Scuba diving in Asia forum

Recommendations wanted for learning to dive in Thailand

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Southeast Asia for five months from August onwards. I want to do a PADI open water course in Thailand and have heard that Koa Samui is one of the best places to learn?

Recommendations for locations and dive companies would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

G

#1 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 01:40

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi G,

Ko Samui isn't so good, primarily because it is a longish way from most of the dive sites in the area. You're better off to use Ko Tao as a base. See this story that summarises the options in the area.

#2 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 05:59

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

plenty of great spots in thailand depending on which island you want to head to. koh chang on the east coast koh lanta on the west coast similans, koh tao in the gulf all have there positives.one point is i like to try and dive at 5 star idc centres as they have the highest accreditation and usually the best safety records and equipment.remember dive shops come and go and some gear looks a bit tatty so wise to check your dive shop out before commiting to a course.have fun

#3 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 06:26

• GazzShaw

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2008

Many thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.

G

#4 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 18:46

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Ko Tao is hands-down Thailand's dive Mecca. It has the most options and prices to suit everyone. Diving on the west coast (Similan) is great, too - but significantly pricier.

#5 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 21:44

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

it's actually doesnt matter where you do the diving course, some instruktors are good and some are just interested on your money... its everywere the same. and a course it a course so dont expect that you see so much, you can do fundives after your open water to explore the underwaterworld. in the course you hopefully lean more that you see!!
    many whishes and have fun!

#6 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 12:20

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

You should be there by now Gazzshaw. How about a trip/dive report. I'm going to Koh Tao to do some diving courses in Jan '10, I'm really interested in other peoples experiences.

#7 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 14:37

• Architeuthis

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2009

From my own experience I can recommend you diving in the Similans. I went there in 2008 diving with the Sea Bees, which have branches in Phuket and Khao Lak. Instructions, equipment and sealife were great.
    Have fun...
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles...

#8 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 15:48

• davipinks

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2008

Would appreciate a tip.......

Going to be in the Krabi area about a week before Chirstmas.
    Best to book on line before or get sorted once there?

Thanks

#9 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 17:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

davipinks-- depends on where in the Krabi area you are considering -- and how flexible you are on accommodation. A general round-up on the "should I book" dilemma is here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/101

#10 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 08:29

• Advertisement

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi All

The cheapest place to learn to dive in Thailand is Ko Tao open water course 9800B (in August 2009) as opposed to it's next door neigbour Ko Phangan at 12500B and there are more site's. I desided to go with MasterDivers, who were fantastic, enthusiastic and paitent. Some places will offer accomodation for the duration of the course included in the cost. However as to what you get, can vairy wildly regarding habitability (from what I have been told by people I have met on the way).

I am also going to Krabi, but going straight to Ko Lanta for some apparently fantastic diving, recomended to me by MasterDivers.

As far as booking goes, it's reasuring to know that you have somewhere to stay after a long trip to get there, especially as has been suggested if your going to be arriving late, or in the small hours in the morning. Personally I have only ever booked if I know I'm arriving at 1am etc, and then only for a day or two. This gives you the chance to look for other accomodation the following day should it not be what you expect.

regs

#11 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 12:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Learning to dive in Thailand - where? ... By damo on 10 Nov 2009 9 2471 13 Nov 2009
Learning to dive Koh Tao ... By smash on 12 Jul 2009 6 3855 14 Jul 2009
Welcoming your Gili dive recommendations! ... By cbg0927 on 20 May 2014 1 303 20 May 2014