Scuba diving in Asia forum

Vietnam in October

• Lodestar

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Hi!

Looking for some advice on dive spots in Vietnam in October. Where would you go? And why?

Right now torn between Phu Quoc and the Cham island. Also was considering Nha Trang, but the overall scenery is in my opinion inferior to the first two, as we are also looking for some chill time in a hammock under a palm tree between or after dives, then would prefer something less built up and more natural. Location wise would prefer Cham, as we are going to Hoi An anyways, we are short on time and going to PQ would take quite a bit, if we don't wanna fly. But diving wise, which would you recommend Cham or PQ? Where are your best experiences from? Any tips and ideas are welcome!

Now the problem is with the time of year, as i understand that October is quite borderline in Vietnam. Can anybody tell me, if the fact that it is raining means that dives are still happening, ust with worse visibility, or does it mean that the boats don't go out at all and nothing happens?

Any suggestions you can give me about diving in Vietnam in October would be extremely appreciated!
    Thanks
    L.

#1 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 23:16

• Advertisement

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Forget Cham Islands in October. Everyone in the diving & snorkelling pack up end of August. Season seems to be May - August.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2009 - 17:01

• Lodestar

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

DAMN! just read the same on the cham island diving web-page. that the trips only take place march-september. that really screws up some of our plans. Do you maybe have any other suggestions then???

any info is highly appreciated!
    L.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 17:39

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Don't know from personal experience but the advice I have had is that anywhere on the east coast is no good in that period (I too wanted to dive cham island). Phu Quoc is supposed to be good because it is in the Gulf of Thailand.

We are travelling early December to early Jan, and so have decided to go to Phu Quoc, get a dive in there and then leave the hoi an bit until about New Years, if we do manage a dive of Hoi An then well and good, but otherwise we will have had our dive in Phu Quoc

#4 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 14:24

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Considering there's a typhoon hitting the east coast of VN right now, Phu Quoc is probably the only option.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 03:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.