Scuba diving in Asia forum

Similan Dive Safari.com/MV Dolphin Queen Please Advise!

• littlemisst-
    ypeA

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2008

I would like to book a liveaboard and like the price and the sites of the MV Dolphin Queen. Can anyone advise me for or against this particular boat and company? I would like to book it as soon as possible. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 31/12/2008 - 00:46

• Advertisement

• delanaloo

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

I did a trip with Similan Dive Safari on the MV Dolphin Queen in Nov '09.
    The trip was really great, the boat nice and comfortable, especially for the price, good and plentiful food and the staff knowledgeable and attentive (some more than others...) Overall, I can enthusiastically recommend this company with one big "BUT" .
    When I arrived at the dive shop the morning we were to leave I was informed that since I don't have an Advanced certification, just Open Water, I would have to either hire a private divemaster to dive above 18m with me, take the advanced certification course (arox $250 USD), or take only the deep dive module (aprox $40 USD). I was pretty surprised! I had logged almost 100 dives at this point and have never had anyone even mention it, let alone make me pay to go below 18 meters! I tried see where this could be a liability issue with the dive company and not just a ploy to get more money out of me... When I asked why I was just hearing about this at the last minute, when they could have sent me a quick e-mail explaining their policies, the shop owner got all huffy and in my face, very unpleasant little man. At least he wasn't on the boat with us!

#2 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 14:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
how do you get to the Similan Islands without going on a dive boat ... By harriethigson on 21 Nov 2008 1 3454 26 Nov 2008
Video: Similans + Burma dive safari ... By cybervlad on 24 Jan 2011 18 5588 10 Apr 2012
NOTICE TO ALL FELLOW DIVERS PLANNING TO TAKE DIVE SAFARI IN THAILAND: ... By diverthailand on 16 Aug 2008 1 4794 16 Aug 2008