Scuba diving in Asia forum

Do I need to be certified to dive in Thailand?

• jenc12

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Hi everyone,

I am going to be in Thailand in April (landing in Phuket, planning to spend some time around that area) and am wondering if I need to have any certification to dive there? I won't have time to do a full course in Thailand. Is there a crash course kind of thing that would show me the ropes/allow me to do it (I've gone diving before just never gotten around to taking the course) or is it better to do the online course/pool sessions at home with PADI beforehand and do the open water portion in Thailand?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 11:11

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

You can do the classroom and pool work before you come or you can do the classroom work online. Either will shorten your course....

Otherwise you can do something called a Discover Scuba Dive, which gets you in the water and diving but its not a certification....

#2 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 02:51

• jenc12

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Thank you! I will do as you suggest and get everything done at home before I travel.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2012 - 12:15

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Yes, if you do the classroom work before you leave and I think your pool dives, you can do your open water dives in Thailand and complete your open water cert. My GF is in the same situation as you.. I think she is just going to do the Discovery dive in April while I do my advanced.

#4 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 03:53

• jenc12

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Thanks time2fly - my boyfriend has his cert already so I'm going to get the book/pool part out of the way at home so we can spend our time seeing as much as possible!

Since I've gotten such great answers...

If we end up staying somewhere in Krabi (likely near Railay or Ton Sai is what we're thinking now), can we find dive companies and get to good sites from there or is there a better spot to be based?

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait for April!

#5 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 11:22

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

hey,
    I have been doing some checking around online to find the best places. In my case I am looking in the Samui area. I have found a few places which seem to be decent in knowledge. I have been emailing a company out where I am going and they seem decent in speaking with. This place has great reviews and is rated number 1 on trip advisor... csi Samui is the school.
    I really like to be careful. A lady died in Cabo last week because of bad air and It through me off because I was diving there last year.

#6 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 20:16

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

@jenc12 - Check out www.narimadiving.com - I have used them multiple times in the last few years. Based on Koh Lanta, they'll pick you up anywhere on the island and drop you off at the end of the day. Great equipment, never more than 3 or 4 divers with each DM. Very professional people and can help with advice as to where else you might want to go.

#7 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 05:01

• jenc12

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely take a look online based on those recommendations. Much appreciated!

#8 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 12:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.