Scuba diving in Asia forum

diving certification

• megeb

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2011

Hey y'all!

A friend and I will be traveling throughout SE Asia from October 2011-January 2012, during which time we plan to get PADI certified. We are planning to do the certification in either Indonesia or Malaysia, so I am looking for input on which one is better and why? Has anyone done a great program in either of these countries that they would recommend? What about cost comparison?

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

#1 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• luvtravelli-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2011

Hi..

I would recommend Salang Island (Tioman, Malaysia), Fisherman Diver. That's the cheapest i came across. Did my OWD in Koh Tao when i was backpacking around SEA and went diving again in Koh Phangan,Koh Phi Phi and Bali. Got a shocked to see the prices compare to what Fisherman is giving. Bunch of very experiences and helpful instructors. No cowboy dives and they are very strict for your own safety, looking out for you very second and will never push you if you can't. They'll go all over again when you are more relax. And also its a good place to chill out after your dives as this is a duty free area with cheap chalet, cheap tasty food etc.

Hopefully this info will help you out a little and so sorry can't really remember exactly how much it is..try to google or go to other forum like scuba board,lonely planet,tripadvisor and all for more advise.

Good luck and enjoy your trip :)

#2 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 02:58

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hello,
    Come to Bali, lots of dive center in Sanur area. I know Bali Scuba http://www.baliscuba.comor Wara Wiri Dive http://www.warawiridive.com/ , both are good dive operators.

Most people also take open water in Gili Trawangan in Lombok. Blue Marlin is the famous one.

If I may suggest, its good if you can take open water in Tulamben , Bali. Its good site to start your diving certification. Tulamben underwater is beautiful. I took my advance there. But its a long time ago. cannot remember how much.

Best fishes,

#3 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 13:45

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

hi
    i am thinking of getting my open water in late october in either malaysia or thailand.

tioman looks good but i am a little concerned about the weather in late october, anyone could enlighten?

#4 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 17:29

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

hi
    i am thinking of getting my open water in late october in either malaysia or thailand.

tioman looks good but i am a little concerned about the weather in late october, anyone could enlighten?

#5 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 17:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
diving certification ... By megeb on 10 Jun 2011 0 957 10 Jun 2011
Koh Tao Diving Certification and Accomodations ... By rsthomas on 13 Sep 2008 2 1631 16 Sep 2008
PADI Diving Certification in the Philippines ... By jellis on 28 Jan 2014 1 976 20 Mar 2014