Scuba diving in Asia forum

Diving Vietnam/Cambodia in December

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest good dive spots in December, we will be in Vietnam and Cambodia from 11 Dec to 11 Jan. We would like to take a couple of days off at a spot that we can go diving from. We were going to do it off hoi an but I believe the weather there isn't great that time of the year.

We have one experienced diver, one qualified but inexperienced diver, and one person happy to come along on a boat trip and jump in with a snorkle.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 14:42

• Advertisement

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Diving in either is quiet poor. NT has been largely fished out, though still some coral. PQ is OK.

In Cambodia the reefs h/been decimated by explosion fishing etc.

Of the three i'd say phu quoc is the best, but if you can save for Thailand where the diving is much better but more crowded too.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:07

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Looks like Phu Quoc it is. Not intending to try and fit Thailand in this trip, maybe next time.

Just for my info what is NT and PQ.

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:19

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

NT=NhaTrang
    PQ=PhuQuoc

sorry

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The advice by spikbrain in the above is actually correct -- amazing you could actually manage to get something out that was accurate SB

#5 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 21:15

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Why is Hoi An not an option? I will be heading there late December/early January and was considering trying the diving for a day.

#6 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 09:15

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi,

Hoi An would have been our first choice but it looks like the weather that time of the year is against us.

At the moment, the rough plan is to allow 5 days for Hoi An and do a dive there, but if the weather is no good we will cut it back to about 2 days and do a dive off Phu Quoc.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 12:13

• Lodestar

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Actually have the same question, but for October. Mid-october, actually. Read that NT is not good at that time. What about PQ? Thinking of changing the travel plans and skipping NT and doing PQ instead. Am i on the right track? And how about the atmosphere in PQ and NT in general? Guess PQ would be a more relaxed, natural, less built-up and tourist-filled of the two? The accommodation seems pretty steep, looking at the lonely planet... Any tips?

Thanks a bunch!
    L.

#8 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:03

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

We are going to try Beach Club http://www.beachclubvietnam.com/accommodation.html $25 for two people, not sure if that is okay for your budget. It gets a pretty good write up on trip advisor.

#9 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 14:19

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

has anyone any experiences with diving around sihanoukville at this time of the year, meaning right now?
    would like to do some diving here, also recommendations for dive shops would be verz welcome. thanks!

#10 Posted: 12/12/2009 - 16:48

• Advertisement

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

to answer the question myself: I dived with ecosea divers, they have a shop or severa shops around sihanoukville. wouldn't go with them again, they are the cheapest compared to the others and I now kno why: our boat broke down halfway to the divesite (about one hour from the mainland), we waited for one hour for another boat to pick us up; the divesites were really nice (around kao rung saloem, visibility was good and I can really recommend the divsites. we had lunch on the island, some people also stayed at the island overnight and went diving on the next day again.

for the second dive they had to refill the tanks on the island, but the generator broke down and the extra generator was somehow slower. two tanks were not fully filled so one guy had to go up quite early and our divemaster was out of air after about 45min, so we had to go up, too although we were searching for some special fish and everyone else had enough air left. very unprofessional. equipment was quite old too.

so go diving in cambodia, its really beautiful, but go with another diveshop and expect to pay about 85 dollars for a daytrip with 2 dives.

#11 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 16:38

• noflyzone

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2010

In Vietnam look out for Cham Island in Hoi An - good and reliable. It's run by a very charismatic Italian/French/Vietnamese team and is multilingual. It was a first time and they were very gentle. Absolutely loved it and a key thing was having proper experienced people running the show...no 20 yr old kids.

#12 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 20:41

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I don't think you can get out to Cham Island in December

#13 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 21:48

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

How about Con Dao? Is the diving worth the trip?

#14 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 18:30

• TommyTrughm-
    an

Click here to learn more about TommyTrughman
    Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2014
    Location Canada

Have to agree with some of the others that the prime diving is probably in Thailand. Vietnam/Cambodia have some spots but they're more remote, and likely more expensive as well. Nha Trang is a maybe.

#15 Posted: 31/7/2014 - 17:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
vietnam and cambodia november 15 to december 2. 26m solo ... By chinodelavin09 on 21 Aug 2014 0 221 21 Aug 2014