Scuba diving in Asia forum

Ko Tao - August

• dene_aus

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010

Hi All,

Im looking to learn to dive in Tao over the next couple of weeks and i just have a few questions. (mainly budget related)

1. Can you recommend any good dive schools?
    2. Will i have to book accom in advance (i know the weather is nice there at this time of year).
    3. what is the average cost of the course these days? and what would be the approximate cost of each diver afer i have been certified?

thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

I have just written a blog for this site on how to choose a dive centre here on Ko Tao.

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/07/25/choosing-a-dive-centre-on-ko-tao/

Expect to pay 9800B for your Open Water Course. Remember August is a very busy time so I would strongly recommend booking a room so you are not disappointed.

Dives after you have completed your course are usually discounted from the higher price of 1000B to 700B. This should include all of your kit and a guide.

Ayesha

#2 Posted: 28/7/2012 - 01:01

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Hey,

Go to New Way Diving... They are awesome staff and great dives. They are always the first boat in the water each morning. So your chances of seeing some cool fish are awesome!!! I went in April and they saw a few Whale Sharks during my stay. They have rooms but I opted out and got a beach hut. If you want, I can find my price list and give you exact costs when I went? A word of advice for you and I stress this.... If you want to avoid sitting in a class room go online to PADI and buy the open water E-leaning course. Once you do this they will send you a comfirmation which you can use at any PADI shop and avoid the classroom while on Vacation... Just some reviews!!! The guy who runs the place is Jim, he is awesome!!! My instuctor is gone now I believe

http://www.newwaydiving.com/

pm me if you want anything else.....

#3 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 17:42

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

You can do your elearning free with SSI....have a look at their website here...

http://www.divessi.com/online_training

If you want to know more about PADI and SSI then you can read my blog for Travelfish here too...

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/08/02/should-i-do-padi-or-ssi/

#4 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 04:23

• Greatlookin-
    guy

Click here to learn more about Greatlookinguy
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012
    Location Earth

Hi Ayesha, THANK YOU for your two awwweesome blog posts :D :D I am traveling to SEA from Nov-Feb this year and will be enrolling in a "learn to dive" course somewhere. Discovery channel episodes are the closest I've ever come to the world of diving and both your blog posts were very, very enlightening!

I think as a first timer, Koh Tao seems the cheapest place to go learn to dive in.. just that I will be in Koh Phangan nearby for a week during NYE and was thinking maybe try out the west coast just for a change. Is there any place there which is as cheap as Koh Tao for a newbie? Not sure what the prices are like in Malaysia etc.

As for certification, I'm going in for the free SSI course online and will take up an SSI dive shop wherever I go. Only doing this for recreation so happy with SSI (although PADI is the only certification I have "heard about" till today. Their PR machine must be good!)

Thank You!

#5 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 03:25

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Thanks for your kind words.

TF have just posted another of my blogs about diving - this time what to expect on your course.

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/10/04/learning-to-dive-on-ko-tao/

As for price Koh Tao is as far as I know cheaper then the west coast but maybe there are other foum users who are more familiar with the area what could give you more precise information.

As you are so close then you could always come here to learn to dive and then enjoy some fun dives on the west coast afterwards?

#6 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 04:23

• Greatlookin-
    guy

Click here to learn more about Greatlookinguy
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012
    Location Earth

Reading your new blog post already :-D

Yeah, am thinking perhaps learning to Dive in Koh Tao a week before NYE, and then heading to Koh Phangan for the celebratory party of becoming a diver maybe the way forward after all !!

#7 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 05:09

• ayesha

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Ok - let me know if you need any further help - you can message me through there too.

#8 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 06:08

• azshoan12

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2013

Thanks ayesha!
    Your blog is so much helpful for beginners. Recently, I've also started to learn diving. I am waiting for your next "useful" article.

Best Regards!

#9 Posted: 4/12/2013 - 06:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.