Scuba diving in Asia forum

Where is the best diving - Ko Jum / Ko Lanta / Ko Kradan???

• alexlazarus

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations of dive sites / shops for the isalnds above and a general concensus on where is best to dive. We're heading over in mid-december and the man wants to dive (he's fully PADI'd up). I know the area is no Ko Tao or Ko Maak, but where would he be best concetrating his efforts?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

#1 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 02:07

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Alex, interesting question this. I personally think the Andaman sea side has the best diving compared to the Gulf. I think you need to work out what you want from an island and that might steer you in the right direction.If you decide to head to Trang then Kradan could be your base.I believe the best dive spots to be off Lanta. These include Haa, Bida, Cruiser wreck etc.These dives can all be done with an open water ticket.Further afield you have a 3hr each way trip from Lanta to the famous Hin Daeng/Muang dive sites.These require an advanced open water ticket due to the depths and strong to very strong currents.These two sites are world famous.They can also be accessed from from down the coast closer to Trang.When I was last in Lanta I used Lanta diver which is a scandinavian set up which I found to be very professionally run.Check out the Padi website for the five star Padi dive shops and you can't go wrong.Any questions ask away..
    regards

#2 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 08:01

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"If you decide to head to Trang then Kradan could be your base."

I don't think there's a dive shop on Ko Kraden? Last time I was there (about 2/3 years ago?) there were just two resorts, the Paradise and the Paradise Lost, and a restaurant for daytrippers from the Amari hotel in Trang. None of these had diving facilities.

I haven't been to nearby Ko Ngai /Hai for a while, but there was a dive shop at the Ko Ngai Resort about 7 years years ago. There might be more now because quite a few new (upmarket) resorts have been built since I was there.

#3 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 12:15

• alexlazarus

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Thanks for your replies!

Alex

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 02:42

• travelhappy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hi Alex

I'd concur with Swag - diving on the Andaman side of Thailand is generally considered far better than the Gulf side.

Koh Lanta is probably your best base if you want to do more than a couple of days diving - also depends what you want besides diving. I would definitely recommend the dive site Koh Haa, which is only regularly visited by dive boats from Lanta - it's a cluster of 5 enormous rocks in the ocean that provides great diving on the outside and a gorgeous shallow lagoon on the inside which is ideal for snorkelling. Koh Bida (which is near Phi Phi) and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang are also must-sees, although as Swag points out, Hin Daeng can be a bit full on.

There is also a liveaboard that departs from Lanta if you want to spend a night at sea (they do 2 day and 4 day trips).

There are lots of good dive shops on Phi Phi too (e.g the Adventure Club) - depends if you want the more frenetic pace of life on Phi Phi.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Chris

#5 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 05:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Ko Kradan from Koh Lanta ... By aalarcon on 8 Mar 2012 5 3558 21 Mar 2012
KoLipe to KoNgai or Kradan then Ko Lanta ... By GilbertMcDonald on 20 Jan 2013 3 1618 21 Jan 2013
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1707 28 Jan 2013
NARIMA DIVING, Ko Lanta ... By scubafish on 22 Mar 2009 0 2013 22 Mar 2009
Scuba diving on Ko Lanta ... By scubafish on 21 Mar 2009 0 2642 21 Mar 2009
Diving on Ko Mak, Samaui and/or Lanta ... By rglempera on 9 Jan 2009 2 1494 13 Jan 2009
good price for scuba diving in Koh Lanta??? ... By kiwistacey11 on 15 Oct 2009 1 3404 15 Oct 2009