monsoon is usually nov-dec for that side of Thailand.
    I wouldn't worry at all about going to Thailand by yourself esp Koh Tao, you'll probably see as many or more westerners on the island as you will Thais.

Lots of great diving on the Andaman side (i.e. Phuket ) as well and might be easier to get to. Again very modern but can still find non-modern if you wish.

Thailand is very easy to travel around.

#2 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 23:24

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

I live and work on Koh Tao in diving.

Thailand is very easy to travel through and you shouldnt have concerns - Im happy to help you plan your journy from BKK.

As the other poster says the worst of monsoon will be over but the weather and conditions can be changeable. November is really the month to avoid - when the conditions on some days do make diving difficult to impossible.

Koh Tao will certainly be the cheapest place for you to complete your Advanced Course - 8500B - and you certainly have a good plan to complete this before you get to Australia. It will cost you significantly more there and I believe you will be restricted by dive site if you just have your Open Water.

Feel free to message me if you want more specific info or help.

Ayesha

#3 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 12:31

• Liz90

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Koh Tao was the place I was originally looking at actually it was just the transport between Bangkok, just worried it will be like Sri Lanka third world and very unnerving due to the environment and locals feeling the odd one out if that makes sense.

Ayesha seen as your based in Thai do you know of any good diving companies for Koh Tao? There are loads of google and it is hard to know which one based on a website.

I had a look on a diving website and it explained about getting a bus from BKK etc etc etc to then get a ferry to Koh Tao but they are hit and miss therefore you want to get there early is this correct? Or do you have any other information?

Am I correct in remembering that Koh Tao or Thai have full moon days and Xmas/NYE is busy - again website I read this on as I would love to spend NYE to kick start my travels.

Thank-you for both your replies very helpful, Liz.

P.S I did have a look at Simple Life Divers I like their website thanks!

#4 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 16:43

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi Liz,

Maybe you can consider Bali. Great place to dive and easy access. Tulamben and Menjangan are my fav place. Lots of dive shop based in Sanur. Not sure about the price though.

I attached link from divehappy on Bali Safari, hope it helps.

http://divehappy.com/indonesia/bali-dive-safari-lembongan-tulamben-and-pemuteran/

Happy diving!

#5 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 20:45

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Divejunkie, I also thought of Bali but i think they are not in the best of weather in january and poster mentioned they didn't want to deal with the monsoon.

Liz90 we went to Sri Lanka as well last year and the feeling in Thailand in general and Koh Tao in particular is NOTHING like Sri Lanka. We found Sri Lanka very disappointing and expensive compared to Southeast Asia and you definitely feel more like a fish out of water in Sri Lanka than you ever would in Thailand.

There is really no comparison between the two except maybe the weather. Koh Tao is great but Phuket is easier to get to flight wise. With Koh Tao you either have to take the ferry/hydrofoil from Koh Samui (where you can fly to) or Chumphon (train/bus from BKK).

Phuket you can fly to from any number of places and don't even have to go through BKK if you don't want to. We didn't dive around Phuket but from what I know the diving is excellent there as well but probably a little more expensive than Koh Tao. As Ayesha said Koh Tao is about the cheapest place anywhere to do dive courses. The dives are interesting but you don't have to deal with the currents that you do in places like Indonesia so it is great for learning.

We loved Bali but I am just not sure January is the best time of year to go, I believe it is quite crowded due to Australian school holidays and the weather is less than optimum.

#6 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 22:01

• Liz90

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Yeah that sounds great - I have already emailed simple life divers and their reply was really helpful so I think I am going to go with your recommendation!

That sounds good I don't know why I thought it to be like Sri Lanka but thanks everyone for your information.

Liz :)

#7 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 17:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand diving / snorkel in January ... By lashend on 27 Dec 2011 3 1302 28 Dec 2011
Sabah in January weather.. diving, hiking? ... By prana16 on 17 Aug 2009 0 3288 17 Aug 2009