Scuba diving in Asia forum

Learning to dive Koh Tao

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of learning to dive in Koh Tao (so do the PADI Open Water course) when we're there next year.

I've through this forum and others but can't seem to find any recent definitive advice.

Has anyone had any experience with:
    * Simple Life Koh Tao Diving / Koh Tao Wind Resort (BHT9,800 pp)
    * Davy Jones' Locker / Silver Sands Hotel & Beach Resort (BHT9,800 pp)
    * Planet Scuba (THB9,270 pp)

I think I'm leaning towards the Davy Jones' Locker/Silver Sands or the Simple Life option. These two include four nights accommodation (DJL in bungalow, SL in a fan room) - Planet Scuba only includes three nights in a fan room. We're going to be towards the end of our trip so having accommodation included is a big ++ budgeting wise. I would try and bargain them down a bit as there would be two of us, but I think having the accommodation included is a decent deal anyway. All three seem to have small groups - DJL 4 people, SL 6 people, not sure on PS.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on learning to dive in Koh Tao? Who to stay/do the course with?

Cheers,
    Ash

#1 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 05:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We're actually giving away a PADI course on Ko Tao today -- more information here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/travelfish-turns-five.php

#2 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 06:13

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

thanks somtam - will try my luck!

#3 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 06:59

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Smash,
    I don't have any personal input on those options but did dive with Scuba Junction, which included 50% discount on accommodation in high season. Not sure what the deal is in low season.
    The instructors there were amazing. My partner was taught by Ayesha, who's involved in the Travelfish giveaway this weekend. I cannot say enough positive things about Ayesha and her approach to diving. I'm already certified, but from watching and listening to my partner, I was incredibly impressed by her ability to make the course fun and, at the same time, be very safety conscious, which should not be under-estimated.
    Do you absolutely need to book ahead? What time of year will you be there? It's really best if you can show up and meet your potential instructor before committing to a school so that you can make sure that you will be comfortable with him or her and there are no language issues. I firmly believe that you should have an instructor that is completely fluent in your native language because if you don't understand each other, it can have disasterous consequences. I've dived when there's language issues, and it's not smart or relaxing.
    You may also want to check out your accommodations before committing. Some places are known for providing "free" rooms that are awful. Keep in mind that the free rooms are the most basic and least desirable rooms the resort has to offer. Depending on your budget, it might be better to get 50% off a better room. Or at least check out the "free" room to make sure you can sleep there. Scuba diving isn't fun if you can't get a good night's sleep.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 06:01

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

thanks amazon_blonde. will keep this in mind. we're probably going to be arriving a day or two after a full moon party (aren't we oh so original?????!!!) so probably guess that'd mean best to book in advance? for the better accommodation at least?

#5 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 06:24

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I think it depends on the time of year and your travel style. We showed up on Boxing Day - peak season - late in the day without reservations and were fine (although accommodation was certainly tight). There are so many dive shops and resorts that if you don't have your heart set on something in particular, and are flexible, you're probably fine except in peak season, and even then, we did fine.
    Keep in mind that tourism generally is way down in Thailand this year. That doesn't mean Ko Tao will be deserted, but it may not be the crushing crowds of yesteryear.

#6 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 00:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the feedback on Ayesha's dive training amazon_blonde -- appreciated.

smash -- you can read more about her training here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/travel-tours.php?id=2

#7 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 06:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Learning to dive in Thailand - where? ... By damo on 10 Nov 2009 9 2495 13 Nov 2009
Recommendations wanted for learning to dive in Thailand ... By GazzShaw on 29 Dec 2008 10 5190 21 Oct 2009